User Tag List

First 12

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Oh I agree, what you say is true. What I.mean to suggest is that unless you are a very calculated troll, the internet persona is probably not that much different than the true self. Of course we also have different facets of our true selves, no it's not completely static, but I doubt most people are that much different in terms of opinions and so forth.

I do agree that some people live out wishful selves online. However, only in a shallow way and for a limited time can a person keep that up. That cracks around the edges.
    I hope that's true, it would...ease my mind a bit.

About myself that is.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    yupp

me online is expressing things i wouldn't unless with people i feel comfortable with also i'm a lot more quieter off line. I get told that I'm so quite all the time. and here i get mistaken for an extravert. I'm not shy in real life, just reserved. I prefer to listen, over talk. But over all my online persona is part of my every day persona. I have the same thoughts off line as I do online, I just don't always share them offline

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    me online is expressing things i wouldn't unless with people i feel comfortable with also i'm a lot more quieter off line. I get told that I'm so quite all the time. and here i get mistaken for an extravert. I'm not shy in real life, just reserved. I prefer to listen, over talk. But over all my online persona is part of my every day persona. I have the same thoughts off line as I do online, I just don't always share them offline
    yeah...this is what i love about it. i love hearing people's quieter thoughts that they might not usually share.

i personally will share my opinions irl ...i just don't always have people around asking interesting questions tho.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I really do wonder, though. If they feel so strongly about certain things how could they not help themselves from making it part of their day-to-day lives?
    Societal pressure. Some cave in, some don't. Then you have the F-word: Fear.
    Fear of not being accepted. Fear of being odd man out. Fear of rocking the boat. Fear of suffering the consequences.

Any or all of the above.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Anonymous comments under news articles are definitely more abrasive where the political correctness can be checked at the door and a person can wave their bias freak flag. They can let out their TRUE feelings about what they think about blacks, hispanics, gays, women- whatever group they hate- and not worry about backlash.

As for these types of forums, I had a bad experience overall that I'm trying to recover from. And yeah- this forum and all of them are an illusion. What is someone's true self or not- can never be known. Must take it all with a grain of salt / not take it too seriously.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    INTP

I have thoughts I don't share offline. Why should I? lol.. I see no reason to do so.

garbage

On the whole, seems to me that personalities are less subdued online, since there's much less at stake.

Often, this is hand-in-hand with exaggerations. Anonymous posters use the opportunity to tap into their ape-guts and visceral feelings. At least, for example, I'd hope that only half of those who post that the President ought to be assassinated or somesuch actually believe that he should.

There are aspects of oneself that can't be shared through text alone, though--other context is necessarily missing. That said, there are some who I know only online that I cannot imagine getting along with in person.
    __

With respect to e.g. anxiety issues, the anonymity is a good thing on TypoC; as it facilitates psychological and interpersonal support. Personally, that's one of my 'pet agendas'--I'm a huge fan of that sort of support.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    It's more a commentary on how;
    1) people online are unnecessarily hostile towards one another. (though not here especially...but elsewhere definitely..)
    2) you can't take back what you say...particularly online..
    3) I hope those people realize this, or that it comes back to bite them in the future.

I really want all those people that are a bit too...caustic...to go back to their posts 10/20/50 years from now and be as incensed at themselves as I frequently find myself at them.

Not that I'm immune to this either. I've often expressed sentiments I wish I hadn't..

But I can't take it back.
    Bumping this thread with your post from the other. It's a discussion worth reviving. Check out the OP.

MBTI
    DEUS

Many people act on the internet as they would if they were invisible in real-life; with no repercussions for most of the things they can do, and the default non-person state of other netizens, what's to hold them back?
    Having said that, real sorrow is jarring to many abrasive types on the internet, because it is very relatable. Like a bucket of cold water, it stops them in their tracks as they realize that this non-person is actually microcosmos of experiences, thoughts and emotions, and "he/she was hurt by something I did." Anger isn't sorrow - it's strength, resistance and armor, hence it does not discourage the abrasive types, but instead motivates them.