• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

• Facebook helps me connect with others in a meaningful way

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Facebook hinders me from connect with others in a meaningful way

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Facebook does not seem to help or hinder my efforts to connect with others in a meaningful way

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
i think it hinders it but it's my fault not facebooks. i feel like i don't bother to call people to catch up like i would otherwise but that's shit. i should anyway.

plus some people annoy the shit out of me on facebook.
Something tells me I'd be one of the ones annoying you on Facebook. ;)

Getting less helpful because I'm not in college anymore.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Something tells me I'd be one of the ones annoying you on Facebook. ;)

Getting less helpful because I'm not in college anymore.

haha whaaat? why's that?!

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
haha whaaat? why's that?!
lol, idk, I'm confused about Facebook etiquette! I know it annoys people when you post good news too often because people don't want to perceive others rubbing success in their faces...especially my friends who are mostly in their twenties and are in that life stage where they are very unsure of themselves and if they are on the path to success. But I also know people get annoyed by hearing bad news/small things on Facebook. Like "Damn, I ran out of peanut butter. #FirstWorldProblems." So, I get confused and tend to post a mixture of good news and celebratory statuses when my sports teams win...and worry a little about whether I'm annoying people or not.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha aww i'm sure you're not annoying.

the people that came to mind is my one infp vegan friend who posts pics of all these awesomely healthy things she's eating all the time and how horrible it is to eat meat...torture videos etc
and a photographer friend who hounds people constantly to book sessions with her...or other people selling things...all the time

gromit

likes this
lol, idk, I'm confused about Facebook etiquette! I know it annoys people when you post good news too often because people don't want to perceive others rubbing success in their faces...especially my friends who are mostly in their twenties and are in that life stage where they are very unsure of themselves and if they are on the path to success. But I also know people get annoyed by hearing bad news/small things on Facebook. Like "Damn, I ran out of peanut butter. #FirstWorldProblems." So, I get confused and tend to post a mixture of good news and celebratory statuses when my sports teams win...and worry a little about whether I'm annoying people or not.

Yeah I read some article someone posted and was really surprised and a little bummed that people don't like when their FB friends post too much good stuff. It always makes me glad to hear about good things happening to other people.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rather than enhancing well-being, however, these findings suggest that Facebook may undermine it.
They needed a study to tell them that?
Let's outsource our social lives to a zitty, obnoxious INTJ with plans for world domination. What could possibly go wrong?
I am ideologically opposed to Fuckbook and refuse to use it, however, it still handicaps me by monopolising access to information that ought to be in the public domain, and leasing it back for the price of one's soul.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am ideologically opposed to Fuckbook and refuse to use it, however, it still handicaps me by monopolising access to information that ought to be in the public domain, and leasing it back for the price of one's soul.
Absolutely. But I keep saying "no" nonetheless.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Yeah I read some article someone posted and was really surprised and a little bummed that people don't like when their FB friends post too much good stuff. It always makes me glad to hear about good things happening to other people.
I completely agree with you!!!

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
haha aww i'm sure you're not annoying.

the people that came to mind is my one infp vegan friend who posts pics of all these awesomely healthy things she's eating all the time and how horrible it is to eat meat...torture videos etc
and a photographer friend who hounds people constantly to book sessions with her...or other people selling things...all the time
lol, I have a few married friends who post things like "Look at this spaghetti my husband made me!!! Best husband EVER." Or "My wife made me dessert even though she has a cold. I'm the luckiest guy on Earth." Hahaha, it's pretty funny.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It helps.

It's smoother than e-mailing and more entertaining than instant messaging. I don't usually feel like logging on Skype to talk to whoever happens to be online.

Plus, I get to detect common interests (or lack thereof) pretty quickly.

gromit

likes this
lol, I have a few married friends who post things like "Look at this spaghetti my husband made me!!! Best husband EVER." Or "My wife made me dessert even though she has a cold. I'm the luckiest guy on Earth." Hahaha, it's pretty funny.

I think that's cute/sweet. I guess if that was the ONLY thing they ever posted it would be different.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that's cute/sweet. I guess if that was the ONLY thing they ever posted it would be different.
See, this kind of stuff is just informational clutter, not to mention TMI in its own way. There is already an excess of information out there that is actually useful and interesting to me. I don't need to spend time and attention on this. Facebook encourages people to litter their pages with this sort of daily minutiae, rather than concisely expressing meaningful content in a focused way.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Well, I wouldn't say it's the only thing they EVER post but it is 80% of what they post. Hmm, I don't think it's that sweet. I think it's annoying when the majority of someone's posts are about their SO - maybe I'm not a true romantic?

I do looove blogs like "A Cup of Jo," though, where the author shares those kinds of sentiments amongst myriad other concerns, so it seems more balanced.

To each his own, though, of course! This is just my personal preference.

gromit

likes this
Well, I wouldn't say it's the only thing they EVER post but it is 80% of what they post. Hmm, I don't think it's that sweet. I think it's annoying when the majority of someone's posts are about their SO - maybe I'm not a true romantic?

I do looove blogs like "A Cup of Jo," though, where the author shares those kinds of sentiments amongst myriad other concerns, so it seems more balanced.

:ack!:

Yeah I agree, too much lovey-dovey talk can be a little sickening (good thing there are filters for your newsfeed in FB). But the occasional expression of gratitude or happiness about a relationship is something I can appreciate.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah I agree, too much lovey-dovey talk can be a little sickening (good thing there are filters for your newsfeed in FB). But the occasional expression of gratitude or happiness about a relationship is something I can appreciate.

yeah to be totally honest it sickens me. i mean the occasional sweetness about someone you love is cool...but the over doing of sappiness turns my stomach. and i feel just awful saying that out loud because some people i truly love do that....i just reaaaaly don't like big sappy emotional displays being announced for everyone to read.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If someone annoys you, you can Hide their Feed. Or you can block them.

A

Anew Leaf

:laugh:

I just had to hide the feed of a friend of mine who just got his first girlfriend ever and 90% of their mutual posts are:

"OMG HAPPY 20th WEEK ANNIVERSARY HONEY!!!!!"

I am always wondering who they are trying to convince with this chicanery... the "audience" or themselves. Either way, I'm not interested.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
:laugh:

I just had to hide the feed of a friend of mine who just got his first girlfriend ever and 90% of their mutual posts are:

"OMG HAPPY 20th WEEK ANNIVERSARY HONEY!!!!!"

I am always wondering who they are trying to convince with this chicanery... the "audience" or themselves. Either way, I'm not interested.

The cynical bastard in me loves those types, the ones that go public with just how completely head-over-heels they are in love with this person, and how their life has a sense of value now, especially when they include tons of pictures of them and said person.

I just sit back, like so:

Silent. Observing. Waiting. For that inevitable moment when that person will reach in, yank out their heart and soul, and squeezes it in their hands, unapologetically, until all their hope and dreams ooze out of the side like a melting Marshmallow Moon Pie.

It's even better in retrospect when you at their photos chronologically, and you can literally see the contempt and disgust slowing building in their eyes overtime, reeking like a bad odor in their body language.