• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spacing out, especially in the early morning.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
. I've noticed a problem that I seem to have is spacing out all the time, but especially the first four hours after I wake up on a school day. I fight against doing it, but it still happens. I'll be sitting doing class work or listening to a lecture, and all of the sudden, it's like I've jumped forward in time between five minutes and thirty minutes, and I have no recollection of the lost time. Out of curiosity, I've asked people around me exactly what I do during those periods of lost time, and every time I hear the same thing: I sit there with glassy eyes, but with an otherwise very puzzled expression. I won't respond to being called and I really don't do anything but sit and look like I'm thinking really hard.

. I'm trying to find a solution to this because it is beginning to get really annoying, especially since Spanish is my first class of the day and I have no prior experience with the language. In the past, I was able to get away with this happening because I already knew everything anyway, and if I got a test, I could ace it without really having paid attention or having studied.

. I originally thought perhaps that a lack of sleep was the culprit, but after I tested this by training myself to go to bed earlier, I found that an increase in sleep did not improve my situation. Next, I tested the hypothesis that I was under-stimulated. I asked more questions to stimulate my mind and get myself more involved in the discussion. Surprisingly, this also failed as I eventually trailed off into that strange state that seems to ambush me. My next idea is that perhaps it is not the amount of sleep I'm getting or my stimulation, but rather the time I must get up. This factor, however, is beyond my control.

Has anybody every experienced anything like this, and if so, what was your solution?
[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18664]Stansmith[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14676]Ism[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15371]Poimandres[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]
[MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION]

I also somewhat expect its a perceiver thing, so I am calling people I know for sure are perceivers.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
You say you don't respond to being called. Can you actually be roused from this state? Can someone "snap you out of it"?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha oh god that's no good magic. I do space out a lot but not for that long and someone calling my name would bring me back to earth. I'm a lil concerned that its some weird narcoleptic type deal or something.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah everyone spaces out from time to I space out closer towards the end of the day, but i do not lose time. So I'm concerned about the losing of time.because that's def not normal

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You say you don't respond to being called. Can you actually be roused from this state? Can someone "snap you out of it"?

Not readily, but I've found that if somebody shakes me or calls me by name close by at a very high volume, those instances have brought me back. I can recall plenty of times people said they've called me, but I didn't respond. It happens most frequently as well as most severely between 5:00 AM and 10:30 AM. At other times, I'll space out, but for not as long and I don't go into such a deep, trance-like state.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whoa, no I've never spaced out to that degree on a regular basis. How long and how frequently has this been happening?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wish I could add something useful but I have never experienced the like. The type of "spacing out" I typically do is when I am driving and thinking, and then suddenly I am at my destination. I echo @Lady X in that you may want to make sure it's not a sleep disorder, or a dissociative thing.

Also, do you eat anything in the morning? Possible that a little chemical metabolism jumpstart might help.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Not readily, but I've found that if somebody shakes me or calls me by name close by at a very high volume, those instances have brought me back. I can recall plenty of times people said they've called me, but I didn't respond. It happens most frequently as well as most severely between 5:00 AM and 10:30 AM. At other times, I'll space out, but for not as long and I don't go into such a deep, trance-like state.

I space out like that, except I'm always aware and responsive.

One of the first things to rule out is temporal lobe epilepsy. I worked as an EEG tech with patients who had severe epilepsy (and who were off there medications so that we could record a seizure on EEG and video), and I used to see symptoms exactly like or very similar to yours daily.

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/epilepsy_temporallobe

Do you have any of the risk factors?

From: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/epilepsy/DS00342/DSECTION=risk-factors
  1. Age. The onset of epilepsy is most common during early childhood and after age 60, but the condition can occur at any age.
  2. Family history. If you have a family history of epilepsy, you may be at an increased risk of developing a seizure disorder.
  3. Head injuries. Head injuries are responsible for some cases of epilepsy. You can reduce your risk by wearing a seat belt while riding in a car and by wearing a helmet while bicycling, skiing, riding a motorcycle or engaging in other activities with a high risk of head injury.
  4. Stroke and other vascular diseases. Stroke and other blood vessel (vascular) diseases can lead to brain damage that may trigger epilepsy. You can take a number of steps to reduce your risk of these diseases, including limiting your intake of alcohol and avoiding cigarettes, eating a healthy diet, and exercising regularly.
  5. Dementia. Dementia can increase the risk of epilepsy in older adults.
  6. Brain infections. Infections such as meningitis, which causes inflammation in your brain or spinal cord, can increase your risk.
  7. Seizures in childhood. High fevers in childhood can sometimes be associated with seizures. Children who have seizures due to high fevers generally won't develop epilepsy, although the risk is higher if they have a long seizure, other nervous system conditions or a family history of epilepsy.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

Well, I would get yourself medically evaluated. Have you ever gone to a Dr about this? Is it new or something that you've experienced for a long time?

Do you have ADD? Some people report spacing out like this, but usually remember that they are daydreaming ... http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-adhd/adhd-inattentive-type

You could read about Maladaptive Daydreaming: http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/ but again, those folks know they are daydreaming.

The losing time part makes it seem possibly like an absence seizure - but that's a much longer length of time than is typical for such a seizure. Do people say you do anything while you are glassy eyed? Like smacking your lips or moving some other part of your body? Could be a kind of complex partial seizure.

Not to get you worrying or anything, but the losing time aspect and not knowing what you did is the part that is most alarming.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, I would get yourself medically evaluated. Have you ever gone to a Dr about this? Is it new or something that you've experienced for a long time?

Do you have ADD? Some people report spacing out like this, but usually remember that they are daydreaming ... http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-adhd/adhd-inattentive-type

You could read about Maladaptive Daydreaming: http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/ but again, those folks know they are daydreaming.

The losing time part makes it seem possibly like an absence seizure - but that's a much longer length of time than is typical for such a seizure. Do people say you do anything while you are glassy eyed? Like smacking your lips or moving some other part of your body? Could be a kind of complex partial seizure.

Not to get you worrying or anything, but the losing time aspect and not knowing what you did is the part that is most alarming.

Yes, I was diagnosed with ADD when I was younger.

I daydream, as well.

I think what is happening is similar to daydreaming, but it really only happens a certain time of day and I can never remember what happened while I was gone. The only thing that I've heard people mention besides me sitting there is that I play in my hair.

I'll try not to think about seizures...

I can make myself physically ill with worry about things...

http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/
Reading this, yes, I do that, though I do the other thing in the mornings as well.
I'll pace back and forth thinking about my next artwork or sci-fi/fantasy novella, and occasionally I hurt myself. I'm nursing a sprained ankle from a recent episode.

Although, when I do it it's more that it happens, then I choose to draw it or write about it. People actually seem to like reading what I imagine...

http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/symptoms.htm
Reading this, this is spot on with what I've experienced from a young age...

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Whoa, no I've never spaced out to that degree on a regular basis. How long and how frequently has this been happening?

I'd say it's gotten worse with age and it typically happens on school days...
I have daydreams I get deeply involved in, too...but they are different.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wish I could add something useful but I have never experienced the like. The type of "spacing out" I typically do is when I am driving and thinking, and then suddenly I am at my destination. I echo @Lady X in that you may want to make sure it's not a sleep disorder, or a dissociative thing.

Also, do you eat anything in the morning? Possible that a little chemical metabolism jumpstart might help.

Very little...
I take a long time on school mornings to get ready...
If I do eat, it is something very small and quick.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
.. it really only happens a certain time of day and I can never remember what happened while I was gone. The only thing that I've heard people mention besides me sitting there is that I play in my hair.

