User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Therapy has never done jack shit for me. I could go into the details as to why, but I won't make this be all about me (although I suspect it has a lot to do with being a 4w5 INFP).
    No, I'm curious as to why you think this is. And thanks for the encouragement. I hope DBT is helpful for you -- based on what I've read, it doesn't sound like DBT would fit my situation well, but it does seem like a good idea for people who have been through extensive therapy with few results.
    @mingularity and @CapLawyer, thank you for your advice.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

@brainheart, I have started to practice meditation and mindfulness as well. I was in therapy for a while, and it helped me to feel empowered to change my situation, but I definitely didn't feel like it was any kind of magic wand.

I'm fighting anxiety, depression, and an eating disorder (going from anorexia to non-purging bulimia which is basically just a binge/starve cycle). So I know we're dealing with different things, but I definitely can relate to having a high/low cycle. I agree that exercise addiction, like any addiction, is unhealthy.

Meditation and yoga are helping me work to rise above my emotions and circumstances. Even just the consistency of practicing has helped me feel steadier. When I'm feeling out of control, I know I'm putting in a regular effort to meditate and be at peace with my mind, body, and spirit and I'm able to feel good about that. Like I'm on the right road at least.

How have you been practicing meditation? I'm looking for ways to focus more on that aspect of my practice.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by mingularity View Post
    I largely agree with fia, although I'm not sure about EMDR. Meditation is nice because it will give you a calm, peaceful, mentally quiet happy place. You then need to train yourself to go there when you start to get stressed out. This is the hard part.

Overall, I would suggest that you need to train yourself to allow yourself to be really happy. Talking and thinking may or may not help you get there. Have you instead tried a dose of happy drugs? Step 0: Go to the gym, hop on the elliptical or treadmill and do 30 minutes of high intensity interval training. Endorphines. Happiness. You won't be able to help it. Step 2: Do it again two days later. Step 3: Do it three times a week or more.

This is almost guaranteed to make you really happy for at least a few minutes per week, and studies show that exercise works better than antidepressants and anxiolytics on average. This is not to say that meds can't work, but that it's really hard to pair a set of medications with a set of symptoms. Which is why they usually get the pairing wrong. You can't go wrong with exercise though.
    My dear friend was literally laid out with depression and whenever anyone laid this endorphins from excercise wisdom on her, all she heard was "you're fat." Major depression isn't so simple to just will ones way out of.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    My dear friend was literally laid out with depression and whenever anyone laid this endorphins from excercise wisdom on her, all she heard was "you're fat." Major depression isn't so simple to just will ones way out of.
    +100
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    In this situation I would recommend http://www.stickk.com . It might be easier to accomplish seting up a contract on yourself to go to the gym then it is to go to the gym without the contract. It's important that you put enough money to motivate you on the line, and you can optionally have someone else enforce the contract for you. When I use it I have the money go to anti-charities, because F no I am not giving my money to them

MBTI
    STUF

Quote Originally Posted by mingularity View Post
    In this situation I would recommend http://www.stickk.com . It might be easier to accomplish seting up a contract on yourself to go to the gym then it is to go to the gym without the contract. It's important that you put enough money to motivate you on the line, and you can optionally have someone else enforce the contract for you. When I use it I have the money go to anti-charities, because F no I am not giving my money to them
    Unless your intent is to set an example of what not to do, perhaps you should remove Feynman's quote from your signature, for you have surely fooled yourself into thinking you know far more than you do.

MBTI
    INTj

You are so mean these days, Gish. What happened?

*grabs paper and pencil*
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    Unless your intent is to set an example of what not to do, perhaps you should remove Feynman's quote from your signature, for you have surely fooled yourself into thinking you know far more than you do.
    Waits patiently for the substance behind this post to arrive.

MBTI
    yupp

anyone who's been through severe clinical depression, knows not to say well if you eat right and exercise it will magically dissapear, that's not how severe clinical depression works. It takes meds to get stablized and therapy and if you're lucky once your stabelized and have learned coping skills than perhaps you can either lower your dosage or get off them completely. and once you're stablized and actually able to function some what then you can consider exercise. but exercise helps mild depression, but for moderate to severe you need something more.