• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Now adolescence lasts until the person is 25

Citylights

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...young-people-getting-inferiority-complex.html

It is hoped the initiative will stop children being 'rushed' through their childhood and feeling pressured to achieve key milestones quickly, reports the BBC.

I think there's plenty to discuss about it, so I decided to post. There are positive and negative points about it. Will it be really favorable concerning the personal development of young adults, or will it cause some infantilization after all (for example, being dependent at an age which you should have some degree of independence), as I already saw a sociologist in my country say? Excluding things such as personal life experiences, which impact this new convention might have in the future in general?

Last edited:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a real relief - me being 19 years old and being treated as an "adult" sucks so dang badly; way too much responcibility!

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As the economy stands it won't really matter. A lot of young adults are already stuck in infants losing positions.

gromit

likes this
A friend posted this on FB and there was some interesting discussion, with one person saying that, yes, life milestones occur much later now, so in a sense young adults are sort of kept in childhood/adolescence longer. However, in older times, young adults were married, sent to war, and whatnot without as much autonomy. Their older relatives sort of made these major decisions for them.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good, I have 3 more years before I have to pretend to be an adult.

Citylights

Yes, as a positive point I can see it as a way to minimize this tug-of-war that people between 18 and 25 (like me) live. We're considered adults, but there's just few adult roles irl that we can really take upon. And it creates field for a big fat pressure from elder relatives for you to be "mature like an adult" when your life and experience (and opportunities at the moment) aren't really congruent with it, in spite of a thirsty will to be free.

Citylights

Otoh, as a negative point I can see society contributing for us to be even more stuck in life at this age, since they can overlook our accomplishments and qualities treating it as childish and naive, preventing growth. But it severely depends of individual circumstances.

Last edited:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I said the exact same thing on personality cafe, but...
this article offends me. I'm 22 and consider myself an adult. when people forget that (I'm an ENFP, a 7w6 and already look 17-18-ish, so on one hand I can't really blame'em :tongue:), I make sure to remind them.

18-25 year olds are fully capable of making adult decisions. yes, they're still young and still learning, but I don't see why we can't just call them young adults.

also, that would mean that women go through the vast majority of their sexual prime before they are even considered "adults", which is ridiculous imo.

what's next, they raise the age of consent to 25? fuck that! If fucking people under age 25 makes me a fellon, you can send me to jail right now, cuz I'm a carnivore and I demand fresh meat! :ng_mad:

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why be offended? The brain is te brain if it takes longer to cook what can we argue against it? I'm 23 years old and I feel capable of making life decisions, I was capable of making certain decisions at 16 as well even though I know there was a lot that had yet to develop. Not fully developed is not the same as completely useless or totally irrational. The common knowledge was already that the brain developed until 21 so I can't see how it would affect the age of consent (so go ahead and prey on youths...I guess).

Just to wrap up I feel capable of making my own decisions but I can admit that I will probably make less strategic decisions than a fifty year old in my place might. Either way, development is a bunch of fixed points. It's a spectrum people move through at their own pace. I'm not threatened by the relabeling of a section on that spectrum.

Also, the vast majority of a woman's sexual prime is before 25? Pfffffffffftttttt.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I've been on my own since I was 17 when my mom died and I moved out. I rented a shack with no running water, no phone and no bathroom, but I survived and I think I did okay. I bought my own house when I was 19. Not bad for an anorexic little hillbilly who's brains weren't fully developed. I made my own decisions and for good or bad, I blame nobody else for anything in my life, except me. I and I alone am responsible for my attitudes, choices, thoughts and feelings.

Sometimes, I would look around me at my classmates with all of their newest gadgets and cars and things their parents bought them and think how soft and easy their lives must have been. But, it's all good. Where I came from has made me who I am and it's certainly taught me to think for myself and to be self-sufficient.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I've been on my own since I was 17 when my mom died and I moved out. I rented a shack with no running water, no phone and no bathroom, but I survived and I think I did okay. I bought my own house when I was 19. Not bad for an anorexic little hillbilly who's brains weren't fully developed. I made my own decisions and for good or bad, I blame nobody else for anything in my life, except me. I and I alone am responsible for my attitudes, choices, thoughts and feelings.

Sometimes, I would look around me at my classmates with all of their newest gadgets and cars and things their parents bought them and think how soft and easy their lives must have been. But, it's all good. Where I came from has made me who I am and it's certainly taught me to think for myself and to be self-sufficient.

Do you think it's fair of you to make assumptions about who bought those things or to conclude that because these people have gadgets their lives must have been "soft and easy"?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As the economy stands it won't really matter. A lot of young adults are already stuck in infants losing positions.

I think there's the socio-economic angle, of course. But there's also the fact that people live longer (on average) than they did even 50 years ago. We also know the brain continues to develop well into the mid-twenties, so there's reason, at least from a purely biological standpoint to say that people are not fully formed adults until 25.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
No, I don't think it was fair of me to think like that. But, when you're struggling to find a meal and keep a roof over your head, and you see other people your age, acting like children and dating and partying and driving nice cars and having cell phones, you tend to have to work your way through those kinds of thoughts. [I say you but I really mean we, as in human beings] When you're just surviving from day to day, you think funny things that way. What can I say? I'm reformed now.

My mom used to always say that you can't tell what another person is going through until you live their life and see through their eyes. She was right. Actually, she always said, "You don't know what it's like to be somebody else until you walk a day in their moccasins."

Now, I realize that nobody's life is perfect.

Everybody has it rough in their own way.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A friend posted this on FB and there was some interesting discussion, with one person saying that, yes, life milestones occur much later now, so in a sense young adults are sort of kept in childhood/adolescence longer. However, in older times, young adults were married, sent to war, and whatnot without as much autonomy. Their older relatives sort of made these major decisions for them.

I don't think the point of that article is that the timeline is or has changed. It's that there's a recognition that brain development continues through the mid 20s, that people develop at different paces and that we need to recognize that when they are being counseled on psychological issues.

17 is early to be on your own and that's impressive to get a house when you're 19! I always had a very strong drive to be independent. I could not wait to go to away to college and worked all year round to support my way through it. I covered about 50% of the cost and took out loans to cover about another 15%. My parents made up the difference. I can't think of any decisions my parents made for me at that stage in my life (or helped me to make for that matter). I was on my way towards moving out mentally probably from the beginning of high school. After graduating, I moved out on my own right away and didn't ask for or expect any kind of support. I went for quite a while without much in the way of furniture (a year) because I didn't have the money to buy any. One of my good friends at the time who didn't go to college was on his own at 18. It wasn't until I got older that I realized a lot of people really are not like this. They aren't ready or didn't want to be on their own that fast. Others are dying to leave when they're 18. I did some dumb things back then and know I wasn't fully mature even at 25 but did what I did and somehow things worked out.

My mom used to always say that you can't tell what another person is going through until you live their life and see through their eyes. She was right. Actually, she always said, "You don't know what it's like to be somebody else until you walk a day in their moccasins."

Now, I realize that nobody's life is perfect.

Everybody has it rough in their own way.

Very true

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think it's great that we're recognizing what IMO has always seemed obvious: that you're not really done cooking until your mid-twenties. I don't think it means laws or ages of consent/ability to do X/Y/Z will or should change, or even that people can't make any important decisions before they're done cooking. I got married at 22, had a baby at 23, and bought at house at 24, and I wouldn't change any of those decisions now (except I would have bought a different house- this one blows). But as [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] says it's good to recognize this so that people who need support can get the most appropriate kind for their level of development.

gromit

likes this
I don't think the point of that article is that the timeline is or has changed. It's that there's a recognition that brain development continues through the mid 20s, that people develop at different paces and that we need to recognize that when they are being counseled on psychological issues.

Yes, it was more in response to what someone else had said, about millenials feeling babied or something.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Whoo hoo!! That means I just became an adult last year! :D!!!

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Because "adult" people (past mid-twenties, I mean) always make great decisions? Never need or get help from others? Are generally wise? C'mon. Just take a look at the state of the economy we're in (for example), do you think 22 yos led us there?

Except early childhood when you can't be self sufficient, there is no real separation between the "phases of life".