• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

_

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

You know there are different types of schizophrenia right?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm schizoaffective which for me is a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. and I can tell you why I go off of meds 90% of the time. It's because I begin to feel normal and stable and think I don't need them, then eventually end up delusional and hallucinating again and really unstable.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

What's the relevance of bringing up this point?

That said, since you brought it up, I had a conversation with a schizophrenic a couple of months ago. He was good at hacky sack and quite erudite. He also believed he was part of a vast conspiracy involving the CIA, and that, for instance, they had injected him with nanobots etc. It went on and on and on, endlessly. Most of them that I've met have a hard time forming 3 sentences that cohere.

My point is there's a difference between a Syd Barrett and a Richard Chase. Not all Schizos are "Ticking time bombs".

baccheion

First of all, some of these meds have associated with them side-effects so severe that they make the original symptoms look like a walk in the park. The medication also can cause people to function at much less than a normal level. There are those that stop taking the meds because they feel better, but there are those that stop the medication because the side-effects and ill-effects are so bad that "insanity is preferred." For those in the early stages (or anyone really) I recommend adding Niacin to the list of supplements you take to help with your condition. The great thing about it is that it has very little in the way of side effects, and if there is nothing wrong with you, you have buffered yourself against any possible psychosis episodes while lowering your cholesterol.

Anyone with Schizophrenia should try regular Niacin (not the slow release kind). 3g/day with 3g Vitamin C and 1g Vitamin B5. After a meal. You would increment the dosage 250-500mg every few days until you get to 3g. It may take a few weeks to start working, but it may help without the side effects of the other meds. It's worth a try if other things don't work that well, because you can take it while taking the other meds, and there are no real side effects. Also, this combo is good if you aren't sure you have the problem, because it's harmless if there's nothing wrong with you. That is, it won't do any damage, and as a matter of fact it will lower your cholesterol levels. If you start to even out, then a combination of diet (low carb diet), exercise (high intensity interval training), and vitamin/mineral supplementation should lessen your need for antipsychotics, etc.

DoctorYourself.com - Niacin Therapy Details

How do you help someone who doesn't think anything is wrong? : Schizophrenia Forum - Psych forums

Also brainwave entrainment (Neuro-Programmer 3) may help ease some of the symptoms, again with no side effects if there is nothing wrong with you (try the Gamma session).

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=19605]mingularity[/MENTION], how do you know all these people you're encountering have schizophrenia?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree it would be nice if society could help people get treated, and sadly there just aren't enough resources. As for the person you describe, I would feel bad pressing charges and having him possibly end up in some prison, but if he's dangerous, that might be the best option. I'd rather send someone to prison than have them push me around. Most schizophrenics I don't think are all that dangerous though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
The schizophrenics are the ones yelling obscenities at you with nary a provocation followed by a nonsensical stream of consciousness. Or those with a highly unlikely conspiracy theory laden take on reality. The former kind often make themselves known to you. The latter are waiting to be asked.

bipolars in a manic state can do this exact same thing.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or people addicted to drugs.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is an issue when people who need help for mental illness by the nature of their illness have a limited capacity to give consent. It does make for a complicated moral dilemma. I think it is difficult to tell if someone is mentally ill or on drugs, especially from a distance.

I will also mention that what you described in the OP would be extremely unnerving.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
...even if they have a disorder that does not necessarily mean that it automatically becomes society's right to impose medication on them, even if it is "for the better"...

Dr. Charles Raison said:
This last point is so important that I feel the treatment of schizophrenia is one of the few places in medicine in which it can be justified to treat people against their will.

I don't know. This is a dangerous line to cross.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...even if they have a disorder that does not necessarily mean that it automatically becomes society's right to impose medication on them, even if it is "for the better"...

Is it society's right to impose health insurance on others, even if it is "for the better"?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"This last point is so important that I feel the treatment of schizophrenia is one of the few places in medicine in which it can be justified to treat people against their will."

Psychosis doesn't have a "will," so the doctor is wrong in making this statement.