Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    It is an important concept to re-frame emotional harm and abuse. There are definitely forms of physical pain that I would prefer over certain forms of emotional pain.

It would be interesting to scan brains of people in more acute emotional pain and see how it relates to physical pain. It feels more complex and encompassing to me, and there have been times I've resorted to inflicting physical pain on myself in order to reduce the sensation of emotional pain.
    I am the opposite. Physical pain is like a huge deal to me. Emotional pain has no comparison.

I am willing to be strung along an emotional roller coaster.

I am not willing to be strung along a physically painful roller coaster. I have a very low tolerance for pain.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Babies die from not being handled. "Failure to thrive"

MBTI
    INtP

In most ways, I'm the opposite from what others here have said -- I'm *much* more sensitive to social or emotional pain than physical pain. Enough so that I most definitely take conscious (and likely unconscious) steps to avoid it, even when it winds up being bad for me in the long run.

I mean, I don't like physical pain any more than anyone else does. But often it's understandable, and hence addressable. If I go to the gym and hurt myself (and I'm not, like, pulling from actual experiences here, no, not at all *cough*), it's largely a matter of understanding that I've done something wrong, leveraging my knowledge about how to address it (rest, go to a doctor to get it treated, etc.) and not something that I dwell on overmuch. It's very much an acute thing... I *expect* that it can be fixed, or addressed in a substantial way. I trust that I can get help from professionals, if needed, and that I will heal just fine. It's notable that I also believe that I can count on friends/family for emotional support in these cases.

Emotional or social pain, on the other hand, just crushes me. Rejection, particularly when there are overtones of "you're not good enough, kelric", is something that I don't handle well at all. That can be personal ("I'm sorry, I just don't think of you in that way"), professional ("We've decided to go with another candidate"), etc. - but I tend not to get over such things easily, and it's extremely easy for me to dwell on them for weeks or months. In these cases, I *don't* believe that friends/family will support me -- I tend to think that they'll "join in" and side with whoever/whatever has rejected me. The whole situation just throws me into a major funk that it's hard to recover from. And as such, I tend to avoid circumstances where I could be conceivably be put in that position. I'm much more likely to take a physical risk than an emotional/social one. Probably the largest failure in my life is the lack of ability to overcome this.

But skydiving? Sign me up .

Short answer... yes. I believe this wholeheartedly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

No. Sorry. Sticks and stones can hurt my bones, names can't hurt anyone. Fact. Everyone knows that.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Physical pain isn't a big deal...I'm usually not very aware of it until it becomes overwhelming (which in turn triggers panic). I faced a lot of social rejection growing up. Maybe social rejection isn't the thing here for me--it was constantly being judged that I got sick of. The culture, neighborhood, etc., I grew up in was very conservative. I was rejected a lot for being so different...people are cruel...what kind of an adult tells a child to their face that they're strange or weird? I'd get in trouble for that--my mother would tell me to act 'more normal'. Lots of encouragement to NOT be myself. It got a little better in my early teens, then got really bad when I went off to college. It got worse after I was married, too. I just tucked myself away from people because I was sick of it and sick with shame. Sick of the constant judgement about who I should be, what I should be doing, dressing, feeling, etc.

It's not until very recently that I got over all that crap and decided to just be myself...come what may. So now I feel a kind of indifference toward it. I'm not one for groups so I don't get pressed about not getting into a 'group'. If I get rejected on a one-to-one thing, I tell myself there are all kinds of reasons why things didn't work out. Sometimes people just don't mix well and more often than not, it's something that they've got going on because so much of our so-called interaction is really personal stuff that is temporarily sparked by others. Yeah, it can hurt but this reminder helps me from being engulfed by it and thinking that I am awful somehow.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I often wonder about the subconscious aspect of emotional pain. There is a way that people can suppress hurts and not experience these consciously, but they still have their effect. If not feeling emotional pain is part of a self-image, which it can be for some "T's", there can be an issue of subconscious harm. Then there are people who are honestly detached from a great deal of emotional rejection, but no one is immune from all of it. If someone declares that, then you can be pretty sure there is some degree of subconscious processing going on.

Edit: When it is subconscious, there is typically some reason it cannot be faced in its original context. When that happens, there is a re-contextualizing of it, and instead of standing up to their boss, the person may come online and holler at folks, or take it out on their partner, or pet, or stranger, etc. In extreme cases, some people remain calm and rational, but learn to push other people's buttons and end up making other people express the emotion they are feeling subconsciously, but are unwilling to admit.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

The difference for me, is that the memory of physical pain fades fairly quickly and completely. Social pain, if I think about a situation, the pain, the humiliation and shame, almost comes back full force even if it's something that happened when I was in kindergarten. It's one of the very sucky features of being a member of a social species, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    No. Sorry. Sticks and stones can hurt my bones, names can't hurt anyone. Fact. Everyone knows that.
    Interesting. Do you know what one of the main reasons is that some people cut on themselves?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Stansmith

I can tune out physical pain quite easily in comparison to emotional pain.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Interesting. Do you know what one of the main reasons is that some people cut on themselves?
    No, but I'm not sure if you realize that I was being sarcastic.

I heard this all the time growing up, and I always thought it was kind of bullshit, especially because it usually did bug me more than stubbing my toe or whatever. (Never broken any bones, so I can't attest to what that feels like.) This kind of confirms it.

I think I'm responsible if what I say bothers someone, it's just that sometimes I'm not good at anticipating what will bother someone. Or I'll say something, and then as soon as I hear it come out of mouth, I'll realize that I said that all wrong. My idea itself wasn't objectionable, but my word choice was unfortunate. I think in denotations, and it seems to me like Fi thinks more in connotations. Maybe I shouldn't blurt things out like that, but I find if I think too much about what my words will be, I won't end up saying anything at all. So I kind of like being around people with who I'm free to blurt things out like that (as a general rule. I'm sure there are exceptions.).

If I create a misunderstanding, I'm comfortable with clearing up a misunderstanding.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78