User Tag List

123 Last

Default Music and Internal Worlds

This might be related to introversion specifically, but I've always had a problem when it comes to music. I listen to music that fits my different moods and allows me to trance myself into different internal worlds full of, well ... passion. I've tried to share this with other people, but when I do, they usually don't understand or see what I do and will get nothing out of it.

And maybe this is enneagram 4 related, but does anyone else have this problem and if so, what do you do about it? Or what do you do that makes you feel better about it? Because it kind of frustrates me sometimes; I feel like there is too huge a disconnect between my thoughts and how I feel about things compared to what people can actually understand or share in those thoughts.

Stansmith

I relish the moments that I get to do this. I'm not necessarily seeing 'worlds', but I feel myself immersed in it. I probably feel my best in those instances.

WALMART

I had an ex that just about forbade me from listening to anything I liked around her, which is deep, grungey, dirty stuff. She just didn't get it.

I remember one time her saying she could tell I listened for the music, the little nuances in tone and agression and method, but all she really liked was good lyrics. Listened to a lot of old and texas country.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Yep, it's deeply personal and important for me too. There are people out there who get it. Usually in small bits, but I know there are people who feel what you feel when you hear certain sounds and words. Find em and share. I'm sure they're feeling how you are.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I do this constantly when it comes to music. I typically choose music that fits my inner world/mood/idea that I am exploring. There's a unified theme to it, with associated symbolism, be it lyrically or from the musical content. I tend to get characteristics from the music as well as imagery. Some people don't get it, but those with synaesthesia tend to grasp it. I love immersing in that musical experience, especially when I connect to a deep level with the pieces.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I like music that covers the entire emotional spectrum. Sometimes, if I'm not feeling good, putting something "positive" on isn't going to help (and sometimes it will). Sometimes, it just doesn't affect me at all.

I also feel like it helps me time travel. Different time periods have different moods, and music is a snapshot of that. I'd rather have an authentic picture of a time-period, like say, post-911, rather than something wallpapered over. It seems to me that music is indelibly tied to time it is made in. I'm not sure that music is ever really entirely timeless.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

ndovjtjcaqidthi

When you share that inner feel world with someone, that's real life son.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Wait. Wait. There are people who don't listen to music this way?

I relish it and get the discomfort. I know that if I worked to actualize that world in my mind in some way, shape or form, the satisfaction would be more solid than anything a dream can give. But they're tasty and warm...
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I had an ex that just about forbade me from listening to anything I liked around her, which is deep, grungey, dirty stuff. She just didn't get it.

I remember one time her saying she could tell I listened for the music, the little nuances in tone and agression and method, but all she really liked was good lyrics. Listened to a lot of old and texas country.
    That's frustrating. Lyrics convey something different, some form of communication that ideally would enhance music and not become the center-piece. I guess a lot of people don't feel the same way. Your ex sounded awful for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    I do this constantly when it comes to music. I typically choose music that fits my inner world/mood/idea that I am exploring. There's a unified theme to it, with associated symbolism, be it lyrically or from the musical content. I tend to get characteristics from the music as well as imagery. Some people don't get it, but those with synaesthesia tend to grasp it. I love immersing in that musical experience, especially when I connect to a deep level with the pieces.
    Synaesthesia makes sense. I kind of wonder if those that don't feel much aren't able to see much to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Wait. Wait. There are people who don't listen to music this way?
    Oh yes. Listen to pop and all the other mainstream genres and you might realize it seems music is generally a form of communication or a motivation for socializing rather than an emotional art form. But it's a drag when people don't have much of a deep connection to the music; I've tried to get people interested in deeper themes, but it doesn't seem to work. It's even more unnerving when they wonder why anyone would want to do that or even why they would/should, as if people that do are very strange.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    That's frustrating. Lyrics convey something different, some form of communication that ideally would enhance music and not become the center-piece. I guess a lot of people don't feel the same way. Your ex sounded awful for you.
    Shutting out my music would be the rejection of something core. I'd need to further information to see a person who did as incompatible with me.

Oh yes. Listen to pop and all the other mainstream genres and you might realize it seems music is generally a form of communication or a motivation for socializing rather than an emotional art form. But it's a drag when people don't have much of a deep connection to the music; I've tried to get people interested in deeper themes, but it doesn't seem to work. It's even more unnerving when they wonder why anyone would want to do that or even why they would/should, as if people that do are very strange.
    Was being a little tongue in cheek, but the choice not to take that emotional expedition with music is just that alien. Isn't that what music was made for in the first place? Or so it looks from here. Because my experiences and choices of it are so personal, I'm uncomfortable talking to people about what I listen to any more than I talk about my art or romantic feelings or other exposing and private things. That is almost never, and as a result I truly am innocent to how most people hear music. I'll love mine my way over here, and you guys do your thing over there.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]