User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I wish there were a "like button" as I want to show appreciation to every one of you.
    I feel so much better after listening to all of you.
    And as for hasty diagnosis- this is far from hasty for me unfortunately. Been living it for 2years and reading about it and dealing with it.
    And yes- I ended the friendship. But seeing some of you state that reality in your posts makes it even more real. Deep down I hope our friendship can be rekindled- but somehow- I think that just won't happen.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I do appreciate everyone saying we shouldn't diagnose - but yeah- when I broke my shoulder and all the symptoms pointed to a broken shoulder- my sister said, "I think you broke your shoulder. You should go check to be sure at the ER.) I think it's okay. And again- if the person on the receiving end cannot deal with it--- then what can I say? I also cannot deal with having been a punching bag and listening to dillusions all the time from my friend. This affected me big time too. Still does.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

Glycerine

The thing is that there are overlaps with other diagnoses so unless you are trained specifically to know how to make differential diagnoses, it's typically not the best idea. It could be Borderline Personality Disorder, severe PTSD (especially if any trauma was of an interpersonal nature), Bipolar Disorder, adult RAD (reactive attachment disorder), or a combination of things.

The mind is a highly subjective experience dependent on the individual whereas a broken shoulder is pretty straightforward.

A competent psychologist tries to figure out the etiology of the symptoms and then finds the best fit diagnoses to determine the best course of treatment for the individual. If the diagnoses is just based on surface behavior and actions which fit the "criteria", then incorrect assumptions might be made. This alienates the individual and the wrong type of treatment may be applied.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    The thing is that there are overlaps with other diagnoses so unless you are trained specifically to know how to make differential diagnoses, it's typically not the best idea. It could be Borderline Personality Disorder, severe PTSD (especially if any trauma was of an interpersonal nature), Bipolar Disorder, adult RAD (reactive attachment disorder), or a combination of things.

The mind is a highly subjective experience dependent on the individual whereas a broken shoulder is pretty straightforward.

A competent psychologist tries to figure out the etiology of the symptoms and then finds the best fit diagnoses to determine the best course of treatment for the individual. If the diagnoses is just based on surface behavior and actions which fit the "criteria", then incorrect assumptions might be made. This alienates the individual and the wrong type of treatment may be applied.
    also the same reason, why you shouldn't diagonose yourself. that and self bias.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you shouldn't diagonose yourself. that and self bias.
    And for exactly the same reason we shouldn't apply a personality test to ourselves and then interpret the test ourselves.

And yet this is precisely what we do with mbti.

So using mbti has a moral dimension. Mbti undermines intellectual integrity and makes us vulnerable to those who want to entrance us with the New Age.

So mbti is a way of gaining power over our minds. And power, as we know, tends to corrupt.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

So, if it is made up, why do you rarely get into arguments with IxFPs? Just something I've noticed.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    So, if it is made up
    Carl Jung himself wrote that his book, "Psychological Types", the origin of mbti, is based on no empirical evidence.

So the fount and origin of mbti says it is made up.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I don't even know how to recognize this disorder. I suspect a few of my clients of having it. I've heard other counsellors mention its not worth counselling them because they are bad for business.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I think the difference between being a teenager and having BPD is the extent to which you harm yourself and others -- a question of degree -- also a question of how much control the person has of themselves. Some folks with BPD or those Cluster B types of disorders have real trouble correcting themselves. It's said to be nearly impossible to treat. Teenagers who are healthy can make better choices fairly easily.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post

This is basically what I would have posted. Great wisdom and advice.