User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Emotional Blindspots

Are there certain emotions you have trouble experiencing yourself or perceiving in others?

I have been discovering that I tend to be oblivious to anger. Lots of time i miss it when someone is angry - i just think they are anxious, deep in thought, or maybe joking. I don't often feel anger, so i don't expect it in others. This actually gets me into a little bit of trouble occasionally. I've just had people surprise me that they are actually angry, or apologize to me for being angry when i never noticed.

It's a peculiar feeling to come to this realization, and i was just wondering if anyone else ever experiences something like it?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

For me it's the negative emotions that I have trouble with, anger and anxiety are the most difficult. Expressing sadness is not a problem for me.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Sexual ambition, for lack of a better term. Some friends of mine can spot it in others, I am almost blind as a bat in the presence of it.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I think the depth of anger is a problem for many NFJs. I want to believe that all of my motives are altruistic and that other people are that way too, so I tend to (or used to) tamp down my anger until I exploded. THEN I'd become aware of how angry I was.

I don't acknowledge emotional cruelty either. I tend to sweep it under the rug because I don't want people to think I'm a crybaby.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I can perceive what emotions people have and what(when I have one. Often time I simply ignore the person.)my responding emotion is fairly easily. The difficulty I have the most problems with is finding out what emotion they want me to have as a reaction ie the emotion that will solve the dispute so I can get back to whatever the hell I was doing before they interrupted me with their petty opinions and emotions.
    The Symbol of the King*The Absolute Does Not Exist*Kingship Will Bring Me Freedom
    5w4-4w5-1w9

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I don't acknowledge emotional cruelty either. I tend to sweep it under the rug because I don't want people to think I'm a crybaby.
    Sometimes cruelty doesn't register on my radar at all, unless it's in a more extreme or obvious manner. Passive aggression often misses the radar (or barely makes a blip) for similar reasons.
    The degree of obliviousness for those two depend mostly on how "numb" or stupid I feel at that time.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Are there certain emotions you have trouble experiencing yourself or perceiving in others?

I have been discovering that I tend to be oblivious to anger. Lots of time i miss it when someone is angry - i just think they are anxious, deep in thought, or maybe joking. I don't often feel anger, so i don't expect it in others. This actually gets me into a little bit of trouble occasionally. I've just had people surprise me that they are actually angry, or apologize to me for being angry when i never noticed.

It's a peculiar feeling to come to this realization, and i was just wondering if anyone else ever experiences something like it?
    I don't experience most emotions very often. I rarely get angry, sad, or excited. Most of the time I'm just optimistic and moderately happy. I probably come across as fake to a lot of people who can't relate to that.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Sadness for me. I can recognize it somewhat in other people, but in me I wouldn't be able to tell. Either I don't feel it, or it doesn't translate well. Even in a depressive state, I couldn't ever categorize myself as being sad, as I tend to become too emotionally apathetic to recognize that it exists.

Also, even though I do recognize it in other people, I am bad at responding to it. My friends have already learned this and have back-up plans if they actually need to talk about that sort of thing, heh. It sounds terrible, but I honestly have no way of responding without unintentionally making it worse.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My "people radar" had to be so hypersensitive growing up, I think I probably tend to read in too much rather than not notice a particular emotion at all.

I also find that my thinking could ruin my emotion perception: There are lots of things I actually pick up on but when i think about them too much (overanalyze), I confuse myself.

As far as my own emotions, the last few years have been a revelation for me in regards to a few emotions:

- Deep-seated desire (I had trouble knowing what I really wanted)
    - Anger (I didn't realize how mad I was over something = hurt over something)
    - Disappointment in others or a situation.

All emotions I had learned to ignore/neglect as a child, to survive my life. But you can tear down the blocks and "regain" them, I think.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm a disallower of disappointment too.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic