• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can Emotional Intelligence Be Taught?

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can Emotional Intelligence Be Taught?
By JENNIFER KAHN
11 September 2013
New York Times

Excerpt:
One day last spring, James Wade sat cross-legged on the carpet and called his kindergarten class to order. Lanky and soft-spoken, Wade has a gentle charisma well suited to his role as a teacher of small children: steady, rather than exuberant. When a child performs a requested task, like closing the door after recess, he will often acknowledge the moment by murmuring, “Thank you, sweet pea,” in a mild Texas drawl.

As the children formed a circle, Wade asked the 5-year-olds to think about “anything happening at home, or at school, that’s a problem, that you want to share.” He repeated his invitation twice, in a lulling voice, until a small, round-faced boy in a white shirt and blue cardigan raised his hand. Blinking back tears, he whispered, “My mom does not like me.” The problem, he said, was that he played too much on his mother’s iPhone. “She screams me out every day,” he added, sounding wretched.

Wade let that sink in, then turned to the class and asked, “Have any of your mommies or daddies ever yelled at you?” When half the children raised their hands, Wade nodded encouragingly. “Then maybe we can help.” Turning to a tiny girl in a pink T-shirt, he asked what she felt like when she was yelled at.

“Sad,” the girl said, looking down.

“And what did you do? What words did you use?”

“I said, ‘Mommy, I don’t like to hear you scream at me.’ ”

Wade nodded slowly, then looked around the room. “What do you think? Does that sound like a good thing to say?” When the kids nodded vigorously, Wade clapped his hands once. “O.K., let’s practice. Play like I’m your mommy.” Scooting into the center of the circle, he gave the boy, Reedhom, a small toy bear to stand in for the iPhone, then began to berate him in a ridiculous booming voice. “Lalalala!” Wade hollered, looming overhead in a goofy parody of parental frustration. “Why are you doing that, Reedhom? Reedhom, why?” In the circle, the other kids rocked back and forth in delight. One or two impulsively begin to crawl in Reedhom’s direction, as if joining a game.

Still slightly teary, Reedhom began to giggle. Abruptly, Wade held up a finger. “Now, we talked about this. What can Reedhom do?” Recollecting himself, Reedhom sat up straight. “Mommy, I don’t like it when you scream at me,” he announced firmly.

“Good,” Wade said. “And maybe your mommy will say: ‘I’m sorry, Reedhom. I had to go somewhere in a hurry, and I got a little mad. I’m sorry.’ ”

Reedhom solemnly accepted the apology — then beamed as he shook Wade’s hand.

Wade’s approach — used schoolwide at Garfield Elementary, in Oakland, Calif. — is part of a strategy known as social-emotional learning, which is based on the idea that emotional skills are crucial to academic performance.

“Something we now know, from doing dozens of studies, is that emotions can either enhance or hinder your ability to learn,” Marc Brackett, a senior research scientist in psychology at Yale University, told a crowd of educators at a conference last June. “They affect our attention and our memory. If you’re very anxious about something, or agitated, how well can you focus on what’s being taught?”

Once a small corner of education theory, S.E.L. has gained traction in recent years, driven in part by concerns over school violence, bullying and teen suicide. But while prevention programs tend to focus on a single problem, the goal of social-emotional learning is grander: to instill a deep psychological intelligence that will help children regulate their emotions.

For children, Brackett notes, school is an emotional caldron: a constant stream of academic and social challenges that can generate feelings ranging from loneliness to euphoria. Educators and parents have long assumed that a child’s ability to cope with such stresses is either innate — a matter of temperament — or else acquired “along the way,” in the rough and tumble of ordinary interaction. But in practice, Brackett says, many children never develop those crucial skills. “It’s like saying that a child doesn’t need to study English because she talks with her parents at home,” Brackett told me last spring. “Emotional skills are the same. A teacher might say, ‘Calm down!’ — but how exactly do you calm down when you’re feeling anxious? Where do you learn the skills to manage those feelings?”

A growing number of educators and psychologists now believe that the answer to that question is in school. George Lucas’s Edutopia foundation has lobbied for the teaching of social and emotional skills for the past decade; the State of Illinois passed a bill in 2003 making “social and emotional learning” a part of school curriculums. Thousands of schools now use one of the several dozen programs, including Brackett’s own, that have been approved as “evidence-based” by the Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning, a Chicago-based nonprofit. All told, there are now tens of thousands of emotional-literacy programs running in cities nationwide.

The theory that kids need to learn to manage their emotions in order to reach their potential grew out of the research of a pair of psychology professors — John Mayer, at the University of New Hampshire, and Peter Salovey, at Yale. In the 1980s, Mayer and Salovey became curious about the ways in which emotions communicate information, and why some people seem more able to take advantage of those messages than others. While outlining the set of skills that defined this “emotional intelligence,” Salovey realized that it might be even more influential than he had originally suspected, affecting everything from problem solving to job satisfaction: “It was like, this is predictive!”

In the years since, a number of studies have supported this view. So-called noncognitive skills — attributes like self-restraint, persistence and self-awareness — might actually be better predictors of a person’s life trajectory than standard academic measures. A 2011 study using data collected on 17,000 British infants followed over 50 years found that a child’s level of mental well-being correlated strongly with future success. Similar studies have found that kids who develop these skills are not only more likely to do well at work but also to have longer marriages and to suffer less from depression and anxiety. Some evidence even shows that they will be physically healthier.

This was startling news. “Everybody said, Oh, it’s how kids achieve academically that will predict their adult employment, and health, and everything else,” recalls Mark Greenberg, a Penn State University psychologist. “And then it turned out that for both employment and health outcomes, academic achievement actually predicted less than these other factors.”

Should social-emotional learning prove successful, in other words, it could generate a string of benefits that far exceeds a mere bump in test scores. This prospect has led to some giddiness among researchers. Maurice Elias, a psychology professor at Rutgers University and the director of the Rutgers Social-Emotional Learning Lab, has lauded emotional literacy as “the missing piece” in American education.

But finding ways to measure emotional awareness — never mind its effects — is tricky. It’s also still unclear whether S.E.L. programs create the kind of deep and lasting change they aspire to. The history of education reform is rife with failures: promising programs that succeed in studies, only to falter in the real world.

< read the full story >

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Love this excerpt. Hopefully I'll remember to and still feel like reading the full text later tonight. Psychology is such an interesting field, and its always evolving, both because we learn more and because we change as a species or as societies, so we essentially create both theneed and ability to study the subject more.

Lark

I dont know if it can be taught but it should be learned.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is as vulnerable an area for children as it is essential, and could devastate in the wrong hands. Lots of professional adults are low in EQ, too. Imagine the meanest or least competent teacher from your childhood having this access to your emotional life and growth. I don't want to sap the organic heart of this learning, but objective practice and training standards would be vital to keep this curriculum away from instructors like that.

Even with a competent instructor, though, we're just not compatible with every teacher. Remember that one teacher we've all had who was good for some kids, but you just couldn't thrive under them? In emotional education, just plain incompatibility would have a greater impact. In typology terms, Fe-dominant teacher with an Fi- or Te-dominant student, anybody? It causes enough grief between kids and their parents, except now the district is depending on the class for results.

So in conclusion, this would be ridiculously hard to do, with high risk. It may not be a great idea in a non-ideal world.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is as vulnerable an area for children as it is essential, and could devastate in the wrong hands. Lots of professional adults are low in EQ, too. Imagine the meanest or least competent teacher from your childhood having this access to your emotional life and growth. I don't want to sap the organic heart of this learning, but objective practice and training standards would be vital to keep this curriculum away from instructors like that.

Even with a competent instructor, though, we're just not compatible with every teacher. Remember that one teacher we've all had who was good for some kids, but you just couldn't thrive under them? In emotional education, just plain incompatibility would have a greater impact. In typology terms, Fe-dominant teacher with an Fi- or Te-dominant student, anybody? It causes enough grief between kids and their parents, except now the district is depending on the class for results.

So in conclusion, this would be ridiculously hard to do, with high risk. It may not be a great idea in a non-ideal world.

I see two sides to this. First, the idea is fascinating. If it could be done effectively, what an incredible advantage to the children who would have access to this kind of learning. A lot of EQ is innate but things can be learned. It's what we do as we mature.

On the other side, it disturbs me. Putting myself in he shoes of a 5 year old participating in something like that, I think I would not be horrified but would not like participating in some of those exercises at all. It's just one more thing that makes the introverted thinking child uncomfortable. It is ripe for abuse - teachers imposing their values on children, private issues in families becoming public, etc. What are good EQ behaviors and bad ones? Yikes. Fe vs. Fi. Do we want to allow teachers to do that? A huge percentage of elementary school teachers are SJs. Do we want them imposing their way of handling these things on the kids?

I don't know. It's interesting for sure.
[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] - what do you think?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Hmm. I find myself thinking of the child who learns to assert in this manner, goes home, tries out their new skill, and gets struck for the attempt. There's a lack of wisdom in this, no discernment of the subtlety of things ...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. I find myself thinking of the child who learns to assert in this manner, goes home, tries out their new skill, and gets struck for the attempt. There's a lack of wisdom in this, no discernment of the subtlety of things ...

Good point.

Lark

Why is this an issue now?

Did every society to date just take care of this without it being necessary for it to be on the public school curiculum and then why? And why isnt it take care of as a matter of course today?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Did every society to date just take care of this without it being necessary for it to be on the public school curiculum and then why? And why isnt it take care of as a matter of course today?

Because we teach men these days to stop being pussy whiners. Surprisingly, some people are starting to think that this was not a good idea. No wonder we're all fucking crazy.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On the other side, it disturbs me. Putting myself in he shoes of a 5 year old participating in something like that, I think I would not be horrified but would not like participating in some of those exercises at all. It's just one more thing that makes the introverted thinking child uncomfortable. It is ripe for abuse - teachers imposing their values on children, private issues in families becoming public, etc. What are good EQ behaviors and bad ones? Yikes. Fe vs. Fi. Do we want to allow teachers to do that? A huge percentage of elementary school teachers are SJs. Do we want them imposing their way of handling these things on the kids?
I agree. I have read similar articles, and they all come across as trying to turn I_T/INT's into E_Fs of some kind. It reminded me of how people used to try to force lefties to use their right hands in school. School was trying enough in this respect without explicit "emotional training" using some not universally compatible model. Not everyone deals with emotions the same way, and that is - or at least should be - OK. Schools would do better to teach basic reasoning, how to size up a situation and separate facts from opinion, link causes and effects, and understand risk and probability. This would help them be able to understand situations better, and make better decisions.

Schools should start by setting the bar higher for behavior. This would include teaching students that it's OK to feel what you are feeling, but not OK to act on it in ways that are destructive, hurtful, or disrespectful. I would prefer to see the kindergarten circle focus on the type of incident that actually happens in school - say, kids fighting over the kickball at recess, or teasing a new student. This keeps the focus on school, respects family privacy, while at the same time giving kids skills that they should eventually feel confident enough applying elsewhere. I suppose this is just another version of conflict resolution training. The key is to show students that there are many right ways to approach a conflict, and to help them find what works for them.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree. I have read similar articles, and they all come across as trying to turn I_T/INT's into E_Fs of some kind. It reminded me of how people used to try to force lefties to use their right hands in school. School was trying enough in this respect without explicit "emotional training" using some not universally compatible model. Not everyone deals with emotions the same way, and that is - or at least should be - OK.

I do think there are different kinds of conflicts between people, and they require different ways of dealing with it. It did seem to me that the approach mentioned in the OP would be good for dealing with situations where everyone basically means well, and just unintentionally mistreads people. Like in a romantic relationship, or among coworkers.

I'm not sure how effective it would be with an abusive parent, or a bully. I suspect not very.

I think a lot of elementary/preschool teachers are ExFs, so they might think this is awesome. But, thinking about how it would have made me feel, doing it in front of the whole class would be terrifying. I like to keep many of emotions relatively private, and will not discuss them with anyone, in any context. This isn't because I'm afraid and need "growth" to realize that I can say what's on my mind, but rather because I have found that many people are poorly equipped to deal with my feeling stuff because they are intense, and not something people can empathize with to begin with.

As a kid, I think it would be even worse, because adults have a way of assuming that all kids are the same, even though they aren't. I can also see a lot of "no one is wrong, there are just different points of view" stuff that no one truly believes, and worse, denies that in conflict situations, sometimes one person can truly stand out as the asshole. I can see a lot of fake "impartiality" that is really nothing more than wanting to avoid making a decision and hope that the problem takes care of itself. I'm kind of extrapolating from the examples given to situations where this method is tried where there are conflicts between students.

I mean, it's better than "stop whining about it, you're 6 years old and a man now", but it doesn't seem like a perfect solution.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I think that you can absolutely learn emotional skills. While there are potential issues with teaching emotional skills in public schools, it should be noted that this 'new' 'social emotional learning' is the way humans have learned about their own emotions, regardless if they had good teachers or not, for as long as we formed groups and had families. Having evidence based teachers certainly sounds nice.

I see two sides to this. First, the idea is fascinating. If it could be done effectively, what an incredible advantage to the children who would have access to this kind of learning. A lot of EQ is innate but things can be learned. It's what we do as we mature.

On the other side, it disturbs me. Putting myself in he shoes of a 5 year old participating in something like that, I think I would not be horrified but would not like participating in some of those exercises at all. It's just one more thing that makes the introverted thinking child uncomfortable. It is ripe for abuse - teachers imposing their values on children, private issues in families becoming public, etc. What are good EQ behaviors and bad ones? Yikes. ...

Absolutely. Child is upset that mom is yelling and is taught to express self and to expect an apology like at school. Parent is not abusive, but does not apologize, believing that as the adult, they are to be respected when they speak. Emotional expression vs. parental authority. Who wins?

While assuming we're not teaching children reckless confidence, let's say this does happen.

Daddy is drunk, belligerent, the child is very upset and says "daddy, your yelling scares me" and the father hits the kid. The kid comes to his peer group and talks about it, and then the school knows about it, social services knows about it. This is a real double edged sword for family privacy, but bear with me:

What might have happened otherwise, without the training at school?

Daddy is drunk and belligerent. Young kid is afraid and hides in his room. The weight of family stress weighs on him, academic performance suffers, and he grows up thinking, spurred on by his parents, that he's a coward or a weakling and suppresses those emotions, becoming an abuser of his own variety until he learns to acknowledge those emotions honestly, which might never happen.

This does seems like a good way to nip it in the bud...

As I stated above, this whole idea is certainly not a new one. I think that past generations had considerably more sense of community, however, and the breakdown of what might be described as a whole village structure has been replaced in many places with nuclear families in the suburbs, in a state of high social isolation.

Meaning that if you don't get it at home, you're probably not going to get it much anywhere else, and hence public schools being eyed as a way to fill the gap.

That said, I strongly question the public curriculum emotionally groom children for compliance teach the children to process their emotions because I'm not sure what or how they are teaching.

Perhaps simply learning how to gain insight into the emotions, whatever they are, without teaching what you should do with them, would be a better idea. Meditative focus. By just teaching how to observe emotions you can gain a large amount of benefit without the messiness of telling people what to do.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree. I have read similar articles, and they all come across as trying to turn I_T/INT's into E_Fs of some kind. It reminded me of how people used to try to force lefties to use their right hands in school. School was trying enough in this respect without explicit "emotional training" using some not universally compatible model. Not everyone deals with emotions the same way, and that is - or at least should be - OK. Schools would do better to teach basic reasoning, how to size up a situation and separate facts from opinion, link causes and effects, and understand risk and probability. This would help them be able to understand situations better, and make better decisions.

Schools should start by setting the bar higher for behavior. This would include teaching students that it's OK to feel what you are feeling, but not OK to act on it in ways that are destructive, hurtful, or disrespectful. I would prefer to see the kindergarten circle focus on the type of incident that actually happens in school - say, kids fighting over the kickball at recess, or teasing a new student. This keeps the focus on school, respects family privacy, while at the same time giving kids skills that they should eventually feel confident enough applying elsewhere. I suppose this is just another version of conflict resolution training. The key is to show students that there are many right ways to approach a conflict, and to help them find what works for them.

Sorry, now you re very much biased towards the logical side of things. Basic reasoning and risk probability as you call it is something that honestly does not come naturally in a similar way to other kinds of kids. I needed to understand the eq stuff before I could factor in this stuff, growing up. Also, if you are effectively teaching EQ - and therefore are qualified in the field as a teacher - one of the basic premises *IS* that everyone deals with emotions differently and that that is ok. That is part of what you would be teaching to the students. That, and finding their own way, as well as creating acceptance and awareness amongst others that your way - even if a bit different from what is commonly used - is just as valid. It's just part of the innate wisdom package that comes with EQ.