Thanks for the extra detail. Since you don't remember what happens and these episodes seem distinct from your daydreaming times, I'll reiterate you should first talk to your Mom and/or Dad about your symptoms then go to the Dr. and tell him or her everything that you have told us here.

It may be nothing, and I'm just being "mom-ish" on you, but getting it checked out is the best option because then you'll know that all is well or what exactly you are facing.

They will likely want to do an EEG like [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] mentioned above (to look for/rule out epilepsy.) The EEG is a non-invasive test that involves wearing some special electrodes on your scalp for a bit while they record your brain activity.

Let us know when you make that appointment. :) In the meantime, make sure to get proper rest and sleep and eat well, taking good care of you.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the extra detail. Since you don't remember what happens and these episodes seem distinct from your daydreaming times, I'll reiterate you should first talk to your Mom and/or Dad about your symptoms then go to the Dr. and tell him or her everything that you have told us here.

It may be nothing, and I'm just being "mom-ish" on you here, but getting it checked out is the best option because then you'll know that all is well or what exactly you are facing.

They will likely want to do an EEG like [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] mentioned above (to look for/rule out epilepsy.) The EEG is a non-invasive test that involves wearing some special electrodes on your scalp for a bit while they record your brain activity.

Let us know when you make that appointment. :) In the meantime, make sure to get proper rest and sleep and eat well, taking good care of you.

Alright... I think I had one of those a long time ago when I was in about second grade. My mom was worried because I said strange "Off the wall" things and was bombarding her with "what-if" scenarios. I don't remember the exact results, but I remember a black lady coming back and asking if I had racing thoughts after the test was over...

Of, course, I told her yes...

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yes, this happens to me. You can avoid it happening by taking the time to observe things in your outer surroundings. For instance, when I am about to space out I look at the guy in front of me and look at his shirt. I say to myself quietly, "He is wearing a blue shirt with red trim. The shirt also has a red, flamboyant collar as well". In other words, you notice the details of objects and people in your outer surroundings and observe the details of these objects.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ that makes sense. Like I think I told you in private chat or somewhere in some thread. That when I used to have anxiety ( until I divorced him haha) but the thing that helped was to get out of my head and as a ne Dom you know that's not easy but same as the great one says I had to basically engage my se ( I guess that's what we're doing?) and look at things around me and try to block everything else out. Notice trees and the sound of the wind, the birds, squirrels, chipmunks... Watch the water etc. it's very hard to block out your mental chatter and it takes extreme focus but it seems to calm me down a whole lot.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, this happens to me. You can avoid it happening by taking the time to observe things in your outer surroundings. For instance, when I am about to space out I look at the guy in front of me and look at his shirt. I say to myself quietly, "He is wearing a blue shirt with red trim. The shirt also has a red, flamboyant collar as well". In other words, you notice the details of objects and people in your outer surroundings and observe the details of these objects.
I see...

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

So you also lose chunks of time, with no recollection that you were zoned out or daydreaming?

Mole

Permabanned
If you can rule out a medical condition, you are having an involuntary trance.

This may mean you have a facility for trance.

If this is so, you might think of having your facility trained.

I went to a class run by a Sports' Psychologist at the University, and he taught us how to safely enter and leave a trance at will.

So you may not have a problem, but an opportunity.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I used to space out a lot, and mornings are the worst for me being a night owl..

Try purchasing Vitamin C powder. Drink it as a complete vitamin source after a meal with protein.

Vitamin C's helped me to concentrate more, and I feel refreshed and re-energized.

As a powerful antioxidant, I also assume that not only does it's effects on balancing your internal pH system by alkalizing a naturally higher acidic environment, Vitamin C also helps restore cellular functions where ADHD, depression/mood disorders, among other psychological and physical impairments may play a factor in zoning out.

In capsule form, Vitamin C with bioflavinols make it a complete vitamin, too. Rose hips are a great source of vit. C. Brands like Solaray are exceptional!:):yay: