• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are psychologists worth it?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They are - provided you find one who is able to make you feel comfortable and open you up so you can actually do the work that is needed.

Would you say that a particular personality type would assist such comfortability?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Would you say that a particular personality type would assist such comfortability?

One could hypothesise that an ENTP perhaps feels more comfortable with an INFJ, whereas an ENTJ perhaps prefers an INFP for his shrink. And I think the same could probably be true for the sensors. Though I think maturity and wisdom-level of the shrink as well as expertise in his or her profession probably counts for more.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
A good therapist is worth his/her weight in gold, IMO. Some are good and some aren't. Some are good for some people and not for others and good for dealing with some issues and not others. I got a lot of help from one that specialized in cognitive therapy. Another one I went to, I would have sworn she got her license from a cereal box.

I disagree.

If there are symptoms, then it lends to there being a checklist. Not some idiot's view of who warrants rights or privilege or not. This is what most of "these people" do.

T

The Iron Giant

One could hypothesise that an ENTP perhaps feels more comfortable with an INFJ, whereas an ENTJ perhaps prefers an INFP for his shrink. And I think the same could probably be true for the sensors. Though I think maturity and wisdom-level of the shrink as well as expertise in his or her profession probably counts for more.

I wonder what types are most common for therapists. Probably not ISTJs.

It can't be a mistake that INFJ is so often called the "counselor" type. I could imagine my therapist being an INFJ. She's been most helpful in areas of relationship dynamics. I'd assume that's because she does couples therapy as well, and is a bit older, so has lots of experience with the subject.

Interestingly, I've talked personality types with her in the past and she knows little to nothing about it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder what types are most common for therapists. Probably not ISTJs.

It can't be a mistake that INFJ is so often called the "counselor" type. I could imagine my therapist being an INFJ. She's been most helpful in areas of relationship dynamics. I'd assume that's because she does couples therapy as well, and is a bit older, so has lots of experience with the subject.

Interestingly, I've talked personality types with her in the past and she knows little to nothing about it.

MBTI is not exactly part of the psychologists curriculum. I worked at some point for a bunch of shrinks - though they were the kind that companies hire to evaluate job applicants for certain positions. While I was there, they got certified in MBTI because a customer of theirs wanted them too - and they knew little to nothing about it before that, and afterwards they knew all there was to about the theory but were unconvinced of its usefulness - aka, they just did it coz thats what the customer desired.

Oh and their types? The boss with 20+ years experience was ESFJ, and his team consisted of an ESTJ and two ISTJs. Their regular secretary was also ESFJ.

It was...weird talking psychology wit them. They knew everything they needed to know and were good at their jobs, no doubt. But it was a lot more focused on lists than on instinct, from what I could tell - with the exception of the lead guy. Apparently his ESFJ si-database allowed him to rely somewhat on his Ne and intuit stuff stuff, though he still preferred facts. I remember finding it bizarre that they'd want to become psychologists in the first place, but truth be told, the kind of company they were running was..well, perfect for SJs. Deadlines, rules, regs, specific traits to be listed and analysed and proposals to make to companies. They rocked it.

I used to play little mind games with the ESFJ boss, back and forth, and he occasionally came to discuss a case with me when he was unsure about something and needed to talk it through. Good times.

T

The Iron Giant

I used to play little mind games with the ESFJ boss, back and forth, and he occasionally came to discuss a case with me when he was unsure about something and needed to talk it through. Good times.

Ha! That sounds like it was really funny.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
bAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So I'm a bad person because I don't believe in metaphysical concepts? lololol... whatever, dude... yes, I don't believe in things that cannot be proven, or may not exist as persons believe, yeah, I'm worse than Stalin..

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As long as you do it without harming others, you do what you want. And yes, you should foster your own beliefs. Psychologists can help you on your journey through life though because they can help you address any blockages or inefficient coping mechanisms and make you aware of them, so that you can replace them and make your life, your psyche and your ability to deal with life more efficient and resilient. Think of it as pimping out your car, or upgrading your computer to be able to play the newest games.

