User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facebook helps me connect with others in a meaningful way

17 50.00%
  • Facebook hinders me from connect with others in a meaningful way

6 17.65%
  • Facebook does not seem to help or hinder my efforts to connect with others in a meaningful way

11 32.35%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I pretty much assume there isn't any privacy for anything I do online. If somebody wants the information badly enough, they will get it.
    So do I. That's why I don't participate. Yes, if someone wants it badly enough, they will get it. If someone wants to rob my house badly enough, they will get in there, too, but I still lock my door when I leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    2. FB Groups are an infinitely better version of 90s Listservs. My colleagues are constantly posting FYIs of varying importance that I need to keep up with to varying degrees. FB notifies me, but doesn't bombard me with data if I don't want to click to get it at that moment, so I can focus on my deep work without missing the info like I might otherwise in a buried email inbox. FB Groups curate passive streams of information in a far more readable and useful format than email listservs (and even RSS). It does it in a way that respects my time and meaningfully connects me to information that I need.
    This is one of the more worthwhile uses for Facebook I have seen, but it seems much more professional in nature than personal, almost more like LinkedIn. Facebook has also been useful in helping troops deployed overseas stay in touch with family, but that is a rather specialized function.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Facebook has helped me connect with a couple of relatives who were, to all intents and purposes, long lost. It also helps me keep in touch with some distant relatives and a smattering of longer distance friends. Other uses are social meet up planning... (birthdays/celebrations etc... much easier than sending out paper invites and waiting for postal replies though they are more charming), and *yawn* networking.

It also has it's downsides, though I rarely make any announcements/wall posts I sometimes feel some kind of pressure for social niceties...that it is expected for me to respond to other's public posts and have to faff around with privacy settings or delete posts others have put on my wall. The wanking 'liking' aspect really pisses me off too. I do not like to like things... it feels bland and pathetic... i do though... i have been assimilated... to a lesser degree than most yet still assimilated. I regularly cull my friends list. I recently managed to delete approx 150 'friends' and left myself with approx 50... it felt like a weight had been lifted, I prefer not to have too many aquaintances...where possible.

Facebook lacks sincerity and dignity but I do sometimes use it.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Facebook lacks sincerity
    Mmm, very succinct yet profound.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I love Facebook. I don't use my given name for most of my Facebook time, granted, but plenty of people know it anyway, and I'm ok with that. I interact in Facebook groups, mostly, and belong to about a dozen of them. I enjoy being able to talk about different specific topics with people from all over the world. And yeah, it's nice to see my extended family, who are all over the US, and most of whom I haven't seen since I was a child. I really don't get the privacy concerns. Track my shit, go ahead. Give me advertisements about more and more stuff I'm interested in. Keep tabs on where I shop. Knock yourself out. Because ... then what? The Man knows I buy shoes at Zappos?

garbage

Yeah, +4 to the statement that Facebook is good for groups. You can participate in those groups without actually having any personal information on your profile, too, which is a huge plus.

Also, Facebook is currently my 'RSS manager,' or what have you. 'Liking' *shudder* pages such as 'Lifehacker' puts their new articles on my radar. That way, I get updated on the not-boring people in my life and on updates to pages I care about in the same place, without having to leak too much information out there on the tubes.

(If we're all counting, that means that the NSA can only squeeze out a name, email address, a list of those I've marked as 'friends' [diluted by the fact that I hardly know many of them and don't associate with them anyway, so it's almost noise], the groups I belong to, and the pages I 'like' for RSS purposes. Not too privacy-bad..)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is one of the more worthwhile uses for Facebook I have seen, but it seems much more professional in nature than personal, almost more like LinkedIn.
    Yes. I'd much prefer if it wasn't tied to Facebook and was available in a purely professional context like LinkedIn. It's unfortunate that FB is the only provider with such high-density usefuless.

I really value my own privacy, but it does save me probably 10 hrs/wk of independently looking for this information. So I consider it a trade: 10 hours of work-time-turned-personal/social time is a long-term sanity saver. My sanity is the only thing I value more than my privacy!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    (If we're all counting, that means that the NSA can only squeeze out a name, email address, a list of those I've marked as 'friends' [diluted by the fact that I hardly know many of them and don't associate with them anyway, so it's almost noise], the groups I belong to, and the pages I 'like' for RSS purposes. Not too privacy-bad..)
    I can see where knowing this could allow others to cause trouble for you. Just like the idea of allowing the government to force libraries to give up lists of the books a patron has checked out. Librarians as a group strongly objected to this, and many libraries simply don't maintain the records now, once a book has been returned.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I can see where knowing this could allow others to cause trouble for you. Just like the idea of allowing the government to force libraries to give up lists of the books a patron has checked out. Librarians as a group strongly objected to this, and many libraries simply don't maintain the records now, once a book has been returned.
    I'm relieved when organizations simply don't collect certain data/records. Librarians are my heroes!

I agree with you that groups and pages could definitely raise flags. Even the friends list could send up some red flags, if I'm friends with the wrong people.

Soo.. I probably shouldn't join a Crips Facebook group, 'like' the official Al-Qaeda Facebook page, add Kim Jong-Un as a friend, or allow myself to be tagged in photos of me shooting meth or snorting coke. .. at bare minimum.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Soo.. I probably shouldn't join a Crips Facebook group, 'like' the official Al-Qaeda Facebook page, add Kim Jong-Un as a friend, or allow myself to be tagged in photos of me shooting meth or snorting coke. .. at bare minimum.
    It needn't be that blatant. EJCC could get in trouble for frequenting websites on Arabic and Islamic studies, related to her academic work. There are folks here involved in the BDSM culture, which is frowned upon in certain circles. I visit pagan websites, which combined with some other interests might pique the curiosity of professional busybodies. To us all this may seem quite innocuous, but in the wrong hands such information can be used to make people's lives difficult. As Fantine put it in Les Miserables:

Is there anyone here
    Who can swear before God
    She has nothing to fear?
    She has nothing to hide?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think it hinders it but it's my fault not facebooks. i feel like i don't bother to call people to catch up like i would otherwise but that's shit. i should anyway.

plus some people annoy the shit out of me on facebook.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison