• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shying away from private messaging...

MBTI Type
INxJ
I don't PM often. Not from being shy, just not having much to say privately.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have finally confirmed my pattern of "the more I PM, the surlier I get".

Introvert much?

I don't think so. I enjoy talking to my friends at work as much as I can. I wonder what it is about PMs.

Not surprising. You make short posts on the forum too. Perhaps this form of communicating is not as fullfilling for you as other forms?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't really shy away from it... at all. If anything, I often (though not always) shy away from public posting on more personal or controversial topics.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not shy of PMing. I enjoy reaching out and having a discussion with friends of mine on here. I am delighted when I receive PMs from people I don't talk to often.

:hi:

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't PM often. I'm not shy, but between the forum interactions, rep comments, and visitor profile messages I haven't found anything left to say.

I'm still a little behind on my online communication.
*scurries of to answer aelan's post from a week ago in my blag*

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't PM often. I'm not shy, but between the forum interactions, rep comments, and visitor profile messages I haven't found anything left to say.

Cereal! It's a lot of work keeping up! lol

I'm still a little behind on my online communication.
*scurries of to answer aelan's post from a week ago in my blag*

You have a blog? :huh:

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
My goodness. I can't imagine doing it on TWO forums.

/SJ

Oh, I'm not that social.

My per day count is higher on there than here, but your posts per day is higher than both of my accounts combined.

Last edited:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a few people I have PM's going on with and one person I talk to so regularly that we use msn instead. I usually get PM'd myself, but sometimes I will send a PM as well. It is usually a follow up of a conversation on the forum or on the visitor's msgs that gets moved to PM for whatever reason, be it coz it was too derailing for the thread or just (and this is mostly the case) coz it became too personal. I've noticed that people tend to be opener about their replies in PM, hence I use it to get to know them better. They also tend to become quite heavy conversations with some serious theories or deep pondering exchanged.

CC does have a point though that it does take time. I enjoy it very much but currently I still have 4 pms I still have to answer to. Reasons I haven't is coz at least 3 of them are quite heavy in content and I need to think about it, as well as finding the time to write my thoughts down, which can take a while to formulate. I always reply, so don't worry if I don't immediately :)

Overall I do enjoy PM's. They tend to be warmer and more insightful than the forum, though the forum is also fun to play around on :)

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Hrm, depends. If I have something to say to people or want to ask them how they are etc I start a PM conversation. I mean why not. Some people make it easy to start with a topic. It can be an Avatar, a liking or anything. It's cool.

Tho, there are still some people I would LOVE to talk to, but I haven't found a topic to "discuss about" yet. That's when I am more "shy". ^^°

Generally I am pretty interested in anything so PMing is cool for me. I mean I don't need to open up 280394375667 Threads for some chatting. o_O

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm usually very uncomfortable with PM. I seldom initiate PM-conversations, and when I do, it's after a lot of thought. It's the same with telephone conversations, IMing and emails. I don't do it until there's been established context, and I'm confident enough that people won't take me the wrong way (because I tend to become overly intense). However, when people whom I don't know PM me, I definitely respond. Albeit in a guarded and entirely superficial way.

I'm the same way when posting, generally I begin replies for twice the number of posts that I make. Most of them get discarded.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I find that I avoid PMs cos I get soooo caught up in them... and I can never leave one unanswered, however, I do love to receive PMs and I do enjoy the freedom of answering people in a more personal manner and also I feel freer to ask more personal question (SO beware LOL) PMs are also good when you want to give longer replies.. I do tend to go on and on with them...

Mole

Permabanned
I think the most exciting things are the public forums.

They are completely dominated by one culture and it values. And they are invincibly ignorant of other cultures - so it is like living in a foreign country.

I used to train officers and their wives how to live successfully in a foreign culture, never thinking I would be living in one myself.

I've gone through all the ups and downs of expatriate officers. And it has sharpened my appreciation of my own culture.

But what is most fascinating is that I can enter and leave the foreign culture at will and come home whenever I want. My officers could never do that.

It seems the global village consists of tribes - but tribes that don't much like each other. And why should they, they have different histories, different values, different child rearing practices - not even the unconscious is the same.

And so naturally we pretend we are the same. We sympathise, which means we feel the same as. But never empathise which means understanding the difference.

We say we have different personalities but really we are the same underneath - so we can all get along.

It is like a giant orgy of denial.

So what are we denying? What's so awful that we can't face it?

But don't ask, don't ask - for our pretense is all we have.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I like that analogy you make Victor.. being here is like being in a foreign country and it takes ages to learn all the different subtley of the culture... being a bit of a non-conformist slap dash ENFP I have yet to learn everything about etiquette here... I'm learning slowly... I know what you mean though there is a certain way things are done etc. and it doesn make it exciting esp when u get a 'foreigner' or live wire every once in a while prepared to challenge the system... They can be funny!

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
My goodness. I can't imagine doing it on TWO forums.

/SJ

Yes he does, he's fun to stalk across both. He's more a lurker than a poster though. Sometimes I leave him messages here and there just to keep some pressure on him to respond, and INTPs just hate being obligated/feeling like they have not responded adequately. :D

*runs off to post on his blag again*

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I prefer conversations in PM actually.
ya same. it allows me to write nice long tutorials for people

and i didn't know Uber was an ENTP

i thought he was an INTJ (or at least thats what he stated, always seemed like an INTP to me)