User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Unhappy Borderline Personality Disorder

I highly suspect a friend of mine has this disorder. Does anyone have experience with it?
    From the BPD central website http://www.bpdcentral.com/:

People with borderline personality disorder see people as all good or all bad and have extreme, blink-of-an-eye mood swings. Their fear of abandonment, combined with feelings of emptiness and self-loathing, makes others feel like they're constantly walking on eggshells.
    Some borderline individuals are suicidal and self-harm. Other rage, criticize, and make wild accusations. People with BPD suffer, and so do those around them. About a third of people with BPD also have narcissistic personality disorder (NPD); they are especially unwilling to look at themselves and their own behavior.

I have the gift of gab and I have totally had to walk on eggshells with this person. They exhibit the majority of the classic symptoms (that I know of) and perhaps more I don't know of. But I'm really at a loss of what to do.

Anyone else experience this disorder in their world?
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

Glycerine

It's never a good idea to diagnose someone like that.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    agreed
    I didn't see either of your posts at first (???) and was about to say the same exact thing...but say it kinda like I was the first person to say it...
    @AzulEyes

That's a mighty big Axis II diagnosis you're tossing around there. And something most mental health professionals wouldn't touch without a PhD and some specialization in Personality Disorders.

Please keep in mind as well that there are so many other disorders that can mimic the symptoms of...so many other disorders.

If you are concerned about your friend's wellbeing...I'm assuming there are alternative ways you can best assist her.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I used to score high for BPD. Not much anymore though, thankfully.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I told my mom she had BPD once, she did not react well

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

You may want to encourage her to see a psychologist. Diagnosing her yourself is only gonna make her upset with you (especially if you feel like you're walking on eggshells with her). If she really does have BPD she'll be referred to someone who has specialized training in treating it. Sadly I don't think there's much you can do otherwise besides offer meaningful words of encouragement.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I told my mom she had BPD once, she did not react well

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Diagnosing her yourself is only gonna make her upset with you (especially if you feel like you're walking on eggshells with her).
    Especially with one of the most stigmatized disorders there is, which helps nobody in situations like this...
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    I didn't see either of your posts at first (???) and was about to say the same exact thing...but say it kinda like I was the first person to say it...
    @AzulEyes

That's a mighty big Axis II diagnosis you're tossing around there. And something most mental health professionals wouldn't touch without a PhD and some specialization in Personality Disorders.

Please keep in mind as well that there are so many other disorders that can mimic the symptoms of...so many other disorders.

If you are concerned about your friend's wellbeing...I'm assuming there are alternative ways you can best assist her.
    ^ This!

... As for the actual question in the OP, I have a very close friend with BPD. She is a fantastic friend, very loyal and caring. We've been friends since high school, and while she's very flighty and prone towards making her major life decisions based on impulse, seemingly always with the aim to escape, there are some friends she's always stuck with. I am one of those friends, because I'm steady and reliable. She's told me that as someone who is constantly worried about what other people think of her, and who is very easily hurt by people's comments, she values having a friend who is straightforward and whose motives she will never have to question.

Anyway -- I brought up why she likes me because one way that you could help your friend, without armchair diagnosing them, is by just being there for them. Looking out for them in ways that you know will be soothing to their neuroses -- i.e. what concerns them the most in their everyday life.

Edit: I know so little details about your friend, or the situation, that I can't say for sure whether my advice would make sense... So take this with a grain of salt. Or disregard.

Another edit: I had been friends with this girl for over five years before she told me she had BPD -- so it's worth noting that when I say cater to your friend's needs, I don't mean cater to what you THINK their needs are based on the armchair diagnosis. I mean, cater to your friend's needs based on who they really are.

Ugh I never should have brought up that my friend has BPD... That information is not conducive to my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Especially with one of the most stigmatized disorders there is, which helps nobody in situations like this...
    ^ This too!!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Aurora James liked this post