User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is ygolo an aspie? (please consider carefully, serious question)

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

2 15.38%
  • No.

11 84.62%
First 456

Thread: Am I an Aspie?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Just "hearing" your video, I would say that your even speech and emphasis on important words is different from the (single) person I know that has been diagnosed with "Aspergers".
    You may say that's a learned skill. But don't other people learn body language, too? I don't fully believe it's an innate skill.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Most people aren't really aware that they are learning body language, though. They don't need to learn it by rote. Whenever I hear of someone teaching themselves how to read facial expressions/body language by rote, it does kind of sing "spectrum" to me. Even if they are a gifted pretender- not every diabetic has foot problems, either.

I tend to think a lot of people are pretty mildly on the spectrum but either not diagnosable or a diagnosis wouldn't do them any good, though. I think it's a lot more common than people think- the rise in diagnosis is not a rise in incidence, but a rise in recognition (and an opening-up of the diagnostic criteria to let in more than Rain Man) IMO. So for someone like ygolo, I'd say yeah, you're probably on the very mild end of the spectrum, but you might not be diagnosed if you seek it, and it's debatable what good a diagnosis would do you at this point anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    There is something deeply meaningful about repetitive things.
    All that is needed to induce a trance is repetition.

And in a trance our critical mind is given a rest.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    All that is needed to induce a trance is repetition.

And in a trance our critical mind is given a rest.
    This got me deep, Mole. Well done.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    This got me deep, Mole. Well done.
    Yes, in a trance our reasoning mind is given a rest and our imaginative mind comes out to play.

And yes, there are all kinds of trances. And each particular trance puts part of our reasoning mind to sleep, and wakes up a part of our imaginative mind. And it is this unique combination that gives a unique trance.

And as we go deeper and deeper, we reach a trance plane where we can't tell the difference between imagination and reality, and what we see, feel and experience is real, as in transubstantiation.

And as we go deeper and deeper still, our self talk ceases, our imagination ceases and there we are, awake and alert, with everything remaining the same except no self talk and no imagination.

But on the way to inner silence there are all kinds of trances for all kinds of purposes that lend themselves to being designed by a trance designer.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't know you super well, but from what you've written in the past and here I can identify with most of the issues you describe. Whether you're on the spectrum or not is something only your psych can tell you, not some dude(ette)s from the internet. In case it helps, I'm pretty sure I'm not Aspie although I do have (non-hyperactive) ADD and some social anxiety/avoidant tendencies.

Also don't read too much (heh) into misreading people's interest. Everyone I know does that all the time. I've done it and so have my friends. I've had a friend (with well above average social skills) interpret my friendliness as romantic interest, even though I thought I was being clear. People are just complicated and hard to read - there are some clues sure, but they aren't a sure-fire way to read minds. Don't be too hard on yourself there.

edit: I scored 37 on that AQ test, FWIW. Still don't think I'm particularly autistic, just a bit awkward and simultaneously scatterbrained/control-freaky.
    -end of thread-