User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default The Bystander Effect: why people in groups suck

I recently was nearly robbed and broke my kneecap in the process. Somewhere around 30 people could clearly see the entire thing go down, and yet only one person came by to ask if I was ok. WTF is with people?!?

There have been a lot of studies on group dynamics of crowds in response to traumatic events occurring, and many examples as well, the most famous being that of Kitty Genovese who was stabbed to death within easy seeing and hearing range of 38 of her neighbors in NYC in 1964. The usual theory on this is that diffusion of responsibility leads people to inaction- the thought that "someone else could do something- they see it happening too."

Some people, though, decide to act in such situations and actually DO something to help, though these people are said to be few and far between.

Any other ideas on why people are so careless or ballless in such situations, or does the fact that it could easily be somebody else's problem just about cover it? This question has been bothering me a bit recently
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

This is the very reason you want to support CCLs. See, people that are up for carrying firearms are sheepdogs, and that means they're going to help.

That person that bothered you could have been on the ground crying for mommy if I was there and legally allowed to carry a gun. I have no qualms with scaring the feces out of some punk that wants to mess with someone, but I am not intimidating on my own. If they produce a weapon, I'd be happy to take them out of the gene pool, no questions asked.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I know there have been times when I was paralyzed with fear, and other times I have fed off my fear and acted quickly to help someone. I don't honestly know why I'm not consistent in that area, or what I would've done if I witnessed what happened to you. I'd like to think I would've helped but then recently I saw a kid on a bike get hit by a car and I just sat there staring at him, like I was watching a movie and it wasn't real. Thankfully he was okay, but I felt kinda mad at myself for not reacting quickly in that situation. I guess I have been too comfortable lately, and my crisis monitors are shot or something.

I wouldn't even begin to guess what other people are thinking in those situations, I can't even explain myself, much less other people.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I was actually chasing the mother****er down after he broke into my apartment- he should be glad that I wasn't armed, as my first impulse would have been to shoot him in the back as he ran away Being a klutz, I tripped, fell and broke my patella and couldn't walk... only one person came by at all.

It annoyed me because I've always been the type to step into disputes to calm things down, to return lost kids to thier parents and to help victims of stuff :steam: So much for one good turn deserving another!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It annoyed me because I've always been the type to step into disputes to calm things down, to return lost kids to thier parents and to help victims of stuff :steam: So much for one good turn deserving another!
    My hypothesis is that this sort of thing is typical for ENTP's. I think our minds are naturally looking toward the big picture while being fairly disconnected with ourselves. We imagine how each person should act to make society run smoothly and then that is how we act without really considering how this affects us purely as individuals. Other people first consider their personal safety or other priorities they might have that affect them personally. Although I wouldn't be surprised if ESTP's would act like this as well. They tend to lack self awareness similarly to ENTP's.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFP

I saw an old lady fall and I was going to help her but it took too long for my mind to process the whole thing. I mean I saw her but then I was like, "Maybe she will get up on her own? (She did)" and I'm all like "Was that really an old lady?" Basically, I thought too much and by the time I was over there, she was up already.

MBTI
    INTP

I would have definitely tried to see if you were okay.

I think part of the thing with the Genovese story, is that people don't want to endanger themselves in an effort to help others. They'll call the police, or maybe if they had a gun, they'd feel brave enough to do something. But they don't want to be a target themselves.

I pass plenty of people broken down on the highway. I usually call the local or state police, but I will not stop to help, myself. I'm a 5'3" blonde chick, and I have heard too many stories of people using a fake breakdown as bait to get people to stop. I'm not putting myself in danger. Similarly, I'm not picking up hitchhikers.

It's sad that we live in a society where we have to be so wary of each other, but it's kind of unwise not to be.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ...There have been a lot of studies on group dynamics of crowds in response to traumatic events occurring, and many examples as well, the most famous being that of Kitty Genovese who was stabbed to death within easy seeing and hearing range of 38 of her neighbors in NYC in 1964. The usual theory on this is that diffusion of responsibility leads people to inaction- the thought that "someone else could do something- they see it happening too."
    Actually I think this reason is a pretty good one, and it's what various studies have shown. (Another interesting study was where they put a student taking a test in a room, then blew smoke through the ventilation. If there were other students in the room who ignored the whole thing or downplayed it, the test subject did the same even if the air got very hazy. If the subject was the only one in the room, they usually immediately went to get the instructor.)

The point is that people tend to take their cues from others if others are present.

Now, some people will break the system and intervene anyway. There are zillions of reasons why someone might or might not do so. They might be kind by nature. They might have been the eldest kid in a single-parent family. Contrastingly, they might want to help but have had a lousy day and feel like crap and so they wait to involve themselves. Perhaps the situation doesn't seem dangerous to them although it does to others; or perhaps it's the reverse.

It's enough even to raise the stakes in the scenario; people who might not help if someone drops her groceries might be more apt to help if they saw a car catch on fire on the highway (because someone could die, so it's more important they help). Or perhaps the higher threat of the latter case will make them less likely to act and they're more apt to help in the less-threatening scenario.

Anyway, I don't think it's carelessness or ballslessness, although when you've been victimized, it's easy to feel that way... especially if you are the sort who WOULD help someone else. (And... I'm sorry about what happened. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Explanations I pulled from my bum:

1) Isolation from fellow man.
    People tend act out of empathy. Letting someone suffer causes harm to the observer.
    In the old days when all peoples lived in villages (what a great way to start*), people were genuinely invested in each other personally. Currently, chances are slim that you know everyone in your "village," and watching another is not as painful.

2) Culture: sometimes kindness needs to be taught.

3) conservation of energy. If it's not major and you think someone else will take care of it (dilution of responsibility as you said), and you don't particularly care about that person, why not conserve energy and do nothing.

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    My hypothesis is that this sort of thing is typical for ENTP's. I think our minds are naturally looking toward the big picture while being fairly disconnected with ourselves. We imagine how each person should act to make society run smoothly and then that is how we act without really considering how this affects us purely as individuals. Other people first consider their personal safety or other priorities they might have that affect them personally. Although I wouldn't be surprised if ESTP's would act like this as well. They tend to lack self awareness similarly to ENTP's.
    I can't speak for my entire type, but I can tell you that I wouldn't hesitate to intervene. I have a powerful protective urge - especially as it pertains to apparent victimization.

The only fights I've gotten into during my adult years were defensive in nature.

Krav Maga is handy.