But again, you need the right psychologist for that - and a cooperative patient who actually sees the value in what he is there to do for that matter. Kinda like you go to a ferrari auto shop in order to put in a new engine as it is a speciality brand.

..does that at all help? :)

T

The Iron Giant

The biggest benefit from my therapist, the thing that makes her worth it, is that she's someone I can bounce ideas off of. Talking to her lets me see my own blindness, in a sense. I can come into her office, sit down, have a cup of tea, and say "everything was great this week" and then explain how shitty my week was and then go, "OK, it was kind of a bad week. I need to fix this." On the surface, you might think that means anyone could be sitting there, but everything she does and says presents an environment where I can do this kind of thing. I can't tell my friends everything because they're invested in some of it, and are likely to change the data due to that personal investment, corrupting my ability to change things in my life for my own benefit.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
As long as you do it without harming others, you do what you want. And yes, you should foster your own beliefs. Psychologists can help you on your journey through life though because they can help you address any blockages or inefficient coping mechanisms and make you aware of them, so that you can replace them and make your life, your psyche and your ability to deal with life more efficient and resilient. Think of it as pimping out your car, or upgrading your computer to be able to play the newest games.

But again, you need the right psychologist for that - and a cooperative patient who actually sees the value in what he is there to do for that matter. Kinda like you go to a ferrari auto shop in order to put in a new engine as it is a speciality brand.

..does that at all help? :)

What are coping mechanisms? And what is harming others? Many people harm others and are not ill. So if there is some arbitrary selection, then this means it's an evil practice. And most people in my society don't believe in metaphysical stuff, so yeah, following social norms is evil....

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are coping mechanisms? And what is harming others? Many people harm others and are not ill. So if there is some arbitrary selection, then this means it's an evil practice. And most people in my society don't believe in metaphysical stuff, so yeah, following social norms is evil....

And yet many would benefit from a shrink. Hell, if we wanna be proactive about growing as an individual even when 'healthy' a shrink is a good idea coz they make for excellent sound boards. The cataloging of illness in psychology is rather fuzzy due to the grayscale they have to work with. Some clear disease often involve a biological component where the brain is wired differently or damaged, which causes a pattern of behaviors that is recognizable in most of the people with that kind of different brain, for instance. But then there is so much we dont know yet about the brain, it isnt like we have the inclusive manual on it.

So some pathologies are recognised by the behavioral pattern displayed by the patient. And thats where normal and abnormal become fuzzy - we just dont know yet.

And for the most part, the labels dont matter - what does is the patients ability to funtion in society and his ability to be happy. Life is tough and leaves scars on everyone. Some selfmedicate with alcohol, others with pills (clear coping mechanisms), others using projection to protect their ego under attack, or self mutulation, either physically or mentally/emotionally in an attempt to fit in and control the pain. These are just examples (eating disorders, OCD,control issues, adrenaline junkies, smoking, ... are some others) of how people try to cope with the pain in life. While some of them certainly have merit in moderation, others are perhaps good enough to get by but at a high cost . R
And those that are useful become often hazardous if overused which usually happens when people try to escape or avoid life in general as they associate it with pain. Instead of having a drink to relax, they stay drunk all the time, for instance.

This is where a shrink can help you uproot the cause of the behavior, make you aware of the stressors or trauma that causes it and guide you to address it and channel that pain in a more beneficial and efficient way. It tends to be a lot of work but the mental peace of mind and extra energy you free up with that efficiency is often worth it ( think 50s heating system compared to state of the art geothermal heating).

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
And yet many would benefit from a shrink. Hell, if we wanna be proactive about growing as an individual even when 'healthy' a shrink is a good idea coz they make for excellent sound boards. The cataloging of illness in psychology is rather fuzzy due to the grayscale they have to work with. Some clear disease often involve a biological component where the brain is wired differently or damaged, which causes a pattern of behaviors that is recognizable in most of the people with that kind of different brain, for instance. But then there is so much we dont know yet about the brain, it isnt like we have the inclusive manual on it.

