• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are psychologists worth it?

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Ok so according to all of you casual sex is an illness but you post in other threads about friends with benefits.

Oh yes and some desuerve to be beaten up, ok and in other threads you all swy you are kind hahahaha...

Seems you tolerate patient abuse but i dont endorse your moral system...

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
And it seems lark is threatened by me having sex lol..

Ok explain why i cannot?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Ok so according to all of you casual sex is an illness but you post in other threads about friends with benefits.

Oh yes and some desuerve to be beaten up, ok and in other threads you all swy you are kind hahahaha...

:wacko:

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I said i dont endorse you moral system. And? I hate racism. A neo- nazi would not. Moral values differ.

Lark

Of course a psych isn't supposed to be a yes-man. However, they're supposed to establish a trusting, nurturing environment.
I know nothing about this individual's issues/situation, but if the psychologist actually told him/her (verbatim) "you deserve to be assaulted," that's a professional faux pas, potentially endangering the life of the patient, for all we know. But, like I said.. I dunno if that was just the OP's impression of what transpired, or what was actually said. If it were actually said, then I think some kind of report should be made on that particular doctor.

If not, well.. [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] makes a good point. It's hit or miss. Some doctors are useful, some are not, sometimes patients/doctors don't click for various reasons. Up to the patient in the end. You make valid points, as well, though. In the end it's up to the patient to be proactive about their treatment, no matter what. I don't think any of us are familiar enough with this person to really offer much more than that, in terms of conclusive information/advice.

I think that's the important point, I have the impression reading what has been posted already that they are at an impasse with this particular therapist but I also dont know that it is likely, based on what has been posted already, that they are likely to find another therapist any different.

It could be that my view is influenced by feelings of professional fraternity but I wouldnt expect any therapist to conduct themselves in that manner, saying such a thing as has been reported, but given the other things which have been said it does appear like there is hostility there and that it stems from feelings of irreconcilable differences, some of which actually correspond to the therapists challenging rather than validating of behaviour and beliefs. Some of what is involved there could be at least contributing factors as to why this person has come into therapy in the first place.

I agree that there's needs in therapy to establish a therapeautic relationship but that cant be established on the basis of lies or unconditional validation of clients. I'm pretty sure that even Carl Roger's unconditional positive regard wouldnt involve unqualified validation.

Validating beliefs and behaviours which are, or have become, maladaptive is really antithetical to a good outcome, it'd be self-defeating to be validating during the first couple of meetings and then take a change of tact.

I mean, that's all pretty commonsensical so far as it goes, its not even based upon much in the way of psychological insights or theory, just how people build up relationships in which trust and reliability or consistency is requisite.

Lark

And it seems lark is threatened by me having sex lol..

Ok explain why i cannot?

I can see why you are in therapy.

There is no way that you could know or conclude what you have just posted from reading anything I have posted.

Given that this is the case I believe it would be ill advised for me to engage in any discussion with you as you will not read what I actually write but instead project what you believe may be said instead.

I'll be honest, your posts show a lack of maturity, you are either young in years or attempting to troll the forum. I actually suspect you could be a dupe or clone account for another member because a real random thread of this kind by a super unknown visitor to the site seems unlikely.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
A good therapist is worth his/her weight in gold, IMO. Some are good and some aren't. Some are good for some people and not for others and good for dealing with some issues and not others. I got a lot of help from one that specialized in cognitive therapy. Another one I went to, I would have sworn she got her license from a cereal box.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Apso you were hostile to me so i am hostile back. It is how hu

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pretty categorical there man.

An internet forum (I'm not gonna say which one) helped me build more confidence in a few years than a shrink did in my whole life. Perhaps it's because of the anonymous status the internet affords, such as not really feeling like you're talking to people (even though naturally you know you are mentally), and therefore, being more comfortable revealing deeper secrets. Other people then respond...which is essentially what a shrink does, except he charges you.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Apso you were hostile to me so i am hostile back. It is how humans behave.

Lark

I looked over the posts there and none of them mentioned this. None of them said it was an illness and the implication of hypocrisy which you mention is similarly unfounded.

Again, no one posted such a thing.

Well, if your interaction with the other posters in this thread is anything to go by then your assessment of others is fundamentally flawed and unreliable.

Therefore I would think that your assessment of your therapist and reports about what they have said to you is, at best, unreliable aswell.

You're clearly easily upset, which leads to emoting and projecting rather than thinking clearly and weighing up what is actually being said, that is not a very adjusted and adaptive way of thinking and given that your thoughts are going to influence how you feel and how you act it could be a big part of what's lead to you being in therapy to begin with.

If you cant get a grip on that I dont think psychologists are going to be of any help to you, I'm not sure what will but I wish you luck.

Lark

A good therapist is worth his/her weight in gold, IMO. Some are good and some aren't. Some are good for some people and not for others and good for dealing with some issues and not others. I got a lot of help from one that specialized in cognitive therapy. Another one I went to, I would have sworn she got her license from a cereal box.

:laugh:

I know precisely what you mean, despite all the knowledge and skills training in the world for the individual practitioners and all the attempts to systematise and universalise key practices it is always going to boil down to the individual practitioner. Even as you say the individual practitioner and the individual client.

This, like most other things, I kind of think vindicates the saying about it is the individual not the office which is deserving of respect.

Lark

An internet forum (I'm not gonna say which one) helped me build more confidence in a few years than a shrink did in my whole life. Perhaps it's because of the anonymous status the internet affords, such as not really feeling like you're talking to people (even though naturally you know you are mentally), and therefore, being more comfortable revealing deeper secrets. Other people then respond...which is essentially what a shrink does, except he charges you.

:laugh:

Well, at least you can see the parallels, you know what you're describing there sounds like catharsis, which is a major part of what some researchers say is the benefit of some real old fashioned therapeutic practices as developed and practiced by Freud, like I mean towards the end of his career Freud was sitting behind of out of sight of patients, I'm not sure if it was he or another of his followers who used an actual folding screen, and they were essentially talking to themselves.

That wouldnt work for me, I dont think, I can attest in some ways too to the benefits of discussing things online though or friends both online and offline.

Martin Seligman in his pretty fair and objective assessments of therapy has concluded that if people had reasonable friends (not family, for reasons which Kyuuni, or whatever way its spelt, outlined too) it'd do the trick that therapy does. Erich Fromm suggested that there'd be no need for therapy if social relationships improved in the wider society.

In my own role and training the best thinkers I've read have always said that formal services should only be available to people who dont have informal support or when that informal support has broken down and part of the aim of a formal service will be doing something to restore or reform the available informal supports. It doesnt always work out that way but anyway.

On the other hand would you say you'd been lucky online? Could you generalise from that experience? I've known vulnerable people online whose heads have been fucked up beyond all recognition by bad contacts online, trolls, evil bastards etc.

Lark

Apso you were hostile to me so i am hostile back. It is how humans behave.

Who are you addressing?

I dont believe anyone was hostile towards you, what basis do you have for thinking or concluding that? Is it something which you find happens a lot? That you believe people are being hostile towards you?

I'm not sure that all humans behave, mirroring others I mean. I'm sure it happens a lot and unfortunately more people do treat others how they have been treated themselves, rather than how they would like others to treat them instead. What do you think happens when that is the case? I mean, does it work in relationships if everyone goes around mirroring others? What if they've been mistaken about others and behave in a manner which is then mistaken?

Right. Not saying anything more to you off the clock :laugh:

Mole

Permabanned
Do psychologists make sense?

I thought the basis of treatment was they help clients on any terms they want, resource/knowledge dependent of course.

So why do most restrict treatments at whim? I don't get it.:bye:

Well let us compare a prosperous, peaceful democratic country without psychologists.

Yes, Japan has so few psychologists, it's as though they don't exist.

And what is the result of this? The result is that Japan has one of the highest suicide rates in the world.

In fact psychologists are so scarce in Japan that Japanese who are suffering from Depression are advised to enroll in an English speaking class because the foreigner will listen to them.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I looked over the posts there and none of them mentioned this. None of them said it was an illness and the implication of hypocrisy which you mention is similarly unfounded.

Again, no one posted such a thing.

Well, if your interaction with the other posters in this thread is anything to go by then your assessment of others is fundamentally flawed and unreliable.

Therefore I would think that your assessment of your therapist and reports about what they have said to you is, at best, unreliable aswell.

You're clearly easily upset, which leads to emoting and projecting rather than thinking clearly and weighing up what is actually being said, that is not a very adjusted and adaptive way of thinking and given that your thoughts are going to influence how you feel and how you act it could be a big part of what's lead to you being in therapy to begin with.

If you cant get a grip on that I dont think psychologists are going to be of any help to you, I'm not sure what will but I wish you luck.

er.. it's clear that this is what was insinuated.

Also, not all people are logical. And many here do say they engage in friends with benefits.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Who are you addressing?

I dont believe anyone was hostile towards you, what basis do you have for thinking or concluding that? Is it something which you find happens a lot? That you believe people are being hostile towards you?

I'm not sure that all humans behave, mirroring others I mean. I'm sure it happens a lot and unfortunately more people do treat others how they have been treated themselves, rather than how they would like others to treat them instead. What do you think happens when that is the case? I mean, does it work in relationships if everyone goes around mirroring others? What if they've been mistaken about others and behave in a manner which is then mistaken?

Right. Not saying anything more to you off the clock :laugh:

Life is reciprocal, is it not?

Also Lark and others were hostile to me, so I will be hostile in kind. if we're all strangers, so be it.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
OK, hit somebody and most of the time you will be hit back. Insult somebody and they will insult you back. You claim wisdom yet you don't accept that human action rests on a reciprocal foundation.

Or you expect all others to treat you as human whatever the case may be? If so, you're not healthy..