User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Trolling can be learned, at least on this forum.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    (I don't call this "submission" btw. I call it back pedalling. Need someone that's gonna give in once in a while and back pedal, cause it shows they care more about the relationship than being right all the time. Fe does this very nicely. ENFJ's do it the most ime, then INFJ's following close behind)

PS (Also just guessing but....I think that other people may say that you're an E6 a lot cause that sounds a little like fear of abandonment. Not saying that I think you are E6 or anything, just saying that I know that fear now when I see it, and that could be what you're projecting)
    Your syntax could be correcterer than mine. And yes, Fe users tend to do exactly what I'm talking about while Fi doms tend to think there is something they're supposed to be sticking up for.

As far as abandonment issues goes... there isn't any fear of abandonment like any e6 or e4 would express from my end. But I do feel great hurt. My pain threshold is the size of an idiot when I'm not pretending it doesn't exist.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Forget learning it, let's just hug it out and dance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFAdlU2ETjU
    Skip to 7:20 if you want, I thought the whole thing was fascinating. Possibly a cure for psychopathy.
    That is awesome
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    That is awesome
    See now I can just feel myself becoming more empathetic just seven more hugs to go for the day.

The Deracination of Empathy and Sympathy

Christianity is a revolutionary religion starting at year zero. Literally starting at year zero, for we count our year 2013 Anno Domini (AD - After the Lord) from year zero of the Christian Era.

However all revolutionary impulses try to start from year zero. Of course the revolutionary Pol Pot of Cambodia took his country back to year zero in 1975.

And the French revolutionaries of 1787 started Year 1 of the French Revolutionary Calendar.

The Yankee revolutionaries were even more ambitious and tried to turn English itself back to year zero.

English, you remember, is an historical language, in that spelling and meaning are dependent on the history of every English word, so Noah Webster, of Webster's American Dictionary, tried to erase history from English by changing the spelling of English words.

Noah was only partially successful as the Yankees failed to impose their spelling on the rest of the English world, but he was successful in deracinating Americans by creating American English.

And it is American English that has succeeded in erasing the history and meaning of the words, 'empathy' and 'sympathy'.

Yes, the Americans have not only deracinated themselves, they have deracinated the meaning of the words 'empathy' and 'sympathy'.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    I think people can learn and "internalize" empathy to some extend. I think narsistic and psychopaths/sociopaths can learn about empathic behavior but they don't "internalize" it.

I think narcissists can learn to internalize it, but not psychopaths- if my understanding of their distinction is correct. Narcissists repress it (and feelings of shame) as a coping mechanism, and the goal in treatment is to get them back in touch with their own feelings of shame (and in so doing, with empathy); whereas psychopaths just aren't capable of feeling shame in the first place? I have no idea what the recovery of a narcissist actually looks like though, or if it's really possible (or remotely typical) for them to get to a healthy equilibrium.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Society

it depends - empathy is too complicated to put it all down to one process:
    • the ability to see reality from someone else's point of view.
    • the willingness to put aside your point of view when those conflict.
    • the ability to pick up on their emotional state.
    • the willingness to trust the expressions of another.
    • the ability to simulate their experience of reality.
    • the willingness to accept it as an element of reality.
    • the ability to match your experience to theirs.
    • the willingness to give equal value to another's experience.

a lot can go wrong in that process, and whether it can be fixed depends on where the road block is...
    the abilities can be learned, but will has to be chosen.

Not only can empathy be learnt, there is no alternative, it must be learnt.

And it is learnt quite easily with the practice of simple exercises.

And the emphasis is on practise, until we get it or it becomes second nature.

The fact is empathy can't be learnt by thinking about it. Empathy can only be learnt by physical practice, practice, practice.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I think whether or not you really want to is a very important part of this. Empathy is really more an issue of capacity.
    Empathy has nothing to do with will or capacity, rather it is something we learn to do through formal practice, like learning to read and write.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Empathy has nothing to do with will or capacity, rather it is something we learn to do through formal practice, like learning to read and write.
    I'm guessing I take empathy lessons in the same place I take oral sex lessons.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78