• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Group Think

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I find myself rarely yielding to the desires of others even when it causes considerable friction amongst people close to me. I've always been this way. I find that my more extroverted friends will go along with way, way more than I will. Does anyone else relate to this or feel they are particularly susceptible to or immune to group think? I ask because I think personality type is a big influence on this.

Lark

I find myself rarely yielding to the desires of others even when it causes considerable friction amongst people close to me. I've always been this way. I find that my more extroverted friends will go along with way, way more than I will. Does anyone else relate to this or feel they are particularly susceptible to or immune to group think? I ask because I think personality type is a big influence on this.

I dont think introversion and extroversion are key determinants of this kind of thing, I would need a lot of information on what you're considering groupthink, there's a lot of things which are labelled groupthink prejoratively, especially online were people think they are anonymous, which are fine in my book and underpinned by a lot of things other than being agreed upon by groups and/or the majority.

Conversely there's a lot of things which are often assumed to be obvious truths which I dont believe are anything of the sort, those things are very unlikely to be labelled groupthink prejoratively but people having second thoughts about them will be accused of engaging in groupthink.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I dont think introversion and extroversion are key determinants of this kind of thing, I would need a lot of information on what you're considering groupthink, there's a lot of things which are labelled groupthink prejoratively, especially online were people think they are anonymous, which are fine in my book and underpinned by a lot of things other than being agreed upon by groups and/or the majority.

Conversely there's a lot of things which are often assumed to be obvious truths which I dont believe are anything of the sort, those things are very unlikely to be labelled groupthink prejoratively but people having second thoughts about them will be accused of engaging in groupthink.
I wasn't hypothesizing about a link, I was just commenting on the fact that my most extroverted friends seem to be the ones who are most yielding to the viewpoints of others. From an evolutionary standpoint, I feel like that type of behavior can serve to keep people together who would otherwise split.

The title was meant to be broad. I'm not trying associate it with prior negative definitions. My intention was to use kind of a general term for addressing the concept of going along with what others think, say, or do for the purpose of getting along. I don't think that's a bad thing, btw. It's just dissimilar to me.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
No, I can't remember the last time I felt like I had to desire to just go along with a group just so no one would get angry. At the same time ...I wouldn't say I have been put in a situation in which I'd cause friction and get people riled up. It's possible I've done "group think" without knowing it, though. Do you have an example?

I can see how this would tie into enneagram, but I am not sure if you'd be able to match certain jungian or mbti types to such phenomenon. If you expected it align with personality types, what kinds of connections would you expect to see?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is hard for me to answer. On one hand, I can be pretty influenced by a collective mood. This has probably resulted in me getting swept up in things I might not have chosen. On the flip side, I can get really "I don't wanna. I don't belong here," in which case I withdraw, go off on my own, or do whatever I can to remove myself from the situation.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
This is hard for me to answer. On one hand, I can be pretty influenced by a collective mood. This has probably resulted in me getting swept up in things I might not have chosen. On the flip side, I can get really "I don't wanna. I don't belong here," in which case I withdraw, go off on my own, or do whatever I can to remove myself from the situation.
Thanks, nicolita! This was helpful!

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
No, I can't remember the last time I felt like I had to desire to just go along with a group just so no one would get angry. At the same time ...I wouldn't say I have been put in a situation in which I'd cause friction and get people riled up. It's possible I've done "group think" without knowing it, though. Do you have an example?

I can see how this would tie into enneagram, but I am not sure if you'd be able to match certain jungian or mbti types to such phenomenon. If you expected it align with personality types, what kinds of connections would you expect to see?
I'm glad to hear it! I frequently encounter situations where I feel like I have to go along with what other people want. Perhaps you have nicer people around you, lol.

Yeah, I can definitely see how enneagram would tie into it as well. The instinctual variants as well as the types.