User Tag List

123 Last

Default Now adolescence lasts until the person is 25

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...y-complex.html

It is hoped the initiative will stop children being 'rushed' through their childhood and feeling pressured to achieve key milestones quickly, reports the BBC.
    I think there's plenty to discuss about it, so I decided to post. There are positive and negative points about it. Will it be really favorable concerning the personal development of young adults, or will it cause some infantilization after all (for example, being dependent at an age which you should have some degree of independence), as I already saw a sociologist in my country say? Excluding things such as personal life experiences, which impact this new convention might have in the future in general?
    Last edited by Citylights; 10-02-2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Add info

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

This is a real relief - me being 19 years old and being treated as an "adult" sucks so dang badly; way too much responcibility!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

As the economy stands it won't really matter. A lot of young adults are already stuck in infants losing positions.

A friend posted this on FB and there was some interesting discussion, with one person saying that, yes, life milestones occur much later now, so in a sense young adults are sort of kept in childhood/adolescence longer. However, in older times, young adults were married, sent to war, and whatnot without as much autonomy. Their older relatives sort of made these major decisions for them.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Good, I have 3 more years before I have to pretend to be an adult.

Yes, as a positive point I can see it as a way to minimize this tug-of-war that people between 18 and 25 (like me) live. We're considered adults, but there's just few adult roles irl that we can really take upon. And it creates field for a big fat pressure from elder relatives for you to be "mature like an adult" when your life and experience (and opportunities at the moment) aren't really congruent with it, in spite of a thirsty will to be free.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Too bad. Childhood is severely overrated.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Otoh, as a negative point I can see society contributing for us to be even more stuck in life at this age, since they can overlook our accomplishments and qualities treating it as childish and naive, preventing growth. But it severely depends of individual circumstances.
    Last edited by Citylights; 10-02-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Wrong word used/ add info

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I said the exact same thing on personality cafe, but...
    this article offends me. I'm 22 and consider myself an adult. when people forget that (I'm an ENFP, a 7w6 and already look 17-18-ish, so on one hand I can't really blame'em ), I make sure to remind them.

18-25 year olds are fully capable of making adult decisions. yes, they're still young and still learning, but I don't see why we can't just call them young adults.

also, that would mean that women go through the vast majority of their sexual prime before they are even considered "adults", which is ridiculous imo.

what's next, they raise the age of consent to 25? fuck that! If fucking people under age 25 makes me a fellon, you can send me to jail right now, cuz I'm a carnivore and I demand fresh meat!
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Why be offended? The brain is te brain if it takes longer to cook what can we argue against it? I'm 23 years old and I feel capable of making life decisions, I was capable of making certain decisions at 16 as well even though I know there was a lot that had yet to develop. Not fully developed is not the same as completely useless or totally irrational. The common knowledge was already that the brain developed until 21 so I can't see how it would affect the age of consent (so go ahead and prey on youths...I guess).

Just to wrap up I feel capable of making my own decisions but I can admit that I will probably make less strategic decisions than a fifty year old in my place might. Either way, development is a bunch of fixed points. It's a spectrum people move through at their own pace. I'm not threatened by the relabeling of a section on that spectrum.

Also, the vast majority of a woman's sexual prime is before 25? Pfffffffffftttttt.