User Tag List

First 123412 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I'm the same as the OP. ..I'm quite confident once they're in motion, but I'm unlikely to send one for fear of being obtrusive.
    +1

I don't PM often, probably because generally (always?) I haven't initiated it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

This is interesting.

I'm starting to wonder things now, not about others' private conversations but of how I come across to others who PM me.

I've gotten several PMs from members who seem to want to chat, but I just never know how to respond, so I just read the messages but that's as far as it goes. I just don't know how to respond. So now I'm wondering if maybe this contributes to others getting the impression that I'm pushing them away.

I've also got messages from people at social networking sites (namely AnxietyTribe) where people told me I could feel free to chat, and while it's not PMing, I think, psychologically, it's the same principle. I read the messages, but I didn't know how to respond. As a result, I got removed from their contact lists and such.

I find it easier to talk about myself and draw the crowd towards me -- I don't know how to do it the other way around.

I am just startled over how many people here use the feature for intimate conversations.

(Oh, and I wasn't sure where this thread should go, so move it where necessary.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I've gotten several PMs from members who seem to want to chat, but I just never know how to respond, so I just read the messages but that's as far as it goes. I just don't know how to respond. So now I'm wondering if maybe this contributes to others getting the impression that I'm pushing them away.
    Answer: yes.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    +1

I don't PM often, probably because generally (always?) I haven't initiated it.
    Same. I will respond to incoming PM's just fine, but I would almost never send one unsolicited on my own.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, I too do not like to intrude, and avoid initiating a PM unless it's a close friend or business.

MBTI
    INXP

It's like there's an "ok" list. Once someone is on my ok to PM list, it's ok to PM. Until they are, it feels a little like intruding to initiate.

MBTI
    nnnn

It hardly ever occurs to me to PM someone.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It's interesting because I once got a PM from a member who seemed inviting in this context, but in the public forum, this person continued to have a bitter hostility against me and it was kind of confusing.

Part of my lack of responding to this particular message had to do with the contradictory nature between public and private, part had to do with my loss of words, and part of it had to do with my suspicion aroused by the facts.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah, I don't go on instant messengers very often anymore. I only chatted with a few people anyway, but they faded from the internet long ago. I don't mind PMs though, but I rarely, if ever, send them myself. :P

MBTI
    INXP

I'll go for a long walk by the sea on my own about once a week. I usually sit down on the pebbles and watch the sea for forty minutes or so before getting up and walking back. Sometimes I have the sort of romantic fantasy where a nice girl would just come up to me uninhibited and say hi. And just either sit with me, or have a weird but not awkward conversation.

Sometimes when I go out for a walk, I see a girl on her own. I assume she's probably similar to me (they're quite rare). But I could never go up and say hi, or just sit with them.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.