• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do people with higher level of arrogance over compensate

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm wondering this, because a lot of arrogant people I've met, tend to not be as smart they let on. I'm just curious if they realize they're not as intelligent they want to be, and by being arrogant they think they're fooling people into thinking they're more intelligent people.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I think this is true of a lot of arrogant people.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to be arrogant enough to suggest that me and my comments as presented in the The ESFP "stupid" myth. thread were a prime cause for the creation of this thread.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Fake it until you make it."

Or something to that sort. There is some studies that show that if you fake it, it can become true later on, or at least a lot better later on.

Maybe you want to be better at playing sports. Just taunting how good you are, even though you aren't that great, might actually make you to become a lot better in sports later on.

Or maybe what I just said is what you meant?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Arrogance on some level has to be social positioning. If you were the only person on the planet, what would arrogance mean? Who are you better than? It is a desire for social superiority even for introverts and people do don't want to interact with other people, arrogance is still a conceptual way of being superior. If that is a correct way of understanding it, then it isn't so much the level of skill that determines arrogance, but how a person defines their social position. That has to be maintained through skill or appearance, and the more focused it is on the external, the less it would seem to matter which method (skill or appearance) it was that achieved the external advantage.

W

WALMART

Eight ball
I could climb any fountains
I never cry
I only bawl when I'm losing
And I've never been wrong
Never been wrong
Never been wrong
I'm looking so good
Looking so good
Looking so good

I think a lot of people truly want to be the best, desire being the lynchpin of all emotion.

baccheion

Most people who are smart are naturally not very arrogant. The rest learn to not be because someone comes along that's smarter than them, or they fail. The rest (the ones who remain arrogant) are too stupid to realize how stupid they are, or think they can bully/cheat their way out of every situation. They like playing on the goodness/meekness/kindness of others. That is, some people quiet down when they start to realize their place in the world, while others ratchet up the bullshit, constantly deluding themselves into believing they are greater than they are.

As for me, I'm just naturally not an arrogant person, though I have been accused of being arrogant (usually by shit who didn't get the subservient stupid shit they wanted).

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
To give a little bit of credit, perception creates a world of difference.

I'm sure many of my soldiers felt I was extremely arrogant despite the fact I had shortcomings as a soldier. Partly because a sense of authority and absolute decision-making came with my job, and partly because they just didn't understand the job because they weren't doing it themselves. I could look like a dumb ass on certain parts of field training as it wasn't my specialty, but that never took away from my primary mission and my need to keep things orderly. I could easily have seen myself mistaken for arrogant yet stupid in this way.

There are plenty of arrogant people out there with no cause or reason to be that way and yet are over the top anyways to help keep up some form of 'respect' despite shortcomings.. but generally, I find that many arrogant people without due cause to be in some way are arrogant because the people around them either never said anything to them about how shitty they were coming off, or they belittled them too much and forced them to find a source of confidence on their own.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Every so often I will deliberately act in a way that would appear arrogant, in order to obtain a desired result. Usually this involves steering a discussion, or perhaps a decision, or making a specific impresson on someone. When I do this, I am very conscious that I am pushing the limits in what I claim for myself, not usually in intelligence but rather in other abilities. Still, I don't so much exaggerate what I can do, as just blow my own horn very loudly, something I generally avoid.

Outside of these few circumstances, I have no idea whether people consider me arrogant. I do know that whatever I claim, I can generally back up, and then some.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Basically, people with low levels of skill don't realize what actually makes someone skillful, and thus tend to significantly over-rate their own level of competence.

Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
  1. tend to overestimate their own level of skill;
  2. fail to recognize genuine skill in others;
  3. fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;
  4. recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they are exposed to training for that skill.

However, those who have high levels of skill will still figure they have highish levels of skill, but will underestimate themselves overall.

