User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facebook helps me connect with others in a meaningful way

17 50.00%
  • Facebook hinders me from connect with others in a meaningful way

6 17.65%
  • Facebook does not seem to help or hinder my efforts to connect with others in a meaningful way

11 32.35%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I found my room mate because of my college's secret Facebook group. We both realized we were what we wanted in each other as room mates and it was better to request each other since we get along rather than risk being paired up with someone completely different from what we want. Because of that, I got his phone number and now we frequently text about who's getting what and such rather than us getting two of something we only need one of. For that, I am glad Facebook was around for that.

It's also an easy way to organize fun ways to spend time my friends. I wouldn't call it connecting in a "meaningful" way but it was certainly useful. I think the group message thing is pretty helpful since not everyone gets group texts on their cell phones.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't know about meaningful, but considering that my interaction would be next to nil without it, it probably helps more than hinders. My in-laws would probably never get pics of the kids if it wasn't for facebook.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't know about meaningful, but considering that my interaction would be next to nil without it, it probably helps more than hinders. My in-laws would probably never get pics of the kids if it wasn't for facebook.
    Can you make sure that no one else has access to these photos? Is it even important to you to limit access?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Moreover, I have virtually nothing personal on my profile, as those who should know that information already know it.
    Also, I've had people become outright offended that I'm missing information that would link them to me on my profile. That further separates wheat from chaff.

My most egregious offense was that I didn't sign up for some app that allowed me to list my best friends, or something. Odd, because the victim wouldn't have made it into that list because they're the type of person who takes offense at things like that.

~Carin' 'bout Facebook~

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Helps, tremendously. There's a bunch of people I'd never see again if not for facebook, and it makes it way easier to organize social events. Easier = more likely to happen, at least for me. It could theoretically be done by email, but facebook is much more convenient to use for a lot of things.

Also I'd never remember anyone's birthday without it.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Can you make sure that no one else has access to these photos? Is it even important to you to limit access?
    It's not really important to me to limit access. The ages my kids are, they and their friends are posting pics of themselves on facebook anyway. When they were little, I was funnier about it, though. Like, every year the elementary school kept sending home a form asking for permission to publish my kids' names and photos online, which I always thought was kind of crazy, especially since they usually also included where the kids went to school on those things. I never signed those. But the kids are big enough not to get into the car with someone they don't know and they generally use the buddy system when not at home.

I pretty much assume there isn't any privacy for anything I do online. If somebody wants the information badly enough, they will get it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Tremendously helps.

1. I'm an expat, so I stay connected to people at home.

2. FB Groups are an infinitely better version of 90s Listservs. My colleagues are constantly posting FYIs of varying importance that I need to keep up with to varying degrees. FB notifies me, but doesn't bombard me with data if I don't want to click to get it at that moment, so I can focus on my deep work without missing the info like I might otherwise in a buried email inbox. FB Groups curate passive streams of information in a far more readable and useful format than email listservs (and even RSS). It does it in a way that respects my time and meaningfully connects me to information that I need.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    2. FB Groups are an infinitely better version of 90s Listservs. My colleagues are constantly posting FYIs of varying importance that I need to keep up with to varying degrees. FB notifies me, but doesn't bombard me with data if I don't want to click to get it at that moment, so I can focus on my deep work without missing the info like I might otherwise in a buried email inbox. FB Groups curate passive streams of information in a far more readable and useful format than email listservs (and even RSS). It does it in a way that respects my time and meaningfully connects me to information that I need.
    Great point.

Yeah, the linear nature of the listserves (and information glut) was a real headache to wade through back in the early 90's.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    After 12,000+ posts, has your well-being been undermined? Confess your sins, my son.
    As for Facebook, someone ought to take a flamethrower to it.
    Friend request received.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Friend request received.
    What are you talking about?