• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Films featuring mental health and illness

Lark

What do you think are some good films featuring mental health and illness that you've seen? I think that The Soloist is among the best that I've seen, and possibly also Fight Club, I've always thought of that as a movie about a guy who experiences some sort of psychotic break or psychosis like schizophrenia.

baccheion

I think A Beautiful Mind revolved around a brilliant Mathematician, John Nash, having Schizophrenia.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I recommend "The Machinist". It's pretty clear from the start that the main character is on the verge of a total mental break down, suffering from extreme insomnia and paranoia. The film revolves around slowly revealing what led him to this state.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Silver Linings Playbook

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
R

Riva

Silence of the Lambs

It's about an incarcerated flesh eating psychopathic psychiatrist who assists an FBI agent to capture a gay serial killer.

Ironically the flesh eating psychopathic psychiatrist is a anti hero of the movie.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Shine
The Hours
Pi
Girl, Interrupted
Shutter Island
Taxi Driver

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Girl, Interrupted is a good one.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Mommy Dearest

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I considered mentioning Donnie Darko but it's unclear whether he's mentally ill or if something supernatural/sci-fi-ish is actually going on.

Lark

I considered mentioning Donnie Darko but it's unclear whether he's mentally ill or if something supernatural/sci-fi-ish is actually going on.

Yeah, I always thought there was a greater possibility that he was prey to some freakish supernatural event than just being screwy but it does feature some therapy sessions, hypnotherapy etc. I guess, in a pretty cynical fashion though.

K-Pax is another excellent call, I read the books and loved the movie but I'm pretty sure that he is meant to be an alien as opposed to some mad guy, in both stories, on screen and in the book.

R

RDF

As Good As It Gets: Jack Nicholson & Helen Hunt

United States of Tara. Not a movie, but an award-winning black humor/drama TV series that lasted 3 years: Toni Collette stars as a wife and mother with Multiple Personality Disorder. The first season is kind of playful with the subject; seasons 2 and 3 turn considerably darker. The TV series was written by Diablo Cody (she also wrote the move “Juno”).

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Harvey. Unless pookas are real.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so