User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Dreams and MBTI

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Default Dreams and MBTI

I'd like to ask you if you think there is a correlation between type of dream and cognitive functions.

I'm asking this because most of my dreams revolve around adventures, where I am the hero and I have to save myself and other people. I was thinking just now that this may be connected to Ne. So I was wondering if an Ni-dom, Fe-dom, etc would have different kinds of dreams. It would be cool if more people could share their dream types so we can understand if there is a correlation with cognitive functions or not (and if the correlation is only with the dominant function or also the auxiliary - for instance, maybe adventure dreams are Ne-Fi, I don't know)

The plots in my dreams are normally very elaborate and sometimes I swear they are so intricate that I feel I could write a movie. They are normally full of action and the enemy is often unclear or the motive for the attack is unclear. It's always my responsibility to save everyone because it appears that I'm always the calmest person, who can still reason and come up with ideas. However, I usually fall back on someone else for emotional support or emotional meaning. I also know that it always works out for me, I always escape from the bad guys or save everyone, but before this happens a lot of different scenarios and situations will still have to happen. Often I can also fly, or I have scenes in the air, like using parachutes, and my dreams are also very vivid in color. Lastly, several times it has happened that I use information in my dreams that I didn't know (I knew) about or that I wake up knowing something new.

For instance, I posted this once here:

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

My dreams are generally a process where I think theories through and refine them. I then wake up with a better understanding.

It's strange though, because my dreams teach me things, but they don't stay with me as memories. They're more like concepts I integrate into my overall mental structure.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    My dreams are generally a process where I think theories through and refine them. I then wake up with a better understanding.

It's strange though, because my dreams teach me things, but they don't stay with me as memories. They're more like concepts I integrate into my overall mental structure.
    ok but....what is your type?

ndovjtjcaqidthi

My dreams are profoundly vivid. I remember like 5 per night. They're normally very intricate.

I have been lucid dreaming all my life, and I am prone to really bad nightmares.. Like, I basically lose my mind and bad trip in my dreams. I'm blessed and cursed..

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    ok but....what is your type?
    Does it matter what type I believe myself to be? You can dream up whatever type you want for me. I can do the same as well.

That's another thing about dreams. They're very subjective, much like our typing opinions tend to be.

Still, I guess it's all contingent with the individual. As for myself, just think of a type that tends to overthink things.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Does it matter what type I believe myself to be?
    yes, since i explicitly said the point of this thread was to see if there was any correlation between mbti type/cognitive functions and dream type.

Infinite Bubble

My dreams are also about large-scale adventures. But their substance is usually a manifestation of a deep-seated anxiety or desire. The anxiety or desire, by the end, is usually either resolved, or the worst happens instead. They are very fun either way. They're usually realistic and, apart from some strange things and logical inconsistencies, could certainly happen in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    I'd like to ask you if you think there is a correlation between type of dream and cognitive functions.

I'm asking this because most of my dreams revolve around adventures, where I am the hero and I have to save myself and other people. I was thinking just now that this may be connected to Ne. So I was wondering if an Ni-dom, Fe-dom, etc would have different kinds of dreams. It would be cool if more people could share their dream types so we can understand if there is a correlation with cognitive functions or not (and if the correlation is only with the dominant function or also the auxiliary - for instance, maybe adventure dreams are Ne-Fi, I don't know)
    Okay, here's the thing. You're an ENFP. So your dominant conscious functions are Ne and Fi. But your dreams aren't a manifestation of the conscious. They are a manifestation of the unconscious - it's your unconscious mind at work. Therefore I think they'd be correlated with functions lower in your stack. Your particular dreams might actually be from Se, for instance. My dreams are certainly Se-ish in nature, and for me that is probably the 7th/8th function. Why would you use your conscious cognition in your dreams? Dreams are essentially products of thoughts that have gone into the unconscious and need to be sorted through. Maybe the dreams are affected by conscious cognition, but are not in themselves. An example is this - "I usually fall back on someone else for emotional support or emotional meaning." Unconscious Fe desire for support, perhaps?

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Mine usually involve houses and buildings. I dream about pretty clothes a lot, and often food. School a lot. Sometimes I interact with others. I also dream a lot about cats. My dreams are really vivid and colorful. I don't know what this says about my JCF's. Mostly Se, occasionally Te (anxiety over accomplishment), Fe (helping/saving other people and animals, empathizing with terrible things going on with other people), and Ni (occasional astral travel and spiritual meaning). The opposite of those doesn't add up to a type, so I must be using some of my conscious functions. If I'm not INFJ, then that will be bad.

I've posted several dreams and dream comments in my blogs, if anyone happens to want to look at them.

Last night:

WALMART

I dream about pink ponies prancing across plowed farmland, freshly tilled to supply my needs for crafting homemade bourbons, and in turn, mint juleps. Hornets are usually present, and a recurring pair of marshmellow socks. I'm always searching for towers to climb up with my bicycle, and only realize I'm dreaming when a Happy Verticle People Transporter cues me in on it.

What am I?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Okay, here's the thing. You're an ENFP. So your dominant conscious functions are Ne and Fi. But your dreams aren't a manifestation of the conscious. They are a manifestation of the unconscious - it's your unconscious mind at work. Therefore I think they'd be correlated with functions lower in your stack.
    wow that's so interesting. but however, i'd argue that dreams are a manifestation of the unconscious mind, not unconscious function. right? a function is a mechanism to bring thoughts to the surface, thoughts which can be conscious or unconscious. don't you agree?

also, you've made me think that probably the nature of dreams is much more connected to the enneagram than to mbti.....

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I dream about pink ponies prancing across plowed farmland, freshly tilled to supply my needs for crafting homemade bourbons, and in turn, mint juleps. Hornets are usually present, and a recurring pair of marshmellow socks. I'm always searching for towers to climb up with my bicycle, and only realize I'm dreaming when a Happy Verticle People Transporter cues me in on it.

What am I?
    a unicorn?