User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default People who don't know how to be bored

People who can't handle boredom. What is their deal?

I'm not saying boredom is great or anything, but for just a little bit of it drive them crazy????

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't tolerate it well. It feels like my skin is going to vibrate off my body and crawl away.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

I know no misery like sitting and having to listen to a boring presentation. Last time I had to was church on Christmas eve 2012. Let's see... first I tried to listen, then I tried not to listen, then I started thinking about how much I resented life and society for being as it is, then I spent the rest of the service wishing I was dead, literally, which made it really odd to lip sing Silent Night with the congregation at the end while holding a candle and half-heartedly pretending I wasn't in a state of near-catatonic despair.

Then again, maybe it was more recent. I went to some quantified self meetup, and some bastard did a presentation on urban tree population that made me feel like a terrible person, because god damn by the end I didn't give a fuck. Stood there for 30 minutes talking about trees downtown. And other people were like, asking questions and stuff, as if they cared?? Did they??? Like what the fuck is wrong with me?

That's just where boredom tends to steer me.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

You guys are amateurs.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Oh no, I'm a pro.

I've spent lots of time in church and chapel services, school meetings, school holiday programs, band and choir performances. I can do it if I have to, but I've never gained much of a tolerance for it and I have to have a pretty good reason for enduring it now.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Boredom are for people who don't want to do anything.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I don't get bored. If I'm not interested in what is happening, my eyes will glaze over and I'll just do something more interesting in my head.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I once sat for 4 and a half hours in order to receive a 1 minute x-ray of a tooth and a 30 second review by the dentist at the hospital I went to.

I was patient the entire time.

I once sat for 30 seconds during a viewing of Songs Of Praise with my grandmother...

...and wen't insane.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Let me read my paperback and I'll wait patiently for hours. Make me politely pay attention to your thingamabob for fifteen minutes and there's a 75% chance I'm chewing my leg off in my head.
    ~ John Rogers

garbage

I lack the patience to pay attention to things that I 'have' to if they are themselves boring. Though, things are.. more interesting if I see value in them (e.g. better pay some damn attention to this lecture if you want an A in this class, son).

If there's nothing specifically that I 'have' to pay attention to--that is, talking about general boredom (waiting around in a doctor's office or a party that wasn't quite what I thought it was)..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinmara View Post
    I don't get bored. If I'm not interested in what is happening, my eyes will glaze over and I'll just do something more interesting in my head.
    Pretty much this.

When there's some very distracting external stimuli, though, it's hard for me to tune it out and concentrate on doing something more interesting in my head. Then I get bored

I also have way too acute eyesight and hearing, so even a lil' but of external stimuli can be very distracting.