• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are psychologists worth it?

Mole

Permabanned
Casual sex is of course politically correct and we even have a right to casual sex, but this mean eliding sexual bonding.

We have evolved to bond with one another. The process is immensely complex, of wheels within wheels, but we are never educated about the bonding process.

Bonding is kept secret from us for political reasons.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
:shrug: If you want to believe they're all hateful people, that's up to you... I don't think it's true, though, and I'm not sure I understand why you would want to see it that way.

I do encourage you to look elsewhere for professional assistance if you think you could benefit from it, though. You could try a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, for example - an LCSW is a social worker by vocation but trained in counseling and therapy. Or if you're seeking more medically-oriented assistance, a psychiatrist may be more useful.

For the record, I do not think your thread "means shit". I just note that there has been a fair amount of misunderstanding and accusation, hence "shitshow". It's not a negative judgment about either your thread or you. Just a neutral observation of what has transpired. I think it's a fine thread though I do not understand what you are gaining by grouping all psychologists together and choosing to think they are all bad.

A friend of mine who is a psychologist says she is fine with people choosing to have casual sex as long as it is done with an awareness of personal safety and wellbeing, including caution about emotional attachment and protection from STDs.

I feel like it is a very large leap from "several psychologists told me that casual sex is bad" to "psychology should be outlawed". All psychology technically is, is the study of the mind. Do also bear in mind that a large portion of the population of the world believes that casual sex is bad. While I completely agree that a psychologist should not be pushing their personal ethical views in a clinical setting, I don't think it's reasonable to desire a global moratorium on studying the mental processes of humans because a handful of practitioners pushed beliefs you don't agree with.

There is no global morality, and never has been. I only live by and care about the morals in my own society. Casual sex is thus a norm, so to assert it as bad when there is no clinical evidence to support it is wrong. They clearly live in caves, are delusional or flagrantly lie to their clients, or are rank hypocrites since they may cheat on their spouses in their private time or have a friends with benefits they see on weekends. Sexism is still right in many parts of the world, so what? It's not in my culture. To assert something as morally wrong (lol.. who defines that exactly?) and something is a pathology. Lying is morally wrong, but not a pathology per se. You're essentially saying that following what the many do in a culture is an illness.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Casual sex is of course politically correct and we even have a right to casual sex, but this mean eliding sexual bonding.

We have evolved to bond with one another. The process is immensely complex, of wheels within wheels, but we are never educated about the bonding process.

Bonding is kept secret from us for political reasons.

OK, so this essentially proves my point. So psychologists like to confuse patients, or deny how people actually behave in society? And they claim to study the human mind/behaviour?

Mole

Permabanned
OK, so this essentially proves my point. So psychologists like to confuse patients, or deny how people actually behave in society? And they claim to study the human mind/behaviour?

Look, in choosing a psychologist we look for rapport.

We look for rapport because rapport is associated with good outcomes in psychotherapy.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Look, in choosing a psychologist we look for rapport.

We look for rapport because rapport is associated with good outcomes in psychotherapy.

Eh?

these people:

- Control others
- Ironically do not get how society is shaped
- Hate modern culture

You tell me, if most younger people get casual sex, psychologists are somehow threatened by me getting it. They're probably scared women would prefer ME over their tiny endowments haha!!!!!!!!!

G

garbage

I feel like it is a very large leap from "several psychologists told me that casual sex is bad" to "psychology should be outlawed". All psychology technically is, is the study of the mind. [...] I don't think it's reasonable to desire a global moratorium on studying the mental processes of humans because a handful of practitioners pushed beliefs you don't agree with.
Let's also just ban math.

(postin' just to subscribe to this thread because it really looks like it may need a mod's eyeballs thanks)

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
No one said you weren't entitled to your feelings about anything/anyone here.
Just because some may not agree with your broad generalizations about a particular profession, it doesn't mean they expect you to/are demanding you feel the same way.[/.quote]

Are you sure about that?
Moreover, practically everyone here agreed that, based on your description, your specific therapist behaved inappropriately.

Most of us only ask to try to understand where you're coming from, however, open-ended questions appear to trigger your defenses and make you uncomfortable. of course I could be wrong, I don't know you. I'm not judging your character, merely sharing my perception thus far. Most people here aren't judging. Just asking to understand & sharing their own experiences in hopes you feel better after your own unpleasant experience. No one here is insisting you have to like anyone else, or that you see a shrink, dude. You're basing those conclusions solely on your own emotional reactions to what others say (&/or don't say), it seems.

then learn better communication skills. If you are hostile, I will react in kind.
Honestly, my impression now is that perhaps you've come here to flesh out/finish an argument you may have had, or wanted to have with your therapist, but perhaps didn't/didn't feel you could. Like you showed up here, set on keeping people & genuine interaction at a distance, by placing yourself in a perpetually persecuted position (say that one 3x fast, haha). Even when others overtly empathize with you, or try to.

Er.. no. I'm stating that psychology is evil, and its practitioners are scum.
Of course, by all means, correct me if I'm wrong. That's what healthy communication's for, right?

You'll notice this community has a lot of active members. Generally this is because a lot of people here have interesting (or at the very least, entertaining) discussions, & manage to establish intra/interpersonal support systems, and friendships beyond the forum itself. You'd do well to throw down the armor & explore that aspect further, I think.

I have no interest in making friends on this site.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have no interest in making friends on this site.

Duly noted.

I'm not much for reality TV, but in your case, I'll make the exception.
Carry on, sir.

:popc1:

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Is there a reason I must? do ALL who come here seek to do so?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there a reason I must? do ALL who come here seek to do so?

Nah, but then again, most people don't show up here looking to battle their own ghosts in public, either.

I've no interest in becoming another manifestation of your projections, so this is where I take my bows & watch behind the scenes, kiddo.

*tips hat*

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
projections?

eh.. you all assigned labels onto me. don't get in a fret if you don't get reciprocal actions..

though you're all therapists and detest modern society, so what do you know?

W

WALMART

projections?

eh.. you all assigned labels onto me. don't get in a fret if you don't get reciprocal actions..

though you're all therapists and detest modern society, so what do you know?

Only Sith deal in absolutes.

I did a Star Wars marathon this weekend, heh.

Though yeah, obvi, psychologists are worth it. Psychocognitive healing is an important and blameless intent.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never seen or needed one, but I'm glad they exist.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There is no global morality, and never has been. I only live by and care about the morals in my own society. Casual sex is thus a norm, so to assert it as bad when there is no clinical evidence to support it is wrong. They clearly live in caves, are delusional or flagrantly lie to their clients, or are rank hypocrites since they may cheat on their spouses in their private time or have a friends with benefits they see on weekends. Sexism is still right in many parts of the world, so what? It's not in my culture. To assert something as morally wrong (lol.. who defines that exactly?) and something is a pathology. Lying is morally wrong, but not a pathology per se. You're essentially saying that following what the many do in a culture is an illness.

No, please do not group me with people seeking to harm you. I am on your side in this and agree that what they did was wrong.

I am just saying that statistically it is unsurprising that some psychologists believe casual sex is bad, since many people do. But that does not make it right to push that personal belief in a professional setting.

I agree that to follow what the many do in a culture is not an illness at all. It is normal. And I agree that casual sex is a norm in many societies. I also agree that people who live hypocritically are being unethical.

I don't have a problem with people having casual sex, personally. I actually face a similar situation in my own life with many people in my society believing that cohabitation is bad, while I choose to cohabit and see it as a common choice young people are making in my society. It also turns out that when I speak to the people who think it is bad, quite a few of them have cohabited themselves. It is frustrating. The judgment feels stupid, useless, and hypocritical. I understand that. And if I heard it from a psychologist in a professional setting, I would leave immediately and file a complaint.

However, all psychologists don't necessarily have anything to do with that sort of judgment. There are research psychologists who work in labs studying neurons; industrial-organizational psychologists who work with businesses to determine best practices; developmental psychologists who work with kids with delays; forensic psychologists who work in criminology; school psychologists who help kids who struggle in school; personality psychologists who are interested in static traits, like the ones we talk about on this forum. None of those kinds of psychology are directly related to beliefs about casual sex. So there is not really a reason to desire lab research on neurons to be stopped because of a bad counselor.

I think that it would be a more accurate use of your anger to file formal complaints against the specific people who treated you wrongly, as opposed to being angry at people you have never met. Bad individuals are everywhere... I think it has more to do with the inside of the person than the job they are working. There are bad and good people in every field. Bad doctors and good doctors. Bad lawyers and good lawyers. Bad psychologists and good psychologists. Medicine and law are still good fields, though, and I feel the same about psychology. You happened to run into some bad psychologists, but I don't think it's the fault of psychology as a whole, especially considering that in many subfields of psychology, there would be little interest in the ramifications of casual sex. I think it's the fault of the specific individuals who mistreated you, and it would be more accurate to punish those individuals for their behavior, rather than seeking to punish a very large group of people who did not have any interest or participation in harming you.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Only Sith deal in absolutes.

I did a Star Wars marathon this weekend, heh.

Though yeah, obvi, psychologists are worth it. Psychocognitive healing is an important and blameless intent.

it is? OK...

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
How do you not see that as hostile?

You're going to fast track yourself on to ignore, unlike you're therapist no one here has to interact with you and its hard to have any kind of discussion by yourself.

She was hostile to me.

Perhaps she needs to communicate better social/communication skills. But then nerds often lack them, so it figures.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
No, please do not group me with people seeking to harm you. I am on your side in this and agree that what they did was wrong.

Are you sure? Psychologists believe their opinions to be absolute truth you know, guided by God/the Universe itself...
I am just saying that statistically it is unsurprising that some psychologists believe casual sex is bad, since many people do.

Sorry, but most in my generation do not. And?
But that does not make it right to push that personal belief in a professional setting.

I agree that to follow what the many do in a culture is not an illness at all. It is normal. And I agree that casual sex is a norm in many societies. I also agree that people who live hypocritically are being unethical.

I don't have a problem with people having casual sex, personally. I actually face a similar situation in my own life with many people in my society believing that cohabitation is bad, while I choose to cohabit and see it as a common choice young people are making in my society. It also turns out that when I speak to the people who think it is bad, quite a few of them have cohabited themselves. It is frustrating. The judgment feels stupid, useless, and hypocritical. I understand that. And if I heard it from a psychologist in a professional setting, I would leave immediately and file a complaint.

However, all psychologists don't necessarily have anything to do with that sort of judgment. There are research psychologists who work in labs studying neurons; industrial-organizational psychologists who work with businesses to determine best practices; developmental psychologists who work with kids with delays; forensic psychologists who work in criminology; school psychologists who help kids who struggle in school; personality psychologists who are interested in static traits, like the ones we talk about on this forum. None of those kinds of psychology are directly related to beliefs about casual sex. So there is not really a reason to desire lab research on neurons to be stopped because of a bad counselor.

I think that it would be a more accurate use of your anger to file formal complaints against the specific people who treated you wrongly, as opposed to being angry at people you have never met. Bad individuals are everywhere... I think it has more to do with the inside of the person than the job they are working. There are bad and good people in every field. Bad doctors and good doctors. Bad lawyers and good lawyers. Bad psychologists and good psychologists. Medicine and law are still good fields, though, and I feel the same about psychology. You happened to run into some bad psychologists, but I don't think it's the fault of psychology as a whole, especially considering that in many subfields of psychology, there would be little interest in the ramifications of casual sex. I think it's the fault of the specific individuals who mistreated you, and it would be more accurate to punish those individuals for their behavior, rather than seeking to punish a very large group of people who did not have any interest or participation in harming you.

Well I simply dislike psychologists since they are dishonest and pushy people.

You assert that "I don't know you", well you don't know me but you judge me lol.. Seemingly for a student of the science, you don't get human conduct. Unless you can prove how human beings are owed others' attention, or how your need for attention is superior to others? I want concrete evidence, not metaphysical nonsense as the "profession" cites.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
And I think you're offended since you're butthurt about me speaking the truth.

But then psychologists like to deal in metaphysical points. Kind of like how you'd protest "I treat you human", when you won't reciprocate loll.. yeah, psychologists study humans but don't get basic points of human behaviour, in that nobody owed others time, and nobody has to acknowledge you.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
And I think you're offended since you're butthurt about me speaking the truth.

But then psychologists like to deal in metaphysical points. Kind of like how you'd protest "I treat you human", when you won't reciprocate loll.. yeah, psychologists study humans but don't get basic points of human behaviour, in that nobody owed others time, and nobody has to acknowledge you.
I'm not offended, I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt by saying you were probably a troll. The only other option is severely delusional