• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are psychologists worth it?

G

garbage

Hey [MENTION=20143]danseen[/MENTION], you should probably rerail your thread. The best way to do so is to make posts with actual value in them. At least--for the love of God, cut down on the 'bullshit member criticisms per post' ratio. You've been warned about this before. Best to not have to be warned about it a few times more :)

We don't normally do in-threads, but we're flooded with reports. Absolutely flooded. (That's not a good thing.)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on closer review of recent posts, this thread is now locked. Further mod actions are pending. You all should know better by now.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We're reopening this thread in the hopes that some worthwhile discussion may still be able to take place. Please don't prove us wrong.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The biggest benefit from my therapist, the thing that makes her worth it, is that she's someone I can bounce ideas off of. Talking to her lets me see my own blindness, in a sense. I can come into her office, sit down, have a cup of tea, and say "everything was great this week" and then explain how shitty my week was and then go, "OK, it was kind of a bad week. I need to fix this." On the surface, you might think that means anyone could be sitting there, but everything she does and says presents an environment where I can do this kind of thing. I can't tell my friends everything because they're invested in some of it, and are likely to change the data due to that personal investment, corrupting my ability to change things in my life for my own benefit.

That was rather my experience too -- therapy was a safe place where i had someone to speak freely with, who was not part of my daily life. One doesn't have to be a certified psychologist to play that role, but the experience they have + training helps them create that environment in a way that meshes with the person in question and know better how to say vs not say and how to draw out the patient to explore their own life.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm torn about therapy. I don't think all therapists are bad and don't have merit I just don't trust them to not tell if I say certain things so I keep a lot of things hidden rendering them useless so I'd rather quit therapy but I've agreed to get a new one. even though I don't see the use for me personally.

Mole

Permabanned
Unless we are psychotic, self help groups have been proven to be helpful since 1946.

Self help groups are now everywhere not just in the USA but in Britain, Australia, Canada and other prosperous nations.

All we have to do is go looking for the appropriate self help group for us.

I have given you a place to start with Share! but we can find many others on the internet in front of us.

Share! is interesting because it is a secular clearing house for self help groups. And of course there are religious self help groups. And they are all free.