User Tag List

Thread: Group Think

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Default Group Think

I find myself rarely yielding to the desires of others even when it causes considerable friction amongst people close to me. I've always been this way. I find that my more extroverted friends will go along with way, way more than I will. Does anyone else relate to this or feel they are particularly susceptible to or immune to group think? I ask because I think personality type is a big influence on this.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    I find myself rarely yielding to the desires of others even when it causes considerable friction amongst people close to me. I've always been this way. I find that my more extroverted friends will go along with way, way more than I will. Does anyone else relate to this or feel they are particularly susceptible to or immune to group think? I ask because I think personality type is a big influence on this.
    I dont think introversion and extroversion are key determinants of this kind of thing, I would need a lot of information on what you're considering groupthink, there's a lot of things which are labelled groupthink prejoratively, especially online were people think they are anonymous, which are fine in my book and underpinned by a lot of things other than being agreed upon by groups and/or the majority.

Conversely there's a lot of things which are often assumed to be obvious truths which I dont believe are anything of the sort, those things are very unlikely to be labelled groupthink prejoratively but people having second thoughts about them will be accused of engaging in groupthink.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think introversion and extroversion are key determinants of this kind of thing, I would need a lot of information on what you're considering groupthink, there's a lot of things which are labelled groupthink prejoratively, especially online were people think they are anonymous, which are fine in my book and underpinned by a lot of things other than being agreed upon by groups and/or the majority.

Conversely there's a lot of things which are often assumed to be obvious truths which I dont believe are anything of the sort, those things are very unlikely to be labelled groupthink prejoratively but people having second thoughts about them will be accused of engaging in groupthink.
    I wasn't hypothesizing about a link, I was just commenting on the fact that my most extroverted friends seem to be the ones who are most yielding to the viewpoints of others. From an evolutionary standpoint, I feel like that type of behavior can serve to keep people together who would otherwise split.

The title was meant to be broad. I'm not trying associate it with prior negative definitions. My intention was to use kind of a general term for addressing the concept of going along with what others think, say, or do for the purpose of getting along. I don't think that's a bad thing, btw. It's just dissimilar to me.

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Enneagram
    N/A

No, I can't remember the last time I felt like I had to desire to just go along with a group just so no one would get angry. At the same time ...I wouldn't say I have been put in a situation in which I'd cause friction and get people riled up. It's possible I've done "group think" without knowing it, though. Do you have an example?

I can see how this would tie into enneagram, but I am not sure if you'd be able to match certain jungian or mbti types to such phenomenon. If you expected it align with personality types, what kinds of connections would you expect to see?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

This is hard for me to answer. On one hand, I can be pretty influenced by a collective mood. This has probably resulted in me getting swept up in things I might not have chosen. On the flip side, I can get really "I don't wanna. I don't belong here," in which case I withdraw, go off on my own, or do whatever I can to remove myself from the situation.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    This is hard for me to answer. On one hand, I can be pretty influenced by a collective mood. This has probably resulted in me getting swept up in things I might not have chosen. On the flip side, I can get really "I don't wanna. I don't belong here," in which case I withdraw, go off on my own, or do whatever I can to remove myself from the situation.
    Thanks, nicolita! This was helpful!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtlost View Post
    No, I can't remember the last time I felt like I had to desire to just go along with a group just so no one would get angry. At the same time ...I wouldn't say I have been put in a situation in which I'd cause friction and get people riled up. It's possible I've done "group think" without knowing it, though. Do you have an example?

I can see how this would tie into enneagram, but I am not sure if you'd be able to match certain jungian or mbti types to such phenomenon. If you expected it align with personality types, what kinds of connections would you expect to see?
    I'm glad to hear it! I frequently encounter situations where I feel like I have to go along with what other people want. Perhaps you have nicer people around you, lol.

Yeah, I can definitely see how enneagram would tie into it as well. The instinctual variants as well as the types.