So some pathologies are recognised by the behavioral pattern displayed by the patient. And thats where normal and abnormal become fuzzy - we just dont know yet.

And for the most part, the labels dont matter - what does is the patients ability to funtion in society and his ability to be happy. Life is tough and leaves scars on everyone. Some selfmedicate with alcohol, others with pills (clear coping mechanisms), others using projection to protect their ego under attack, or self mutulation, either physically or mentally/emotionally in an attempt to fit in and control the pain. These are just examples (eating disorders, OCD,control issues, adrenaline junkies, smoking, ... are some others) of how people try to cope with the pain in life. While some of them certainly have merit in moderation, others are perhaps good enough to get by but at a high cost . R
And those that are useful become often hazardous if overused which usually happens when people try to escape or avoid life in general as they associate it with pain. Instead of having a drink to relax, they stay drunk all the time, for instance.

This is where a shrink can help you uproot the cause of the behavior, make you aware of the stressors or trauma that causes it and guide you to address it and channel that pain in a more beneficial and efficient way. It tends to be a lot of work but the mental peace of mind and extra energy you free up with that efficiency is often worth it ( think 50s heating system compared to state of the art geothermal heating).

I don't believe that. You select arbitrarily who is ill or not, and not based on tests or standard diagnostics.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
and lulzz... so you're not even a decent person if you wish pain on people.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have had very good experiences with psychologists. They have made me more self-aware, by pointing out my own personal blindspots and being empathetic listeners. They were also free of charge, and never told me I deserved to be beaten or that I'm mentally ill because I engaged in premarital sex. I have no complaints, and so I think they are worth it, in my experience.

I am in a much better place mentally/emotionally than I was a few years ago. I was very skeptical at the time though, and initially assumed it would do nothing for me.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
OK, so prove your metaphysical values lol..

You don't get the world.

Raven Eyed Pantomime

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I did order a big ol' cup of crazy, but then again. That was last weekend.

Seems like someone's off their meds. What ever you do (and I can't stress this enough) don't pick em apart and go looking for tiny robots.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
eh? So you can't prove the value of psychology... OK.. maybe you need meds if you don't accept others hold opinions...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't believe that. You select arbitrarily who is ill or not, and not based on tests or standard diagnostics.

:shrug: Then you have a lot to learn still. It's not arbitrarily- though granted, you may not yet possess the insights or skills to make that distinction. Which, ironically, a shrink may be able to help you with :happy2:

As for harming others - that is my personal belief yes. Someone who inflicts harm on another is a) a hypocrite - coz I doubt he'd stand for the same treatment and b) immature at best and damaged at worst, considering the way our species works.

Purely objectively speaking though, society wouldn't function if everyone went around doing what they liked without worrying about how it impacted people around them. It would be pure chaos in a post-apocalyptic setting almost. So yes, some restraint on your part is beneficial in order to make society function properly. You should at least be able to appreciate the logic behind that. Otherwise, feel free to head into the bush and go into survival-mode, on your own without the help of society or others around you. Your choice.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
:shrug: Then you have a lot to learn still. It's not arbitrarily- though granted, you may not yet possess the insights or skills to make that distinction. Which, ironically, a shrink may be able to help you with :happy2:

As for harming others - that is my personal belief yes. Someone who inflicts harm on another is a) a hypocrite - coz I doubt he'd stand for the same treatment and b) immature at best and damaged at worst, considering the way our species works.

Purely objectively speaking though, society wouldn't function if everyone went around doing what they liked without worrying about how it impacted people around them. It would be pure chaos in a post-apocalyptic setting almost. So yes, some restraint on your part is beneficial in order to make society function properly. You should at least be able to appreciate the logic behind that. Otherwise, feel free to head into the bush and go into survival-mode, on your own without the help of society or others around you. Your choice.

No, you simply cited how psychology is nonsense and doesn't have the same ethics/principles of other medical branches.

And it is arbitrary, you people merely select to treat clients on random whims. Hence you all at random select murderers as "ill" and rapists as not. hmm.. whatever... Is this in the DSM, but yeah, the DSM V doesn't matter does it? lol..