• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shying away from private messaging...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do any of you ever feel shy when setting out to contact someone via the PM feature? I don't know if it's just me, but I tend to steer away from that kind of talking and I use it as little as possible, although not only because the amounts of PMs I can send are limited.

Also, in PMing, I am normally the PM recipient rather than the sender.

Does anyone else share this sort of feeling?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm probably more extroverted in PM than I am in public forum.

Does it feel more intimate to you... thus more revealing, personal, and scary?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not shy of PMing. I enjoy reaching out and having a discussion with friends of mine on here. I am delighted when I receive PMs from people I don't talk to often.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I usually don't send pms, but I have when I need to clarify a misunderstanding. I do reply back to pms. So I don't usually initiate.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I'm more shy of posting in public (due to worrying about the consequences of whatever it is I'm saying) than PM, where I feel more laissez-faire about my content and style.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm probably more extroverted in PM than I am in public forum.

Does it feel more intimate to you... thus more revealing, personal, and scary?

Well, it's not like I'm a stranger to TMI moments, but it's just that most of my PMs have been about business (of sorts).

How I got this thread concept was by noticing how so many members from different MBTI forums do a lot of private messaging (by looking at their user pages), so I started to think that maybe PMing wasn't for business or reporting technical problems, but for more personal conversations. Somehow, that's what I thought most of them were about.

I'm not very good at initiating conversations like that, but apparently, more people are than I thought.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm the same as the OP. It doesn't make sense to me, it feels good receiving them, and I'm quite confident once they're in motion, but I'm unlikely to send one for fear of being obtrusive.

I feel similarly towards rep (is that right?) and commenting on peoples' pictures. I'm guessing it's an English prudishness mixed with introversion taking me into the irrational.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...I'm not very good at initiating conversations like that, but apparently, more people are than I thought.

Oh. Wow.

well... yeah.

I have 5000 PMs in my inbox (either coming in or going out) from the last year, and some are extremely long, and the majority are NOT about business.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm the same as the OP. ..I'm quite confident once they're in motion, but I'm unlikely to send one for fear of being obtrusive.
+1

I don't PM often, probably because generally (always?) I haven't initiated it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is interesting.

I'm starting to wonder things now, not about others' private conversations but of how I come across to others who PM me.

I've gotten several PMs from members who seem to want to chat, but I just never know how to respond, so I just read the messages but that's as far as it goes. I just don't know how to respond. So now I'm wondering if maybe this contributes to others getting the impression that I'm pushing them away.

I've also got messages from people at social networking sites (namely AnxietyTribe) where people told me I could feel free to chat, and while it's not PMing, I think, psychologically, it's the same principle. I read the messages, but I didn't know how to respond. As a result, I got removed from their contact lists and such.

I find it easier to talk about myself and draw the crowd towards me -- I don't know how to do it the other way around.

I am just startled over how many people here use the feature for intimate conversations.

(Oh, and I wasn't sure where this thread should go, so move it where necessary.)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've gotten several PMs from members who seem to want to chat, but I just never know how to respond, so I just read the messages but that's as far as it goes. I just don't know how to respond. So now I'm wondering if maybe this contributes to others getting the impression that I'm pushing them away.
Answer: yes.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
+1

I don't PM often, probably because generally (always?) I haven't initiated it.

Same. I will respond to incoming PM's just fine, but I would almost never send one unsolicited on my own.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, I too do not like to intrude, and avoid initiating a PM unless it's a close friend or business.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
It's like there's an "ok" list. Once someone is on my ok to PM list, it's ok to PM. Until they are, it feels a little like intruding to initiate.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
It hardly ever occurs to me to PM someone.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting because I once got a PM from a member who seemed inviting in this context, but in the public forum, this person continued to have a bitter hostility against me and it was kind of confusing.

Part of my lack of responding to this particular message had to do with the contradictory nature between public and private, part had to do with my loss of words, and part of it had to do with my suspicion aroused by the facts.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I don't go on instant messengers very often anymore. I only chatted with a few people anyway, but they faded from the internet long ago. I don't mind PMs though, but I rarely, if ever, send them myself. :p

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I'll go for a long walk by the sea on my own about once a week. I usually sit down on the pebbles and watch the sea for forty minutes or so before getting up and walking back. Sometimes I have the sort of romantic fantasy where a nice girl would just come up to me uninhibited and say hi. And just either sit with me, or have a weird but not awkward conversation.

Sometimes when I go out for a walk, I see a girl on her own. I assume she's probably similar to me (they're quite rare). But I could never go up and say hi, or just sit with them.