8 25.81%
  • Defense

12 38.71%
  • Midfield/Both/No Preference

5 16.13%
  • Option for people who don't play sports but would like to vote anyway

6 19.35%
123 Last

Default Do You Like Playing Offense or Defense Better?

For people who play sports, which do you prefer?

I personally like defense/midfield. I can see easily what the other team is going to do and anticipate/intercept, and I like to defend a player one on one, wait for (or force) a mistake, and then strike. Offense-wise, I enjoy being part of a good passing sequence, making a goal or assist, but I just don't seem to have that killer instinct to finish the play for a goal or point.

...putting the thread in 'other psychology' because I think it does have to do with an individual's personality, although not necessarily MBTI or enneagram.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Left Midfield (when I played soccer years back) was definately the best for me. It allowed for space to create plays, to inlfuence where the ball goes, and to set people up. The wing is preferrable to the center because there's more freedom, less defensive responcibility, and more dynamic assaults, flanking the opponent. My prefference is Midfield>Offense>Defense.

UGH dammit I meant to make it a public poll again...

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I really like offense, or orchestrating and executing a precise attack. Plus it's always fun to score/win/kill/destroy. In soccer I'd be really bored on defense waiting to react, football I also didn't like defense too much, even though I was oddly better defensively in both sports.

Personally though, midfield is the best of both worlds so I'd always pick that if I could.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Depends on the sport. For football, basketball, MMA, and golf I like defense.

On defense in football all you have to worry about is hitting the ball carrier, covering your man and minding the gaps. I was never a good enough runner to be a real offensive play maker. What I am good at is seeing the crease and smacking the hell out of whoever is running through it. Also sacking a qb is one of the most satisfying things ever. High school wanted me to be a QB, I'm a tall strong lefty, but my Dad never let me play for the school (didn't want me getting hurt) so I never got to see how that would pan out.

I'm mostly garbage at bball, except I can shoot, and defend in the paint. I can't dribble for shit.

In MMA I love to counter punch. I've got a pretty good chin and absorb damage very well, so it's ok if I get popped, and people usually way overexpose themselves when attacking. Learning to be evasive pays more dividends than being a bull in a china shop. That being said, I've got fairly good legs and really like to leg kick the other guy at the beginning of the fight to take his base away from him.

I probably competed in golf at a higher level than any of my other sports. For a long time I was pretty aggressive with my shots and drives, but as I grew in my teen years, I started hitting the ball farther, and began to swing too hard for some of my graphite shafts. This forced my to get really good with my steel shafted irons and wedges, which led me to become a more conservative player which improved my scores more than anything else I ever did. I didn't get a proper set of clubs (for my size, my old clubs were from my early teen amateur days) until I graduated college. I've been trying to get better with drive consistency, and my wedge play from the sand. I play my best when I'm conservative in my shot calling which some would call defensive.

For Tennis, volleyball, baseball/softball I like offense.

The first sport I ever played was tennis, and as such got very comfortable with a top spin heavy ground stroke cannon/attack the net style of gameplay. I'm a fairly aggressive person, and in tennis you can't really be aggressive while playing defense like you can in football or MMA. Being tall, and a lefty, I had a big serve and was holy terror at the net. My biggest problem in tennis is that I would push too hard and beat myself with unforced errors. I'm a better doubles player where the work load is split and the game gets more strategic. If I can get more patient in the point and really start to try and pick apart my opponent with smart as opposed to strictly aggressive play, I could be a much better tennis player than I am.

I love volleyball. You hardly have to run anywhere and if you have ups your golden. For a guy my size I've got quite a vertical leap, and being a tall left helps here as well. I wanna be at the net spiking the hell out of it and blocking the opposing teams play.

I started playing baseball young as well. If my arm wasn't busted I might have been able to pitch, but I prefer playing first base or catching. But what I really love doing is batting. From playing so many sports where I hit a ball (tennis, golf etc..) I've got really good eye hand coordination when I need to hit a ball with a stick of some kind. I'm also a lefty and big so I can hit it to the weaker parts of the field and also put balls in the parking lot.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

If you're talking about the sort of sport that has teams and ball or some such, for some reason I don't like being on the defensive. Perhaps my rather impaired perception of geometry makes block and intercepting too much pressure for me.

If you're talking about a sort of pugilistic game, then I suppose I'm more defensive. In boxing terminology handle things like an outsider. Buy time, control distance, wait for good countering opportunities.

I can't resist throwing in a comment about formal debate. In debates, I prefer defense, and if it's a team debate, I especially prefer second negative position. You just get to tear into the other side's argument and that's all you need to do. I'm good at that.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I really like offense, or orchestrating and executing a precise attack. Plus it's always fun to score/win/kill/destroy. In soccer I'd be really bored on defense waiting to react, football I also didn't like defense too much, even though I was oddly better defensively in both sports.

Personally though, midfield is the best of both worlds so I'd always pick that if I could.
    Yeah I agree, if your team is a lot better then it's sooooo boring when the ball never crosses the half line.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Poll is now public- if you voted in the non-public poll you will need to vote again

Stansmith

Defense is pretty easy, just be obsessively aggressive.

I like playing defense better because I'm good at it.
    I really like cats and food.