• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which specific compliments rub you the wrong way?

gromit

likes this
Based on a lil bloggy conversation, I thought this might be a funny/interesting topic.

Is there anything that people say to you that is a nice thing and a true thing, but that bugs you for whatever reason (while other compliments don't bother you as much)?

What is it about these things that rubs us the wrong way like that?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

My appearance, musical ability, my voice.

I pretty much disregard all compliments though, but those rub me the wrong way.

You can figure out why.

G

Ginkgo

When I was younger I suffered from frequent social anxiety. I had small, compulsory reactions to compliments; I would look down, deflect them, or broach the topic entirely.

I questioned whether people really meant what they said; I also wondered if it was even okay to feel comfortable with myself, my accomplishments, and other things, since I've always preferred a progressive mindset: there's always room for improvement. I think the atmosphere of my upbringing typically encouraged shame as a virtue.

Since then, I've learned to take compliments at face value - not to accept them as gospel truth - but simply acknowledge that someone said XYZ and take it into account for further reference. It's still easy to revert back to an unwarranted sense of shame, but it's a drag so fuck that.

gromit

likes this
One that bugs me is if people focus on optimism/cheerfulness. Sometimes it's fine if someone mentions it as something they like about me, but other times, it makes me SO ANNOYED to hear it.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I have trouble with being given any kind of accolades publicly or in front of others. Even if it's genuine, it makes me very uncomfortable if people can overhear it. While it's helpful to know people appreciate X or Y about me- I'd always prefer to hear it in private.

It's slightly different if it's work related- it wouldn't especially bother me to hear "you did a great job with that" in a meeting. But in more social venues it makes me very nervous and wary to distraction.

And also, it feels kind of awkward to get compliments about something I don't especially care about. I never know how to respond- if the person is complementing it then it probably means something to them, so I don't want to belittle it, but it leaves me with a deer-in-headlights feeling.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a nasty tendency to interpret "You did a great job!" as "Wow, color me surprised that you didn't completely blow that!" So I struggle to take that compliment as well as I should.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate hearing that I'm "animated"

Not even sure that's a compliment though.

I used to be bothered a lot more when people would tell me I was always smiling or always happy. I've kind of gotten over that though. Whatever. :rolleyes:

gromit

likes this
I have a nasty tendency to interpret "You did a great job!" as "Wow, color me surprised that you didn't completely blow that!" So I struggle to take that compliment as well as I should.

:laugh:

We have been struggling to teach my dad that people might not love when he says "actually... I really liked that food you made" or "that was actually funny", because his tone sort of implies that he wasn't expecting to enjoy it/didn't think the person was capable of being funny.

But then he says, "I KNOW... that's why it's a compliment, because I wasn't expecting it to be that way, but it was, so I was pleasantly surprised."

:doh:

I mean, I can see where he's coming from, but not everyone would interpret it that way.

S

Stansmith

Compliments regarding my intelligence, demeanor, or external appearance.

Mole

Permabanned
They say in massage we should direct our strokes towards the heart, and it's the same with compliments.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think I like them all, though sometimes I feel very awkward and am not sure how to respond. I think I'm immune because my mom is so over the top with compliments. She sees it as her duty to build our self-esteem, not realizing that when you gush about someone doing something completely normal it makes them feel less competent rather than more. Her heart is in the right place.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
For some reason I hate it when people say I'm "nice and friendly" -- which might be true, but which I feel doesn't come anywhere close to my essence at all.

"Weird", on the other hand, is a compliment. :blush:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For some reason I hate it when people say I'm "nice and friendly" -- which might be true, but which I feel doesn't come anywhere close to my essence at all.

"Weird", on the other hand, is a compliment. :blush:

Same here regarding the nice and friendly. It just seems so generic. Almost anyone can be nice or friendly. I want the type of compliment that distinguishes me from others.

I don't consider weird as a compliment though. I love being called unique though. Weird seems to be unique in a not so flattering way. At least that's the way I interpret it.

I also dislike being complimented for my hard work or effort, especially if the hard work failed to give me the success I wanted. Again, anyone can put in the effort but fewer succeed as a result. I want to be successful dammit.

G

Glycerine

I have a hard time believing any compliments that make me stand out. Some crazy people seem to think I am "brilliant" and "beautiful", and a "strong person". lol Most of the time, I see myself as at best, "average" and "weak".

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Cute". The word is harmless for infants and animals, but I can't think of a single instance of healthy behavior in an adult that could fit under the definition of "cute". If it's not a backhanded sneer, they're excusing awkward behavior that shouldn't be excused. People pull this out unfailingly when in my own eyes, I am at my least competent.

But that's expecting everybody else to have my perspective. If there's anybody who sees/uses this in a friendly manner, it would ease my soul if you said so. :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the ones where they compliment you to criticize you. I hear "I think you're great, but you're actually a shit head" just call me a shit head.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I struggle most with the 'Oh, you're actually kind of smart' compliments. People will sometimes say them in a genuinely surprised fashion, so I know they don't mean anything by it but...yeah. Dumb blonde stereotype ftw. For that matter, it blankets all those 'underdog' compliments. People seems surprised when Im focused, reliable, serious or knowledgable just coz I'm playful. I guess I should stop expecting people to make an effort and look beyond the snapshot of me in their head.

I also slightly distrust the 'wow you're pretty' kind more, not coz I don't like them, but experience teaches me that they tend to come with ulterior motives.

Im also uncomfortable when people want to put you on a pedestal in general as you rarely can live up to their expectations, which sets you up for failure and them for disappointment.

I suspect that I' would also bristle at the 'you look good for your age' ones that tend to be given once women hit 40. :dry:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's not necessary to compliment me because if it's true I'll already know or if it's not I'll know you want something from me.

G

Glycerine

I have a hard time believing any compliments that make me stand out. Some crazy people seem to think I am "brilliant" and "beautiful", and a "strong person". lol Most of the time, I see myself as at best, "average" and "weak".

Added on to this, I probably dismiss most compliments unless they seem believable to me. I am much more likely to believe criticisms than compliments because criticisms are where much of the truth comes from and then looking at the flipside gives a realistic view of your positives... well, comments on appearance are a crap shoot but things to do with character and ability apply (at least from my perspective).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My post from your blog, for the benefit of the rest of the forum (with two small edits to remove context):

Closest I can come to from my end, in terms of compliments that bug me, would be when people go "You're so smart!" ... it's in response to really, really shallow things -- (and) part of my annoyance comes from
1) the fact that it's shallow almost to the point of being dumb or no longer valid (I'm so smart because I'm interested in particular things? I'm so smart because I went to a good school?);
2) it's awkward (what the hell am I supposed to say to that?), because
3) it's putting a bizarre distance between them and me (as if they think I'm smarter than them? what if that isn't true? why does that even matter???), and
4) TBH it's putting a huge amount of value into something that I never think about, and twisting that weirdly arbitrary thing into a reason not to want to get any closer to me. Fitting me into a box or something.

Edit:
:laugh:

We have been struggling to teach my dad that people might not love when he says "actually... I really liked that food you made" or "that was actually funny", because his tone sort of implies that he wasn't expecting to enjoy it/didn't think the person was capable of being funny.

But then he says, "I KNOW... that's why it's a compliment, because I wasn't expecting it to be that way, but it was, so I was pleasantly surprised."

:doh:

I mean, I can see where he's coming from, but not everyone would interpret it that way.
Oh god, I do that exact same thing, for the exact same reason. :doh: :doh: :doh:

What type is your dad btw?