User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facebook helps me connect with others in a meaningful way

17 50.00%
  • Facebook hinders me from connect with others in a meaningful way

6 17.65%
  • Facebook does not seem to help or hinder my efforts to connect with others in a meaningful way

11 32.35%
123 Last

Default Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

On the surface, Facebook provides an invaluable resource for fulfilling the basic human need for social connection. Rather than enhancing well-being, however, these findings suggest that Facebook may undermine it.
    from: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0069841

"Abstract: Over 500 million people interact daily with Facebook. Yet, whether Facebook use influences subjective well-being over time is unknown. We addressed this issue using experience-sampling, the most reliable method for measuring in-vivo behavior and psychological experience. We text-messaged people five times per day for two-weeks to examine how Facebook use influences the two components of subjective well-being: how people feel moment-to-moment and how satisfied they are with their lives. Our results indicate that Facebook use predicts negative shifts on both of these variables over time. The more people used Facebook at one time point, the worse they felt the next time we text-messaged them; the more they used Facebook over two-weeks, the more their life satisfaction levels declined over time. Interacting with other people “directly” did not predict these negative outcomes. They were also not moderated by the size of people's Facebook networks, their perceived supportiveness, motivation for using Facebook, gender, loneliness, self-esteem, or depression. On the surface, Facebook provides an invaluable resource for fulfilling the basic human need for social connection. Rather than enhancing well-being, however, these findings suggest that Facebook may undermine it."

Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Facebook has had a net positive effect for me- I can stay connected with people I care about but who live too far away to see regularly. Also, because of Facebook, people can know that I love them even though I don't want to see them or talk to them all the damn time.

Maybe it's partly because I don't friend people who do that humblebrag thing. And maybe it's because it's not my only means of connection- it's a way to maintain connection when face-to-face isn't possible, and also a way to arrange face-to-face connections with people I care about.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, I get a lot of Likes on my timeline/wall posts, so I suppose that's something.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Facebook has had a net positive effect for me- I can stay connected with people I care about but who live too far away to see regularly. Also, because of Facebook, people can know that I love them even though I don't want to see them or talk to them all the damn time.

Maybe it's partly because I don't friend people who do that humblebrag thing. And maybe it's because it's not my only means of connection- it's a way to maintain connection when face-to-face isn't possible, and also a way to arrange face-to-face connections with people I care about.
    This.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Hinders. It's failbook.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?
    I think our question is, does Typology Central undermine our well-being?

And then the interesting question, how does Typology Central undermine our well-being.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I think our question is, does Typology Central undermine our well-being?

And then the interesting question, how does Typology Central undermine our well-being.
    After 12,000+ posts, has your well-being been undermined? Confess your sins, my son.
    As for Facebook, someone ought to take a flamethrower to it.

I don't know about meaningful contact, prolly not. Dunno. But facebook is good in that I have reconnected with old friends. It also gives me a bit of Japanese reading and writing study. And an outlet for some photo creativity and general mucking around creativity. The only downside to facebook is Jag is not my friend on there. If only, one day...

MBTI
    INtP

I went ahead and voted "hinders"... but it's complicated. It's more that seeing Facebook makes me feel worse about myself. I've had an account since 2009, but until very recently had gone years without ever logging in. In general, I dislike, and certainly distrust it. Not the people on it, but the organization itself. I don't like posting things un-anonymously for the world (or even "friends" -- the vast majority of my "friends" are "people I sorta knew in high school but never really talked to much").

I went there a month or so ago to look for pictures that a friend took at a real-life get-together, and wound up reading whatever it is they call my home page these days (the ones with posts from "friends"). It was basically an exercise in "see how much more awesome these people's lives are than mine" and "see how my old high school classmates vehemently disagree with my politics". Rather depressing, actually. Well, that and seeing who likes to play Facebook games. The most saddening aspect of it is seeing how people I've tried and failed to reconnect with over the years are active there with their other friends.

I just can't make myself want to participate in that sort of public, infinitely searchable, archived-for-as-long-as-my-data-can-have-profit-extracted-from-it exposure, but it seems expected if one actually wants to use it as a platform to connect with people.

Hence... the feeling worse about it. But I still pop on to read when I get particularly bored. Shouldn't, but I do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The key word in the poll is "meaningful".

It does help me to keep up with what's going on in other's lives but there isn't a lot of depth there. Still, it helps to facilitate a continued connection even if it's pretty superficial.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639