User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Riva

Huh finally i'll get to have sex this december legally. Jokes aside; I couldn't read the whole article and i'm assuming they aren't going to change the age consent?

Wow @Ene; that is hard and i'm sorry to hear that you had to face that all alone. It would have been great if you had any siblings/family.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Citylights View Post
    We're considered adults, but there's just few adult roles irl that we can really take upon. And it creates field for a big fat pressure from elder relatives for you to be "mature like an adult" when your life and experience (and opportunities at the moment) aren't really congruent with it, in spite of a thirsty will to be free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Why be offended? The brain is te brain if it takes longer to cook what can we argue against it?

I like the shift being recognized, especially in terms of healthcare provision and psychological support.

It seems to me that there is far more evidence that it will be empowering rather than disempowering. We feel this need to move quickly... part of it is biological, of course, but the other part is cultural. In the US, I feel like there is a strong cultural push for kids to quickly succeed, succeed, succeed, but there is no reason to expect that adolescents will be infantile adults if not pressed to move quickly; development is an internally-coded process and is unavoidable for the vast majority of people. Almost all mammalian species are programmed to move from dependent adolescence into independent adulthood, and there's no reason to think humans differ.

Most importantly, I also don't think that expanding the period of adolescence is exclusive with people taking on agency and individualism when they reach that age. Hopefully, instead, cultivating independence is a process that starts in childhood with parents delegating some household responsibilities to children according to what they can reasonably handle at their age, with increasing and expanding responsibility as they grow older. And even more pampered children will tend to push for their own agency come the standard rebellion of the mid-teenage years.

Notably, too, in some cultures and with certain professions, there is more of an expectation that the shift-to-adulthood process will take longer anyway - consider my Indian friend who was expected to live with her family until marriage, or my father who was a student until he was 30 because he was in medical school.

I do think we're in an especially tough period for adolescents now because the golden bubble of 90s childhood was particularly coddling, the current economy is particularly unhelpful, and the shift to "real life" is resultingly startling.

On the bright side, biology essentially ensures we will come into our own - we're irrevocably set on autopilot for it. Much development is believed to have "critical periods" or "sensitive periods" during which the individual is particularly open to certain types of environmental stimuli, but it is unlikely to happen outside of those periods because the body is not ready and receptive. People might as well support young adults in making that transition as it comes to them developmentally, rather than trying to force it before it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Because "adult" people (past mid-twenties, I mean) always make great decisions? Never need or get help from others? Are generally wise? C'mon. Just take a look at the state of the economy we're in (for example), do you think 22 yos led us there?
    Exactly. Look at the US Congress now, like 5 year olds who are fighting over a sandbox.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Great. That gives up you a window of about 2 years to get all your thinking done before your brain starts to rot. http://io9.com/5176536/your-brain-st...euroscientists

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Huh finally i'll get to have sex this december legally. Jokes aside; I couldn't read the whole article and i'm assuming they aren't going to change the age consent?

Wow @Ene; that is hard and i'm sorry to hear that you had to face that all alone. It would have been great if you had any siblings/family.
    Thanks, Riva. I did have siblings. I forgot to mention that. I had five of them, all under the age of 16 and I had a father, but he was in depression at the time. But it's okay. I only shared to say that people can grow up before 25.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Great. That gives up you a window of about 2 years to get all your thinking done before your brain starts to rot. http://io9.com/5176536/your-brain-st...euroscientists
    I'm inclined to think that this might just be because people tend to stop doing those kinds of tasks once they leave school. I mean, what about outliers? I think it might not be terribly important to a lot of people anyway, so they don't continue to do it.

However, Salthouse points out that there is a great deal of variance from person to person, and, he added, most people function at a highly effective level well into their final years, even when living a long life.
    I don't feel like I've gotten dumber. I feel like I enjoy reading more than I did in college, and like I understand things better.

Regarding the general topic of immaturity among twenty-somethings, baby boomers/generation X deserve some criticism for this. You try and isolate children from the world and "protect" them from basic facts of life, and what the fuck do you expect is going to happen? Maybe it would be ok if they decided to stop doing that once they hit puberty, but it kind of just continues.

If a generation is screwed up, at least some responsibility belongs with the people who raised them. I mean, growing up, something that was drilled into my head over and over was that "I am me, I am someone special." Why are people shocked that this created narcissistic dipshits?

Anyway, I found it to be a tremendous relief in my mid-twenties when I learned that I was not that special, and I could relax.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    also, that would mean that women go through the vast majority of their sexual prime before they are even considered "adults", which is ridiculous imo.
    I think the opinion of a 22-year old gay man on what constitutes the "vast majority" of a woman's sexual prime can safely be ignored.

But since I'm bad at ignoring nonsense.....yeah, you're not just wrong, you're so wrong that it's both slightly amusing and slightly offensive. Even 25 year olds aren't in their prime yet, male or female. You have so much to learn once you grow out of hitting on teenyboppers.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think the opinion of a 22-year old gay man on what constitutes the "vast majority" of a woman's sexual prime can safely be ignored.

But since I'm bad at ignoring nonsense.....yeah, you're not just wrong, you're so wrong that it's both slightly amusing and slightly offensive. Even 25 year olds aren't in their prime yet, male or female. You have so much to learn once you grow out of hitting on teenyboppers.
    What if that 22 year old gay man was prodigy doctor Doogie Howser MD?! He's have been practicing medicin for 8 years! Genius medicine!!

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

Good! I always had my looks as an excuse (people often mistake me for a sixteen year old lately, while when I was younger I actually looked older), but now that I read this article I have another good reason to behave like a kid. Woohoo!
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

Infinite Bubble

I'm sort of glad. Even if it's just a perception change really.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

The male human brain develops until 25, and his stature can potentially grow until around the same age. And it has always been like that. The qualification of "very young man" is more appropriate for 15-24 people than "adolescent". The first sign of ageing can be seen on 16-18 people. There's 17 years old dudes who shows the first signs of alopecia, 18 years old women with some white hair. It's very rare, but it happens. IAnd it's far more fresquent with 24 years old people. Calling them "adolescent" is stupid. This article is stupid. We still have emotional and hormonal change at 18-25? Yeah, so? It still the case in the 30s, we don't call them "adolescent".
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan