• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can kindness be taught?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I made a thread a while ago asking if empathy can be learned, and I think it can be learned. Now I am asking, can kindness be taught? (to an adult) I don't think it can be taught. I think that is something that is innate. What do you think?

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I made a thread a while ago asking if empathy can be learned, and I think it can be learned. Now I am asking, can kindness be taught? (to an adult) I don't think it can be taught. I think that is something that is innate. What do you think?
I agree for the most part, Giggly. I have read research that suggests that selfishness is actually a biologically determined trait to a certain extent. That is, selfish people experience high levels of inhibitory activity in a certain area of the brain that selfless people do not experience. However, I think it depends on how you define "kindness." There are probably certain types of kindness that can be learned through experience.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
At least in the face of predjudice. I feel strongly that interaction amoungst people of different groups is the really cure to all kinds of discrimination. Exposure leads to seeing people as human and identifying with them

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some people have an instinct for it, and some people don't. But for the most part, kindness is a series of rules and guidelines that you can adapt based on the situation. Anybody can do that, because the rules of kindness generally aren't unreasonable.

Saying that kindness can't be learned is essentially like saying that cruel people can't be redeemed. And there's been too much evidence to the contrary, throughout history and throughout my own personal experience, for me to believe that.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's more something you have to get a feel for than it is something robotic, in which case it's fake and doesn't even have meaningful substance.

If you want to express "kindness", make sure it's actually existent within yourself.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's more something you have to get a feel for than it is something robotic, in which case it's fake and doesn't even have meaningful substance.

If you want to express "kindness", make sure it's actually existent within yourself.

Right.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I disagree. Kind actions can definitely be taught. Kind feelings perhaps less so, but while feelings without action don't accomplish much, actions without feeling can indeed have the desired effect.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ughh... i just can't believe that...at all.

i think if the answer is no...i might just prefer not to know that.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I believe that kindness is a choice that people have to make moment to moment everyday. It involves looking outside of our own selves and choosing to meet someone's needs because it is the right thing to do, not always even because someone deserves it, or because we feel like it.

While I believe that thinking of others may come more naturally to some people than others, any person can consciously make a choice to act with kindness in any given situation. I also think that as we become accustomed to doing so, it affects our own outlook on the people around us. The more you invest in other people, the more you grow to care about them or look for the good in them.

For those who are very resistant to showing kindness, I've concluded that it usually comes down to a lack of trust in others. While lack of trust is something instilled usually by a person's past experiences, it doesn't serve them well, as it is impossible to become authentically close to anyone, if you cannot trust and cannot be vulnerable with them. Showing kindness requires at least momentary vulnerability. If you are unable to trust other people, you will do anything to avoid feeling that vulnerable, and in fact, may bond to other people in a less vulnerable way, by mocking someone else, bullying them, or making them feel powerless and uncomfortable.

So while I wouldn't say that a person lacking kindness is predestined to forever be an unkind person, I would say it would take considerable work and effort on the person's part to recognize what interfered with their ability to trust and do the work to rebuild their relationships from the ground up. That is difficult work, as it takes facing a lot of uncomfortable and scary emotions, so most people will find ways to avoid those feelings through alcohol, drugs, work, creating a false image of themselves as protection, through escaping to obsessive gaming, non-confrontational behaviour, becoming controlling, becoming passive-aggressive etc etc. These strategies allow the person to avoid feeling badly enough that action is required, yet those feelings are always present, creating a kind of aggression or anxiety that comes through in less than flattering ways.

If a person is willing to wade through all that though, I believe they can become kind, even if they haven't been earlier in their adult life.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good points, [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]
At the very least, a person has to want to be kind in order to be taught kindness.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Definitely. It takes more effort to be kind than not to be kind. In addition, your feelings need to be integrated enough to feel more than one emotion at a time and to be able to see things from more than your own perspective. While that is a natural, organic process given the right "growing conditions", age does not automatically bring about emotional maturity.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Haven't read any responses yet, but I think that nearly anything can be taught to anyone willing to learn.

Even if they aren't entirely convinced they're cut out for it, if there is a desire to learn for any reason (selfish or otherwise), strides and improvements will probably be made. Many adults believe themselves to be naturally bad at math, and there's a self-fulfilling prophecy in that where they avoid it outside of necessity and thus miss much of the necessary repetition and interaction math requires for one to be successful at it. I think people who are unkind to people in their lives and around them just tend to hear it a lot, tell themselves it, and then the cycle continues until something makes them want to fix that.

No, I don't think that a person that's been an asshole their whole lives is going to become a saint or anything. I have, though, met many men that I personally knew to be in ruins (in regard to kindness towards others, and themselves) until they met the woman they were married to--and you could literally see a change in them. Yeah, they were still really assholeish in comparison to someone I would date, but you could see a switch flip in them--they wanted to keep that lady of theirs around, and they really cleaned up their acts and tried hard to put the girl before them as a result. And that's in public--so I'm sure they're much kinder and nicer to the girl in private too.

It absolutely can be taught. But, like anything, the learner needs to be willing.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
To some yes, but i dont think its easy for an adult, maybe not even possible unless they are really motivated.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If a person is willing to wade through all that though, I believe they can become kind, even if they haven't been earlier in their adult life.
How does one do this? Where does one even start?

Mole

Permabanned

Those to whom evil is done, do evil in return.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it can be taught by the lessons of life. Some people may never learn, but I believe in eye-opening experiences that might reveal the value of kindness to someone who never "got it" before.

I imagine someone receiving kindness from someone who shouldn't care about them when they least deserve it and desperately need it.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
How does one do this? Where does one even start?

I believe it starts with recognizing where the lack of trust stemmed from in the first place. Often people avoid thinking about things that cause them pain (ignoring or minimizing the impact or the opposite extreme - becoming bitter or phobic about it because it becomes built up in their head bigger and bigger).

Often when those things that have undermined trust happened, the person was vulnerable and felt very powerless. Therefore, by recognizing the full impact of what happened, and bit by bit allowing oneself to look at it, it can get shrunk down to a manageable size and better responses can be chosen. (Long after a person is dead and gone, their words/actions are still impacting the people they affected negatively. Recognizing the factors that made someone act as they did doesn't excuse their actions, but it does make them more human and take away a lot of their godlike power in one's head. The key is for the person to realize that they have more power than they actually believe they do and therefore are capable of dealing with what happened in a proactive way). It is not that the unkind person is always a bad person, but rather that they have unconsciously chosen to protect themselves from ever feeling that vulnerable and powerless again.

When we follow a course of action or thinking that isn't working for us and we get stuck in it, it creates extreme frustration, which boils over into aggression. When we are able to get "unstuck", then we are free to try new courses of action or thinking that will yield better results.

To do that, the person must actually look at what isn't working for them, which means going back to the original problem. It requires coming to a place of futility where the person recognizes that what happened was wrong but that they can do nothing to change the past. What they do have control over is how they let that event or that person continue to impact their present or future and also whether their experience can cripple them, or positively impact others by how they respond to it.

By grieving over it, and then getting to a point where they start following a new course of action that will work better for them, they can develop resilience, and they can become proactive in their own situation. You can't change the set of circumstances you were given, but you can change your reaction to them.

For a lot of people, it helps them to have someone to talk to about it. For most, they need to develop trust again with someone (preferably in a non-romantic context, as that introduces a whole other layer of complications) and recognize that the responses they adopted in reaction to the original situation are no longer necessary here. At first, it may be easier to begin by learning to love a pet, as it is less vulnerable than loving a person.

This can be done, but it is usually a process of months or years and it requires willingness to go in and deal with something that is very scary. The longer it has been avoided, the more difficult it is to face. In the end, it often is more of a relief than a terrible ordeal to face it, but it feels like the Monster At the End of the Book before that happens. The fear that is there is not a rational one, but it is a very real one.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I disagree. Kind actions can definitely be taught. Kind feelings perhaps less so, but while feelings without action don't accomplish much, actions without feeling can indeed have the desired effect.

The heart speaks for character. The hand speaks for action.

Which value is greater, what's inside versus what manifests is open for questioning.

I, for one, prefer to look within myself for the answer rather than on results.

Ultimately, are we idealists or realists?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

Empathy is related to kindness. They are both an extension of one's self toward another. The former with a specific origin, the later possibly without, which is to say that one can be kind without directly relating to the mind of another.
But the result of a kind act that is not directly related to the mind or state of another, will probably create an empathetic feeling in both parties. They will move toward one another.
And if emapthy can be learned (and I see no reason why it couldn't be), then there is no reason kindness couldn't as well.
I think it's more helpful to relate to thease things as 'motion toward' or 'motion away' from another person.