User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default Do people with higher level of arrogance over compensate

I'm wondering this, because a lot of arrogant people I've met, tend to not be as smart they let on. I'm just curious if they realize they're not as intelligent they want to be, and by being arrogant they think they're fooling people into thinking they're more intelligent people.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, I think this is true of a lot of arrogant people.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I'm going to be arrogant enough to suggest that me and my comments as presented in the The ESFP "stupid" myth. thread were a prime cause for the creation of this thread.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I'm going to be arrogant enough to suggest that me and my comments as presented in the The ESFP "stupid" myth. thread were a prime cause for the creation of this thread.
    don't flatter yourself, i had a different person in mind.

"Fake it until you make it."

Or something to that sort. There is some studies that show that if you fake it, it can become true later on, or at least a lot better later on.

Maybe you want to be better at playing sports. Just taunting how good you are, even though you aren't that great, might actually make you to become a lot better in sports later on.

Or maybe what I just said is what you meant?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Arrogance on some level has to be social positioning. If you were the only person on the planet, what would arrogance mean? Who are you better than? It is a desire for social superiority even for introverts and people do don't want to interact with other people, arrogance is still a conceptual way of being superior. If that is a correct way of understanding it, then it isn't so much the level of skill that determines arrogance, but how a person defines their social position. That has to be maintained through skill or appearance, and the more focused it is on the external, the less it would seem to matter which method (skill or appearance) it was that achieved the external advantage.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

WALMART

Eight ball
    I could climb any fountains
    I never cry
    I only bawl when I'm losing
    And I've never been wrong
    Never been wrong
    Never been wrong
    I'm looking so good
    Looking so good
    Looking so good

I think a lot of people truly want to be the best, desire being the lynchpin of all emotion.

Most people who are smart are naturally not very arrogant. The rest learn to not be because someone comes along that's smarter than them, or they fail. The rest (the ones who remain arrogant) are too stupid to realize how stupid they are, or think they can bully/cheat their way out of every situation. They like playing on the goodness/meekness/kindness of others. That is, some people quiet down when they start to realize their place in the world, while others ratchet up the bullshit, constantly deluding themselves into believing they are greater than they are.

As for me, I'm just naturally not an arrogant person, though I have been accused of being arrogant (usually by shit who didn't get the subservient stupid shit they wanted).

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

To give a little bit of credit, perception creates a world of difference.

I'm sure many of my soldiers felt I was extremely arrogant despite the fact I had shortcomings as a soldier. Partly because a sense of authority and absolute decision-making came with my job, and partly because they just didn't understand the job because they weren't doing it themselves. I could look like a dumb ass on certain parts of field training as it wasn't my specialty, but that never took away from my primary mission and my need to keep things orderly. I could easily have seen myself mistaken for arrogant yet stupid in this way.

There are plenty of arrogant people out there with no cause or reason to be that way and yet are over the top anyways to help keep up some form of 'respect' despite shortcomings.. but generally, I find that many arrogant people without due cause to be in some way are arrogant because the people around them either never said anything to them about how shitty they were coming off, or they belittled them too much and forced them to find a source of confidence on their own.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Every so often I will deliberately act in a way that would appear arrogant, in order to obtain a desired result. Usually this involves steering a discussion, or perhaps a decision, or making a specific impresson on someone. When I do this, I am very conscious that I am pushing the limits in what I claim for myself, not usually in intelligence but rather in other abilities. Still, I don't so much exaggerate what I can do, as just blow my own horn very loudly, something I generally avoid.

Outside of these few circumstances, I have no idea whether people consider me arrogant. I do know that whatever I claim, I can generally back up, and then some.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...