I don't think everyone who is arrogant is simply putting on a show. I think real self-knowledge can put you in a position of understanding that you really do know what is best in a situation and thus should take authority where others are going to botch things up. It's not always clear when the situations are, but in general, if you have previous experience and proven aptitude that means a great deal.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think everyone who is arrogant is simply putting on a show. I think real self-knowledge can put you in a position of understanding that you really do know what is best in a situation and thus should take authority where others are going to botch things up. It's not always clear when the situations are, but in general, if you have previous experience and proven aptitude that means a great deal.
I didn't think it was arrogance if the claims were accurate. Arrogance is overrepresenting what you can do.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I didn't think it was arrogance if the claims were accurate. Arrogance is overrepresenting what you can do.

Generally arrogance has a connotation of some inflated ego, but not nesessarily inaccuracy:

adj.
1. Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
2. Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others:

I think [MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] was quite right to touch upon the fact that it's (generally) a social phenomenon that relates to superiority/inferiority, and it's in that spirit that I don't think arrogance is about accuracy, rather, it's about the display of superiority.

*Other* people might find your displays of self-importance overbearing, for instance, even if you're quite right that your role in a given situation is an essential one or that you know what you're talking about better than others and thus should be in charge in a situation*.

*It's also possible you can conduct yourself in ways that feel more or less overbearing to others while still 'taking the reigns', but in any case there is likely to be some amount of strain and tension involved as there will likely be some disagreement about what's right.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Generally arrogance has a connotation of some inflated ego, but not nesessarily inaccuracy:

adj.
1. Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
2. Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others:

I think [MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] was quite right to touch upon the fact that it's (generally) a social phenomenon that relates to superiority/inferiority, and it's in that spirit that I don't think arrogance is about accuracy, rather, it's about the display of superiority.

*Other* people might find your displays of self-importance overbearing, for instance, even if you're quite right that your role in a given situation is an essential one or that you know what you're talking about better than others and thus should be in charge in a situation*.

*It's also possible you can conduct yourself in ways that feel more or less overbearing to others while still 'taking the reigns', but in any case there is likely to be some amount of strain and tension involved as there will likely be some disagreement about what's right.
Interesting. The definitions I am more familiar with focus on the aspect of exaggeration:
exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner
although they also mention an overbearing manner, which is more in keeping with your definition. I suppose if someone is accurate but obnoxious about it, I usually call them something else instead of arrogant -- overbearing, bossy, egotistical, etc.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Interesting. The definitions I am more familiar with focus on the aspect of exaggeration:

although they also mention an overbearing manner, which is more in keeping with your definition. I suppose if someone is accurate but obnoxious about it, I usually call them something else instead of arrogant -- overbearing, bossy, egotistical, etc.

Hmm the way I see it (further elaborating) is someone might in fact be accurate about say, understanding a situation better, or being better qualified, or whatever, but then use that 'high ground' to justify behavior incongruent with the mismatch in superiority.

"I'm better at math, so I'm a better qualified to do math" vs "I'm better at math, so I'm a better person than you are" or "I'm better at math, you sure are worthless."

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Honestly it was a generalization and a hypothesis.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think some people might think I'm arrogant, but the thing is, there are so many things I'm not actually sure about. And I'm actually ok with admitting that much of the time, except for one thing.... if you express doubt, too many people take that to mean you have no clue of what you're talking about, and dismiss you entirely.

I find that I get better results if I fake certainty. Very few people will take the time to actually think about what I'm saying, and accept or dismiss it based on the contents. People seem to be more susceptible to my tone, and what they think that says about me. So sometimes, I will phrase things in such a way that makes me sound more certain than I actually am.

Yes, it's fake Fe crap, but I'd rather do that than bitch about how everyone dismisses everything I say without even thinking about it. Which would be the alternative for me.

It's less about being threatened by the idea of being wrong as it is loathing the idea of being written off entirely. I mean, I've noticed people get away with saying the dumbest shit, but people buy into it just because they said it confidently. That's really what's needed to sell something to a lot of people, just that confident attitude. It's kind of shocking how little attention people pay to the content.