User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facebook helps me connect with others in a meaningful way

17 50.00%
  • Facebook hinders me from connect with others in a meaningful way

6 17.65%
  • Facebook does not seem to help or hinder my efforts to connect with others in a meaningful way

11 32.35%
First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It helps.

It's smoother than e-mailing and more entertaining than instant messaging. I don't usually feel like logging on Skype to talk to whoever happens to be online.

Plus, I get to detect common interests (or lack thereof) pretty quickly.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    lol, I have a few married friends who post things like "Look at this spaghetti my husband made me!!! Best husband EVER." Or "My wife made me dessert even though she has a cold. I'm the luckiest guy on Earth." Hahaha, it's pretty funny.
    I think that's cute/sweet. I guess if that was the ONLY thing they ever posted it would be different.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I think that's cute/sweet. I guess if that was the ONLY thing they ever posted it would be different.
    See, this kind of stuff is just informational clutter, not to mention TMI in its own way. There is already an excess of information out there that is actually useful and interesting to me. I don't need to spend time and attention on this. Facebook encourages people to litter their pages with this sort of daily minutiae, rather than concisely expressing meaningful content in a focused way.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Well, I wouldn't say it's the only thing they EVER post but it is 80% of what they post. Hmm, I don't think it's that sweet. I think it's annoying when the majority of someone's posts are about their SO - maybe I'm not a true romantic?

I do looove blogs like "A Cup of Jo," though, where the author shares those kinds of sentiments amongst myriad other concerns, so it seems more balanced.

To each his own, though, of course! This is just my personal preference.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Well, I wouldn't say it's the only thing they EVER post but it is 80% of what they post. Hmm, I don't think it's that sweet. I think it's annoying when the majority of someone's posts are about their SO - maybe I'm not a true romantic?

I do looove blogs like "A Cup of Jo," though, where the author shares those kinds of sentiments amongst myriad other concerns, so it seems more balanced.

Yeah I agree, too much lovey-dovey talk can be a little sickening (good thing there are filters for your newsfeed in FB). But the occasional expression of gratitude or happiness about a relationship is something I can appreciate.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Yeah I agree, too much lovey-dovey talk can be a little sickening (good thing there are filters for your newsfeed in FB). But the occasional expression of gratitude or happiness about a relationship is something I can appreciate.
    yeah to be totally honest it sickens me. i mean the occasional sweetness about someone you love is cool...but the over doing of sappiness turns my stomach. and i feel just awful saying that out loud because some people i truly love do that....i just reaaaaly don't like big sappy emotional displays being announced for everyone to read.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

If someone annoys you, you can Hide their Feed. Or you can block them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    If someone annoys you, you can Hide their Feed. Or you can block them.
    Or... unfriend...

Anew Leaf

I just had to hide the feed of a friend of mine who just got his first girlfriend ever and 90% of their mutual posts are:

"OMG HAPPY 20th WEEK ANNIVERSARY HONEY!!!!!"

I am always wondering who they are trying to convince with this chicanery... the "audience" or themselves. Either way, I'm not interested.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post

I just had to hide the feed of a friend of mine who just got his first girlfriend ever and 90% of their mutual posts are:

"OMG HAPPY 20th WEEK ANNIVERSARY HONEY!!!!!"

I am always wondering who they are trying to convince with this chicanery... the "audience" or themselves. Either way, I'm not interested.
    The cynical bastard in me loves those types, the ones that go public with just how completely head-over-heels they are in love with this person, and how their life has a sense of value now, especially when they include tons of pictures of them and said person.

I just sit back, like so:

Silent. Observing. Waiting. For that inevitable moment when that person will reach in, yank out their heart and soul, and squeezes it in their hands, unapologetically, until all their hope and dreams ooze out of the side like a melting Marshmallow Moon Pie.

It's even better in retrospect when you at their photos chronologically, and you can literally see the contempt and disgust slowing building in their eyes overtime, reeking like a bad odor in their body language.