123 Last

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Question Spacing out, especially in the early morning.

. I've noticed a problem that I seem to have is spacing out all the time, but especially the first four hours after I wake up on a school day. I fight against doing it, but it still happens. I'll be sitting doing class work or listening to a lecture, and all of the sudden, it's like I've jumped forward in time between five minutes and thirty minutes, and I have no recollection of the lost time. Out of curiosity, I've asked people around me exactly what I do during those periods of lost time, and every time I hear the same thing: I sit there with glassy eyes, but with an otherwise very puzzled expression. I won't respond to being called and I really don't do anything but sit and look like I'm thinking really hard.

. I'm trying to find a solution to this because it is beginning to get really annoying, especially since Spanish is my first class of the day and I have no prior experience with the language. In the past, I was able to get away with this happening because I already knew everything anyway, and if I got a test, I could ace it without really having paid attention or having studied.

. I originally thought perhaps that a lack of sleep was the culprit, but after I tested this by training myself to go to bed earlier, I found that an increase in sleep did not improve my situation. Next, I tested the hypothesis that I was under-stimulated. I asked more questions to stimulate my mind and get myself more involved in the discussion. Surprisingly, this also failed as I eventually trailed off into that strange state that seems to ambush me. My next idea is that perhaps it is not the amount of sleep I'm getting or my stimulation, but rather the time I must get up. This factor, however, is beyond my control.

Has anybody every experienced anything like this, and if so, what was your solution?

@Lady X
    @The Great One
    @Stansmith
    @nicolita
    @Starry
    @Ism
    @Poimandres
    @skylights
    @PeaceBaby

I also somewhat expect its a perceiver thing, so I am calling people I know for sure are perceivers.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

You say you don't respond to being called. Can you actually be roused from this state? Can someone "snap you out of it"?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Haha oh god that's no good magic. I do space out a lot but not for that long and someone calling my name would bring me back to earth. I'm a lil concerned that its some weird narcoleptic type deal or something.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    yupp

yeah everyone spaces out from time to I space out closer towards the end of the day, but i do not lose time. So I'm concerned about the losing of time.because that's def not normal

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    You say you don't respond to being called. Can you actually be roused from this state? Can someone "snap you out of it"?
    Not readily, but I've found that if somebody shakes me or calls me by name close by at a very high volume, those instances have brought me back. I can recall plenty of times people said they've called me, but I didn't respond. It happens most frequently as well as most severely between 5:00 AM and 10:30 AM. At other times, I'll space out, but for not as long and I don't go into such a deep, trance-like state.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Whoa, no I've never spaced out to that degree on a regular basis. How long and how frequently has this been happening?
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I wish I could add something useful but I have never experienced the like. The type of "spacing out" I typically do is when I am driving and thinking, and then suddenly I am at my destination. I echo @Lady X in that you may want to make sure it's not a sleep disorder, or a dissociative thing.

Also, do you eat anything in the morning? Possible that a little chemical metabolism jumpstart might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Not readily, but I've found that if somebody shakes me or calls me by name close by at a very high volume, those instances have brought me back. I can recall plenty of times people said they've called me, but I didn't respond. It happens most frequently as well as most severely between 5:00 AM and 10:30 AM. At other times, I'll space out, but for not as long and I don't go into such a deep, trance-like state.
    I space out like that, except I'm always aware and responsive.

One of the first things to rule out is temporal lobe epilepsy. I worked as an EEG tech with patients who had severe epilepsy (and who were off there medications so that we could record a seizure on EEG and video), and I used to see symptoms exactly like or very similar to yours daily.

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/epilepsy_temporallobe

Do you have any of the risk factors?

From: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/epi...N=risk-factors
    1. Age. The onset of epilepsy is most common during early childhood and after age 60, but the condition can occur at any age.
    2. Family history. If you have a family history of epilepsy, you may be at an increased risk of developing a seizure disorder.
    3. Head injuries. Head injuries are responsible for some cases of epilepsy. You can reduce your risk by wearing a seat belt while riding in a car and by wearing a helmet while bicycling, skiing, riding a motorcycle or engaging in other activities with a high risk of head injury.
    4. Stroke and other vascular diseases. Stroke and other blood vessel (vascular) diseases can lead to brain damage that may trigger epilepsy. You can take a number of steps to reduce your risk of these diseases, including limiting your intake of alcohol and avoiding cigarettes, eating a healthy diet, and exercising regularly.
    5. Dementia. Dementia can increase the risk of epilepsy in older adults.
    6. Brain infections. Infections such as meningitis, which causes inflammation in your brain or spinal cord, can increase your risk.
    7. Seizures in childhood. High fevers in childhood can sometimes be associated with seizures. Children who have seizures due to high fevers generally won't develop epilepsy, although the risk is higher if they have a long seizure, other nervous system conditions or a family history of epilepsy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Well, I would get yourself medically evaluated. Have you ever gone to a Dr about this? Is it new or something that you've experienced for a long time?

Do you have ADD? Some people report spacing out like this, but usually remember that they are daydreaming ... http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childh...attentive-type

You could read about Maladaptive Daydreaming: http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/ but again, those folks know they are daydreaming.

The losing time part makes it seem possibly like an absence seizure - but that's a much longer length of time than is typical for such a seizure. Do people say you do anything while you are glassy eyed? Like smacking your lips or moving some other part of your body? Could be a kind of complex partial seizure.

Not to get you worrying or anything, but the losing time aspect and not knowing what you did is the part that is most alarming.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Well, I would get yourself medically evaluated. Have you ever gone to a Dr about this? Is it new or something that you've experienced for a long time?

Do you have ADD? Some people report spacing out like this, but usually remember that they are daydreaming ... http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childh...attentive-type

You could read about Maladaptive Daydreaming: http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/ but again, those folks know they are daydreaming.

The losing time part makes it seem possibly like an absence seizure - but that's a much longer length of time than is typical for such a seizure. Do people say you do anything while you are glassy eyed? Like smacking your lips or moving some other part of your body? Could be a kind of complex partial seizure.

Not to get you worrying or anything, but the losing time aspect and not knowing what you did is the part that is most alarming.
    Yes, I was diagnosed with ADD when I was younger.

I daydream, as well.

I think what is happening is similar to daydreaming, but it really only happens a certain time of day and I can never remember what happened while I was gone. The only thing that I've heard people mention besides me sitting there is that I play in my hair.

I'll try not to think about seizures...

I can make myself physically ill with worry about things...

http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/
    Reading this, yes, I do that, though I do the other thing in the mornings as well.
    I'll pace back and forth thinking about my next artwork or sci-fi/fantasy novella, and occasionally I hurt myself. I'm nursing a sprained ankle from a recent episode.

Although, when I do it it's more that it happens, then I choose to draw it or write about it. People actually seem to like reading what I imagine...

http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/symptoms.htm
    Reading this, this is spot on with what I've experienced from a young age...
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan