User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 206

  1. #171
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default Share!

    Why not attend free self help groups at Share!. There are chapters all over the USA and the world.

    You can find Share! at http://www.shareselfhelp.org/.

  2. #172
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    What are coping mechanisms? And what is harming others? Many people harm others and are not ill. So if there is some arbitrary selection, then this means it's an evil practice. And most people in my society don't believe in metaphysical stuff, so yeah, following social norms is evil....
    And yet many would benefit from a shrink. Hell, if we wanna be proactive about growing as an individual even when 'healthy' a shrink is a good idea coz they make for excellent sound boards. The cataloging of illness in psychology is rather fuzzy due to the grayscale they have to work with. Some clear disease often involve a biological component where the brain is wired differently or damaged, which causes a pattern of behaviors that is recognizable in most of the people with that kind of different brain, for instance. But then there is so much we dont know yet about the brain, it isnt like we have the inclusive manual on it.

    So some pathologies are recognised by the behavioral pattern displayed by the patient. And thats where normal and abnormal become fuzzy - we just dont know yet.

    And for the most part, the labels dont matter - what does is the patients ability to funtion in society and his ability to be happy. Life is tough and leaves scars on everyone. Some selfmedicate with alcohol, others with pills (clear coping mechanisms), others using projection to protect their ego under attack, or self mutulation, either physically or mentally/emotionally in an attempt to fit in and control the pain. These are just examples (eating disorders, OCD,control issues, adrenaline junkies, smoking, ... are some others) of how people try to cope with the pain in life. While some of them certainly have merit in moderation, others are perhaps good enough to get by but at a high cost . R
    And those that are useful become often hazardous if overused which usually happens when people try to escape or avoid life in general as they associate it with pain. Instead of having a drink to relax, they stay drunk all the time, for instance.

    This is where a shrink can help you uproot the cause of the behavior, make you aware of the stressors or trauma that causes it and guide you to address it and channel that pain in a more beneficial and efficient way. It tends to be a lot of work but the mental peace of mind and extra energy you free up with that efficiency is often worth it ( think 50s heating system compared to state of the art geothermal heating).
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  3. #173
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    And yet many would benefit from a shrink. Hell, if we wanna be proactive about growing as an individual even when 'healthy' a shrink is a good idea coz they make for excellent sound boards. The cataloging of illness in psychology is rather fuzzy due to the grayscale they have to work with. Some clear disease often involve a biological component where the brain is wired differently or damaged, which causes a pattern of behaviors that is recognizable in most of the people with that kind of different brain, for instance. But then there is so much we dont know yet about the brain, it isnt like we have the inclusive manual on it.

    So some pathologies are recognised by the behavioral pattern displayed by the patient. And thats where normal and abnormal become fuzzy - we just dont know yet.

    And for the most part, the labels dont matter - what does is the patients ability to funtion in society and his ability to be happy. Life is tough and leaves scars on everyone. Some selfmedicate with alcohol, others with pills (clear coping mechanisms), others using projection to protect their ego under attack, or self mutulation, either physically or mentally/emotionally in an attempt to fit in and control the pain. These are just examples (eating disorders, OCD,control issues, adrenaline junkies, smoking, ... are some others) of how people try to cope with the pain in life. While some of them certainly have merit in moderation, others are perhaps good enough to get by but at a high cost . R
    And those that are useful become often hazardous if overused which usually happens when people try to escape or avoid life in general as they associate it with pain. Instead of having a drink to relax, they stay drunk all the time, for instance.

    This is where a shrink can help you uproot the cause of the behavior, make you aware of the stressors or trauma that causes it and guide you to address it and channel that pain in a more beneficial and efficient way. It tends to be a lot of work but the mental peace of mind and extra energy you free up with that efficiency is often worth it ( think 50s heating system compared to state of the art geothermal heating).
    I don't believe that. You select arbitrarily who is ill or not, and not based on tests or standard diagnostics.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

    Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

  4. #174
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    and lulzz... so you're not even a decent person if you wish pain on people.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

    Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

  5. #175
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    I have had very good experiences with psychologists. They have made me more self-aware, by pointing out my own personal blindspots and being empathetic listeners. They were also free of charge, and never told me I deserved to be beaten or that I'm mentally ill because I engaged in premarital sex. I have no complaints, and so I think they are worth it, in my experience.

    I am in a much better place mentally/emotionally than I was a few years ago. I was very skeptical at the time though, and initially assumed it would do nothing for me.

  6. #176
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    OK, so prove your metaphysical values lol..

    You don't get the world.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

    Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    [x]
    I did order a big ol' cup of crazy, but then again. That was last weekend.

    Seems like someone's off their meds. What ever you do (and I can't stress this enough) don't pick em apart and go looking for tiny robots.

  8. #178
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    eh? So you can't prove the value of psychology... OK.. maybe you need meds if you don't accept others hold opinions...
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

    Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

  9. #179
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    I don't believe that. You select arbitrarily who is ill or not, and not based on tests or standard diagnostics.
    Then you have a lot to learn still. It's not arbitrarily- though granted, you may not yet possess the insights or skills to make that distinction. Which, ironically, a shrink may be able to help you with

    As for harming others - that is my personal belief yes. Someone who inflicts harm on another is a) a hypocrite - coz I doubt he'd stand for the same treatment and b) immature at best and damaged at worst, considering the way our species works.

    Purely objectively speaking though, society wouldn't function if everyone went around doing what they liked without worrying about how it impacted people around them. It would be pure chaos in a post-apocalyptic setting almost. So yes, some restraint on your part is beneficial in order to make society function properly. You should at least be able to appreciate the logic behind that. Otherwise, feel free to head into the bush and go into survival-mode, on your own without the help of society or others around you. Your choice.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  10. #180
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Then you have a lot to learn still. It's not arbitrarily- though granted, you may not yet possess the insights or skills to make that distinction. Which, ironically, a shrink may be able to help you with

    As for harming others - that is my personal belief yes. Someone who inflicts harm on another is a) a hypocrite - coz I doubt he'd stand for the same treatment and b) immature at best and damaged at worst, considering the way our species works.

    Purely objectively speaking though, society wouldn't function if everyone went around doing what they liked without worrying about how it impacted people around them. It would be pure chaos in a post-apocalyptic setting almost. So yes, some restraint on your part is beneficial in order to make society function properly. You should at least be able to appreciate the logic behind that. Otherwise, feel free to head into the bush and go into survival-mode, on your own without the help of society or others around you. Your choice.
    No, you simply cited how psychology is nonsense and doesn't have the same ethics/principles of other medical branches.

    And it is arbitrary, you people merely select to treat clients on random whims. Hence you all at random select murderers as "ill" and rapists as not. hmm.. whatever... Is this in the DSM, but yeah, the DSM V doesn't matter does it? lol..
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

    Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

Similar Threads

  1. [Other] People, worth it or not?
    By murkrow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 04:44 PM
  2. how picky are you when it comes to alcohol?
    By prplchknz in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 05:55 PM
  3. [INFJ] Is the Truth Worth It?
    By fill in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 11:41 PM
  4. Medschool/doctor path... Im not sure that its worth it anymore.
    By Venom in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO