User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Facebook help or hinder your effort to connect with others in a meaningful way?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facebook helps me connect with others in a meaningful way

17 50.00%
  • Facebook hinders me from connect with others in a meaningful way

6 17.65%
  • Facebook does not seem to help or hinder my efforts to connect with others in a meaningful way

11 32.35%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What's wrong with email?
    - Harder to include others
    - Would clutter my already-cluttered inbox
    - Wouldn't be invited to anything
    - Takes more mental energy; email etiquette is much more formal than Facebook in my experience
    - Facebook has profiles you can go off of; places where you can quickly and easily see how people interact with others, what their interests are, what their priorities are, how they use Facebook. Email starts you from scratch and makes for LOTS of small talk to get the exact same information

The first reason is the main one; even when you do mass emailing, it feels much more individualized. When used well, Facebook wall conversations/private message conversations can flow exactly like group discussions (in person or on a forum). From my experience, email can't even come close to replicating that.

Also I am curious to the answer to @highlander's question -- since IME Facebook's privacy settings are very easy to figure out, and very reliable when you get them right and when you learn to expect revision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Well, my post was focusing more on a macro level than a micro level, but that's great it's a net-positive for you. The nature of the medium is one that both enables and encourages mass accumulation of users, so explicitly that they're constantly trying to link you together with other users using the most vague and trivial of criteria to establish a pseudo-connection between users(Hello X, We'll recommend Y as a friend. You and him just so happened to have pissed in the same airport urinal 7 years ago on your trip to Delaware).
    In fairness, it's more like "you and this dude have a shit ton of mutual friends, so you probably know him" -- which is very often the case. I agree when it's only like one mutual friend and you're thinking "why the hell are they recommending some random dude from Jordan to me?"

I never understood people who have a lot of Facebook friends they MET on Facebook and never spoke to irl -- because as I understand it (and I'd like to think I understand it well), that's not the point of Facebook.
    Your experience is a result of a desire to connect to a subset of individuals; I imagine there's a concerted amount of effort on your end to establish said connection, and would have a greater likelihood of persisting in a cross-medium platform with the people you've chosen to friend, than, say, the person who has accumulated 700+ friends.
    I suppose you're right. From my perspective, it's a lot easier than maintaining that connection via email or near-constant texting -- but maybe it's different for others.
    Last edited by EJCC; 08-18-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: clarification
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Which, speaking of, I think is the direction social media ought to evolve - a way to improve contact with people who are meaningful to you - but unfortunately I don't think that's where the big bucks are.
    That's certainly a very romanticized viewpoint, and in theory, would be great. Yet the goal of these sites is to accumulate as many users as possible, get them hooked on your product, then make tons from ad revenue and implement some type of incentives system conducive to micro-transactions.
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I never understood people who have a lot of Facebook friends they MET on Facebook and never spoke to irl -- because as I understand it (and I'd like to think I understand it well), that's not the point of Facebook.
    Seems to me that's exactly the point of Facebook. Why provide a platform simply to facilitate your user base off of it (hence, playing games with friends incorporated into the website, aka, we'll provide you with everything you need to make your browsing experience more enjoyable and engaging, insofar as you don't leave until your ass and computer chair have started to fuse together)?
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Seems to me that's exactly the point of Facebook. Why provide a platform simply to facilitate your user base off of it (hence, playing games with friends incorporated into the website, aka, we'll provide you with everything you need to make your browsing experience more enjoyable and engaging, insofar as you don't leave until your ass and computer chair have started to fuse together)?
    Nitpicky response: As I understand it, the point of social gaming is to peer-pressure you into playing competitively. That isn't going to work if you have no idea who that person is, and accepted their friend request even when you didn't know them. It's name recognition that gets you invested.

General response: In fairness, maybe I have sort of an old-person attitude towards it (at age 22, lol). Maybe teenagers and younger college kids view it differently. But I use it for not only the reasons that I listed, but for reasons you'd associate with people long since out of school, who want to keep contact with old friends from school or friends that moved away to settle down elsewhere.

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

That's certainly a very romanticized viewpoint, and in theory, would be great. Yet the goal of these sites is to accumulate as many users as possible, get them hooked on your product, then make tons from ad revenue and implement some type of incentives system conducive to micro-transactions.
    Yeah, exactly. I hate how Facebook is starting to get infiltrated with stupid money-sucking game requests and shit advertisement "Suggested Posts" and other soulless commercial filler.

I figure it'll implode eventually and give way to a new fad social site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    After 12,000+ posts, has your well-being been undermined? Confess your sins, my son.
    As for Facebook, someone ought to take a flamethrower to it.
    I am too close to know whether Central enhances my well-being.

And as they say, the closer you are the less you see.

So i don't know.

Permabanned

Facebook is used to spy on each other because we have become to compititive with each other we have to see what others are doing in order to keep up. The internet is a terrible means of communication since most communication is done through our body language not our words.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Didn't used to think this was type-related, but what I'm getting out of this thread so far is:

Social last: resents Facebook and either doesn't participate or gets very little out of it
    Social first: If a participant, gets something meaningful out of Facebook and recognizes it

Obviously the above is not a hard-and-fast rule, nor is it even a theory to try and prove, but the trend does make sense; when I was responding to Coriolis regarding Facebook's advantages over email etc, most of those advantages related to social dynamics and group communication, which would not really be natural priorities for sx/sp or sp/sx.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What are the specific things that make you uncomfortable from a privacy perspective? What's the real risk?
    I'm surprised I need to enumerate the privacy issues with Facebook, when they have been the subject of so much public discourse in the past couple of years. Just the fact that privacy settings keep changing is a cause for concern. It almost seems that Facebook is hoping to wear down their users, hoping they will slip up the next time they must update them, and forget to close some door, letting information leak out.

Facebook tracks what people shop for and buy, and sucks in personal information through its apps and games. Then there is the geolocation aspect for mobile users. Yes, you can shut these off for yourself, but can still be compromised through "friends" who have not. We really don't know what Facebook does with all the information posted, even the private messages. We don't even know if they adhere to their own policies (if I recall, there was a significant episode a year or two ago when they were caught not doing so). Users must simply trust that they so do.

Then there is always the possibility of government snooping, either with court permission, or without. Finally, I hear more and more about employers using information on Facebook in evaluating employees or job applicants. This isn't limited to looking at someone's public profile, which more people at least are limiting; they sometimes require people to log into their accounts and let them snoop at everything.

The real risk is that people will get information about me that I did not choose for them to have, and by extension that they will use it in ways that are not in my best interests. The bottom line is that the only way to make sure information is protected is not to put it out there.

People who use Facebook either don't care about all of this, or consider that the risks are worth the benefit. Whether due to being SO last or some other reason, @EJCC is correct in that I see little benefit. My electronic communication is targeted and focused. I prefer to contact friends and associates individually, or in small situational groups (e.g. invitees to a certain event, or participants in a certain activity) for which I can make distribution lists. I have no intrest in blanket sharing of the minutiae of my day (or reading the same from others), and the more important pieces of information are for specific people only.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

WALMART

I only put into it what I want others to get out of it.

Usually entails stupid random thoughts that spring up in my mind or sharing good music I'm vibing to.