The thing I worry about is...while I love the idea of doing this and kids should certainly be taught these tools, I fear that wisdom, which is often what you attain with raising your EQ, is something that only comes when someone is genuinely seeking it. Iow, it is *hard* to force someone to develop EQ who isnt ready, doesnt want to or generally just aint equipped for it yet. And the knowledge you teach them to get to that wisdom is often...well, its material that without that frame of mind that leads to wisdom, is rather dangerous and open to being abused for personal gain.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry, now you re very much biased towards the logical side of things. Basic reasoning and risk probability as you call it is something that honestly does not come naturally in a similar way to other kinds of kids. I needed to understand the eq stuff before I could factor in this stuff, growing up. Also, if you are effectively teaching EQ - and therefore are qualified in the field as a teacher - one of the basic premises *IS* that everyone deals with emotions differently and that that is ok. That is part of what you would be teaching to the students. That, and finding their own way, as well as creating acceptance and awareness amongst others that your way - even if a bit different from what is commonly used - is just as valid. It's just part of the innate wisdom package that comes with EQ.
I was waiting for someone to point this out. I don't see the two approaches as equivalent, however, for two reasons. (1) Reasoning, logic, probability, etc. are easier to teach to a broader spectrum of people due to their more objective nature. If you are doing math problems, everyone should come up with the same answers. Emotional skills are much more subjective and results will vary, making it harder to teach to a diverse audience. (2) Reasoning skills are broadly applicable, and should be taught anyway, as part of the science curriculum if nothing else. Showing students how they can be used to address other sorts of problems, including conflicts and relationships, leverages what they are already learning, and reinforces it in both contexts.

The thing I worry about is...while I love the idea of doing this and kids should certainly be taught these tools, I fear that wisdom, which is often what you attain with raising your EQ, is something that only comes when someone is genuinely seeking it. Iow, it is *hard* to force someone to develop EQ who isnt ready, doesnt want to or generally just aint equipped for it yet. And the knowledge you teach them to get to that wisdom is often...well, its material that without that frame of mind that leads to wisdom, is rather dangerous and open to being abused for personal gain.
I heard on the radio (NPR) recently that Charles Manson based many of his strategies for gaining and manipulating followers on the popular advice of Dale Carnegie. So yes, the right knowledge in the wrong hands does harm rather than good. I still can't imagine, though, being made to endure the kind of teaching described in the OP. What we had when I was in school was bad enough. Hopefully the people pushing these systems will be aware enough to make sure not to alienate people. That would defeat the purpose.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was waiting for someone to point this out. I don't see the two approaches as equivalent, however, for two reasons. (1) Reasoning, logic, probability, etc. are easier to teach to a broader spectrum of people due to their more objective nature. If you are doing math problems, everyone should come up with the same answers. Emotional skills are much more subjective and results will vary, making it harder to teach to a diverse audience. (2) Reasoning skills are broadly applicable, and should be taught anyway, as part of the science curriculum if nothing else. Showing students how they can be used to address other sorts of problems, including conflicts and relationships, leverages what they are already learning, and reinforces it in both contexts.

I heard on the radio (NPR) recently that Charles Manson based many of his strategies for gaining and manipulating followers on the popular advice of Dale Carnegie. So yes, the right knowledge in the wrong hands does harm rather than good. I still can't imagine, though, being made to endure the kind of teaching described in the OP. What we had when I was in school was bad enough. Hopefully the people pushing these systems will be aware enough to make sure not to alienate people. That would defeat the purpose.

K, let's take this to MBTI terms. Jung stated specifically that both F(i) and T(i) are rational processes. They are both equally subjective and objective, depending on the way you look at them, imho. Reasoning with values and emotions is just as 'accurate' as reasoning with logic is, and is the basis of EQ. And, either one can be twisted. Sure, with math you re supposed to get the same results. But that's hardly the only application of logic, cause and effect and probability. If you see how ENTPs take pleasure in arguing both sides of the same case, effectively playing devil's advocate at times, one begins to understand that logic is just as bendable as values are depending on how you frame it. Context is everything. And might I add, I flunked math (and redid it) coz I somehow always ended up making for me perfectly logical, but apparently not logical to *other people* types of leaps that got me a different conclusion :alttongue:

My point is, reasoning isn't just the realm of logic. And it is just as doable to teach value-based reasoning. And much like with math and those other supposedly easier and more teachable skills according to you, there will be people who will struggle with it, and people who will take to it like a fish in water.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My point is, reasoning isn't just the realm of logic. And it is just as doable to teach value-based reasoning. And much like with math and those other supposedly easier and more teachable skills according to you, there will be people who will struggle with it, and people who will take to it like a fish in water.
Easier and most teachable are not the same thing. I agree with your comments about values-based reasoning. Most reasoning does include values, since we need some yardstick of what is important, what the priorities are. What I am objecting to is the way in which emotions are handled in this approach. Just expecting some people to talk about them, and in a very public setting, is likely to alienate some students in a very counterproductive way. I will likely have more comments later - it is late on my end now.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Easier and most teachable are not the same thing. I agree with your comments about values-based reasoning. Most reasoning does include values, since we need some yardstick of what is important, what the priorities are. What I am objecting to is the way in which emotions are handled in this approach. Just expecting some people to talk about them, and in a very public setting, is likely to alienate some students in a very counterproductive way. I will likely have more comments later - it is late on my end now.

That, I definitely agree with.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
This does seems like a good way to nip it in the bud...

Yes, but it can't just be a formula and it's not simply about the concept of such things, it's about the implementation. This is the part I expressed loosely as wisdom, and admittedly I didn't expand on what I meant by that. I see tons of opportunity in trying to bake an emotionally intelligent component into school life. It's just that so many questions go along with that for me - what things are we going to teach, what ages are we going to teach these things at, how will we measure success. I hesitate to think that a program kit and one hour of teacher training is going to suddenly unlock the EQ world for these kids. If anything, it may fail to teach the kinds of observational skills necessary to know when to make emotional judgements. This kind of emotional awareness to me has to be woven through the entire day as real-world situations arise. However, I think it's useful at the very least that such programs provide even a cursory glance at the concept that feelings are important. I know that if there had been these types of materials when I was in grade school I would have been very drawn to them. If I was a teacher I'd be eager to look to them for foundational support.

Perhaps simply learning how to gain insight into the emotions, whatever they are, without teaching what you should do with them, would be a better idea. Meditative focus. By just teaching how to observe emotions you can gain a large amount of benefit without the messiness of telling people what to do.

Yes, I like that, nicely said.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll come back and read through this in a bit more detail, but just wanted to quickly mention that the Dalai Lama has this as one of his missions in life. He explores it in depth in: "Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama".

R

RDF

Schools have been attempting this kind of social engineering for decades. Meditation was big in the 60s and 70s. I remember attending some presentations in high school around 1971 or 72 that taught breathing techniques and ways of handling emotions (visualize your negative emotions as a blue balloon, and watch the balloon float away into the air). I was intrigued enough by the presentations to remember them across all these years, but I’m pretty sure I never actually used the techniques in daily life while in high school. It was just something weird that was taught in the classroom, and not something that I would actually use IRL.

As the author points out in the article, there is little or no research supporting the idea that these kinds of classes do any good. OTOH, there is some evidence showing that they may harm kids: The article cites the example of the self-esteem movement taught in schools in the 1980s resulting in kids with higher narcissism scores.

But mostly I think these classes just don’t have much effect. Teachers teach them by rote, kids learn them by rote, and then the kids never really apply them in their daily life. Daily life doesn’t tend to cooperate with emotional techniques taught in the classroom. It’s like my own experience that I described in the first paragraph: Kids compartmentalize. Kids don’t make the connect between the neat little drills that are taught in school and the grit and fears and travails of daily life outside of school.

On pages 6 and 7 of the article, the author talks about systems taught on a much broader schedule: The Two-Step program (page 6) and the Ruler program (page 7). I liked the idea on page 7 of the kids actually practicing their techniques with each other out at recess or in gym class or whatever. But even there, I can imagine that young kids would simply discard those rules and techniques once they go home after school. After all, those school-taught techniques only work when the other kids are similarly trained and everyone is playing by the same set of rules in a supervised setting. Once kids leave the school for the day, they’re going to be re-entering a world that doesn’t play by those rules.

I suppose you can raise kids’ awareness about emotions. But the interplay of emotions is so complex that it isn't easily condensable into neat little lessons for kids. Adults have trouble learning these same techniques in leadership classes and then applying them in the corporate world, where their livelihood is at stake. Some say that kids are more malleable than adults, but with kids I think it’s more about gobbling up drills and rote learning, which probably doesn’t translate into any real gains once the kids leave the classroom setting (again, see the first paragraph).

(Just riffing off my personal experience here; YMMV of course.)

[Edit:] A quick edit, to clarify a point: I think it’s possible to take a child with poor emotional control (IOW, a child with a deficit in such skills) and give him one-on-one training and some basic techniques to help him out. Such a kid may in fact welcome additional coping tools for dealing more effectively with the world around him. The world around him demands a higher level of emotional skills than that particular kid currently has, so that kid has immediate use for such skills.

But the question that the article raises is: Can you take "average" kids and hothouse them to a higher level of emotional consciousness. And I think in the latter case the larger world is going to work against that: The peers and families of such kids who aren’t trained in the same techniques won’t operate by the same rules, etc., meaning that the techniques won’t translate well wrt the real-world activities of "average" kids.