User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Casual sex is of course politically correct and we even have a right to casual sex, but this mean eliding sexual bonding.

We have evolved to bond with one another. The process is immensely complex, of wheels within wheels, but we are never educated about the bonding process.

Bonding is kept secret from us for political reasons.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    If you want to believe they're all hateful people, that's up to you... I don't think it's true, though, and I'm not sure I understand why you would want to see it that way.

I do encourage you to look elsewhere for professional assistance if you think you could benefit from it, though. You could try a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, for example - an LCSW is a social worker by vocation but trained in counseling and therapy. Or if you're seeking more medically-oriented assistance, a psychiatrist may be more useful.

For the record, I do not think your thread "means shit". I just note that there has been a fair amount of misunderstanding and accusation, hence "shitshow". It's not a negative judgment about either your thread or you. Just a neutral observation of what has transpired. I think it's a fine thread though I do not understand what you are gaining by grouping all psychologists together and choosing to think they are all bad.

A friend of mine who is a psychologist says she is fine with people choosing to have casual sex as long as it is done with an awareness of personal safety and wellbeing, including caution about emotional attachment and protection from STDs.

I feel like it is a very large leap from "several psychologists told me that casual sex is bad" to "psychology should be outlawed". All psychology technically is, is the study of the mind. Do also bear in mind that a large portion of the population of the world believes that casual sex is bad. While I completely agree that a psychologist should not be pushing their personal ethical views in a clinical setting, I don't think it's reasonable to desire a global moratorium on studying the mental processes of humans because a handful of practitioners pushed beliefs you don't agree with.
    There is no global morality, and never has been. I only live by and care about the morals in my own society. Casual sex is thus a norm, so to assert it as bad when there is no clinical evidence to support it is wrong. They clearly live in caves, are delusional or flagrantly lie to their clients, or are rank hypocrites since they may cheat on their spouses in their private time or have a friends with benefits they see on weekends. Sexism is still right in many parts of the world, so what? It's not in my culture. To assert something as morally wrong (lol.. who defines that exactly?) and something is a pathology. Lying is morally wrong, but not a pathology per se. You're essentially saying that following what the many do in a culture is an illness.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Casual sex is of course politically correct and we even have a right to casual sex, but this mean eliding sexual bonding.

We have evolved to bond with one another. The process is immensely complex, of wheels within wheels, but we are never educated about the bonding process.

Bonding is kept secret from us for political reasons.
    OK, so this essentially proves my point. So psychologists like to confuse patients, or deny how people actually behave in society? And they claim to study the human mind/behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    OK, so this essentially proves my point. So psychologists like to confuse patients, or deny how people actually behave in society? And they claim to study the human mind/behaviour?
    Look, in choosing a psychologist we look for rapport.

We look for rapport because rapport is associated with good outcomes in psychotherapy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Look, in choosing a psychologist we look for rapport.

We look for rapport because rapport is associated with good outcomes in psychotherapy.
    Eh?

these people:

- Control others
    - Ironically do not get how society is shaped
    - Hate modern culture

You tell me, if most younger people get casual sex, psychologists are somehow threatened by me getting it. They're probably scared women would prefer ME over their tiny endowments haha!!!!!!!!!

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I feel like it is a very large leap from "several psychologists told me that casual sex is bad" to "psychology should be outlawed". All psychology technically is, is the study of the mind. [...] I don't think it's reasonable to desire a global moratorium on studying the mental processes of humans because a handful of practitioners pushed beliefs you don't agree with.
    Let's also just ban math.

(postin' just to subscribe to this thread because it really looks like it may need a mod's eyeballs thanks)

MBTI
    INTP

[QUOTE=Lexicon;2171586]No one said you weren't entitled to your feelings about anything/anyone here.
    Just because some may not agree with your broad generalizations about a particular profession, it doesn't mean they expect you to/are demanding you feel the same way.[/.quote]

Are you sure about that?
    Moreover, practically everyone here agreed that, based on your description, your specific therapist behaved inappropriately.

Most of us only ask to try to understand where you're coming from, however, open-ended questions appear to trigger your defenses and make you uncomfortable. of course I could be wrong, I don't know you. I'm not judging your character, merely sharing my perception thus far. Most people here aren't judging. Just asking to understand & sharing their own experiences in hopes you feel better after your own unpleasant experience. No one here is insisting you have to like anyone else, or that you see a shrink, dude. You're basing those conclusions solely on your own emotional reactions to what others say (&/or don't say), it seems.
    then learn better communication skills. If you are hostile, I will react in kind.
    Honestly, my impression now is that perhaps you've come here to flesh out/finish an argument you may have had, or wanted to have with your therapist, but perhaps didn't/didn't feel you could. Like you showed up here, set on keeping people & genuine interaction at a distance, by placing yourself in a perpetually persecuted position (say that one 3x fast, haha). Even when others overtly empathize with you, or try to.
    Er.. no. I'm stating that psychology is evil, and its practitioners are scum.
    Of course, by all means, correct me if I'm wrong. That's what healthy communication's for, right?

You'll notice this community has a lot of active members. Generally this is because a lot of people here have interesting (or at the very least, entertaining) discussions, & manage to establish intra/interpersonal support systems, and friendships beyond the forum itself. You'd do well to throw down the armor & explore that aspect further, I think.
    I have no interest in making friends on this site.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have no interest in making friends on this site.
    Duly noted.

I'm not much for reality TV, but in your case, I'll make the exception.
    Carry on, sir.

03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTP

Is there a reason I must? do ALL who come here seek to do so?

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Is there a reason I must? do ALL who come here seek to do so?
    Nah, but then again, most people don't show up here looking to battle their own ghosts in public, either.

I've no interest in becoming another manifestation of your projections, so this is where I take my bows & watch behind the scenes, kiddo.

*tips hat*
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.