User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facebook helps me connect with others in a meaningful way

17 50.00%
  • Facebook hinders me from connect with others in a meaningful way

6 17.65%
  • Facebook does not seem to help or hinder my efforts to connect with others in a meaningful way

11 32.35%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I'm surprised I need to enumerate the privacy issues with Facebook, when they have been the subject of so much public discourse in the past couple of years. Just the fact that privacy settings keep changing is a cause for concern. It almost seems that Facebook is hoping to wear down their users, hoping they will slip up the next time they must update them, and forget to close some door, letting information leak out.

Facebook tracks what people shop for and buy, and sucks in personal information through its apps and games. Then there is the geolocation aspect for mobile users. Yes, you can shut these off for yourself, but can still be compromised through "friends" who have not. We really don't know what Facebook does with all the information posted, even the private messages. We don't even know if they adhere to their own policies (if I recall, there was a significant episode a year or two ago when they were caught not doing so). Users must simply trust that they so do.

Then there is always the possibility of government snooping, either with court permission, or without. Finally, I hear more and more about employers using information on Facebook in evaluating employees or job applicants. This isn't limited to looking at someone's public profile, which more people at least are limiting; they sometimes require people to log into their accounts and let them snoop at everything.

The real risk is that people will get information about me that I did not choose for them to have, and by extension that they will use it in ways that are not in my best interests. The bottom line is that the only way to make sure information is protected is not to put it out there.

People who use Facebook either don't care about all of this, or consider that the risks are worth the benefit. Whether due to being SO last or some other reason, @EJCC is correct in that I see little benefit. My electronic communication is targeted and focused. I prefer to contact friends and associates individually, or in small situational groups (e.g. invitees to a certain event, or participants in a certain activity) for which I can make distribution lists. I have no intrest in blanket sharing of the minutiae of my day (or reading the same from others), and the more important pieces of information are for specific people only.
    There are some things to be aware of. Generally you share what you want. I always say no to anything that asks for permission to access my stuff. I don't play games. I don't allow people to tag me.

You should try it. Just dabble a bit - and you'll see it isn't quite as bad as you think.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Permabanned

Not really.

It's why I deleted it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Finally, I hear more and more about employers using information on Facebook in evaluating employees or job applicants. This isn't limited to looking at someone's public profile, which more people at least are limiting; they sometimes require people to log into their accounts and let them snoop at everything.

The real risk is that people will get information about me that I did not choose for them to have, and by extension that they will use it in ways that are not in my best interests. The bottom line is that the only way to make sure information is protected is not to put it out there.
    Yes. I was a member of the PR department of my sorority in college, and one duty of my office was to keep an eye out on people's Facebook profiles. It may seem intrusive and snobbish, but I thought in truth it was a fair reality check. No one really needs photos of themselves, underage, guzzling beer on Facebook.

Myself, I use Facebook frequently, but there's nothing I do on there that the world couldn't see. If someone really wants to go through all 500 something of my photos, or even my private messages, they can go for it. I generally assume that everywhere on the internet.

My only real fear/abhorrence would be if someone linked my anonymous accounts (like this one) to my personal accounts (like Facebook). I enjoy my relative anonymity here.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    There are some things to be aware of. Generally you share what you want. I always say no to anything that asks for permission to access my stuff. I don't play games. I don't allow people to tag me.

You should try it. Just dabble a bit - and you'll see it isn't quite as bad as you think.
    +1
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post

If there were something that Facebook would allow me to do that I cannot do now, or cannot do as well now, I would consider it. Until then, it is a clear cost/benefit fail.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    yupp

I like facebook, I like reading people's thoughts, articles they link, and its my way of keeping up with what people are interested in. which piques my curiosity. now sometimes i roll my eyes at some posts. but i do that here as well. also you do get what you put into and the people you friend
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

garbage

Neither. I'm not going to meet new people via Facebook, so everyone I'm 'friends' with are those I already know on some level or through some other means. Thus, I already know whether we can establish meaningful relationships with one another or not.

I'm not exactly interested in learning little tidbits about acquaintances, especially those who post only tidbits, so many of my 'friends' are hidden from my feed. As a rule, I don't bother to remove people; and sometimes I have questions that even they can help answer from time to time. Moreover, I have virtually nothing personal on my profile, as those who should know that information already know it.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I only put into it what I want others to get out of it.

Usually entails stupid random thoughts that spring up in my mind or sharing good music I'm vibing to.
    I like this technique.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Absolutely helps.

In fact, I think I am at the point where I check FB even before I check regular e-mail. Some of the ways I can think of (right off hand) that it helps connect:

Work- I am friends with the people I need to communicate with (I know, I know...don't do that!), some of them don't like phoning, some don't like emailing, some don't text. Facebook seems to be a mutual agreement.

Friends- I have a lot of friends who live not far away but far enough that frequent visits, due to family, work, commitments, etc., are not possible/convenient.

I created a page for the ship I was on in the Navy and have found many people that I WANTED to find. There's about 300 in the group and while I don't know all or most of them the communication is fun as we can compare different eras.

I play in a dart league and the FB group for it is a much more efficient way for everyone to talk as opposed to the officials calling area reps who in turn have to call team captains who in turn have to call team members and so on.

Like other people have said, you get out of it what you put into it. I also think that some are just going on reputation. I have far, far, far more friends who are "pity-party, feel sorry for me" types than "look how awesome my life is" types. Maybe that's just my friend group but I don't believe I have found the only people who do that. The only time things really piss me off is during Political Seasons. I have found that people can be vile, disgusting human beings with some of the stuff they post. The worst part is that most of what they "say" is just shared shit that someone else created. Whenever I asked them what they would do or how they would change things they will ignore me at best, hurl around insults at worst, without ever giving an answer from their own mind.

As far as the privacy issues go, I have no idea what my settings are even set to. I don't care either. There is nothing I would post on there that I wouldn't say to anyone in person. As a matter of fact, I think that is why I prefer Facebook to most other online mediums.....because it is ME !
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Meaningful to me would be in person.