User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    9w8

Default What Thoughts Keep you Awake? Type Related?

Hi, a friend asked me what it was that kept me awake at night and if I considered those noisy little thoughts in my head to be Ni-dom or Ti-dom. In response I made a little video where I'm talking to him and to another online person. I don't actually answer his question, but just discuss the type of thoughts I have so that he may answer his own question. Maybe, it's because I don't really know the answer. The video is in intense sunlight so me and everything around me is totally bleached out. Sorry about that, but still, take a peek and then tell me what do you think? Are the thoughts that float through our head when we're still and trying to fall asleep a good tool for recognizing type symptoms? Hope you enjoy. I had to make the video outside because my dog kept trying to eat my camera while I was inside.

A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Haha you think all the time about deep meaning and purpose of humanity, the big questions, very nice!

What disturbes the crap out of me is my annoying as hell school life and all the bad junk still in my memory. During the day I really don't care, but when all the lights go out, it runs a rampage in my mind.

The mysteries of existence obviously are also a big focus for me, but those are more fun to consider, unlike my previous examples.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

anymore it's something like "ooh, this looks interesting!" *click blue word on wikipedia* "oooh... wonder what this is?" *click blue word on wikipedia* rinse and repeat

in the bad old days?

* fuck, I'm going to go to jail forever and then I'll kill myself by eating paint chips or drowning myself in the toilet

* I made him hate me... I'm such a fucking idiot... best thing I ever had and I'm losing it

* do I have enough money to put gas in the car/buy lunch/get more cigarettes/pay the phone bill?

... and on one unfortunate instance, I was kept awake by the Battle Hymn of the Republic running through my head
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Basically I hear music in everything, a door creaking looped repeatedly in my head until I fell asleep. I think something's wrong with me I never seem to actually think about anything, like I don't have an internal dialogue just see images and hear music.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    Hi, a friend asked me what it was that kept me awake at night and if I considered those noisy little thoughts in my head to be Ni-dom or Ti-dom. In response I made a little video where I'm talking to him and to another online person. I don't actually answer his question, but just discuss the type of thoughts I have so that he may answer his own question. Maybe, it's because I don't really know the answer. The video is in intense sunlight so me and everything around me is totally bleached out. Sorry about that, but still, take a peek and then tell me what do you think? Are the thoughts that float through our head when we're still and trying to fall asleep a good tool for recognizing type symptoms? Hope you enjoy. I had to make the video outside because my dog kept trying to eat my camera while I was inside.

haven't watched the video yet...but the thoughts that keep me up are the same thoughts that keep me distracted all day long. is that different for other people? i mean...are the sleepy late night thoughts experienced differently somehow?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Infinite Bubble

I hate sleep. It really bores me. My thoughts whiz around manically at night, and that's great. So I go to bed as late as possible. Then of course, when it's time, they don't stop. Trying to stop thinking only makes me think about not thinking. The subjects are basically the same as in the day; science/people/music/future plans etc. Usually goes a bit like this:

"What about this, and this, and this?" (Usually related to science or psychology in some way.)
    "Tomorrow this would be a great idea! You should do this!" (Get excited about it, making relaxation for sleep even more difficult.)
    "Hang on, you better get up and write this down, or you'll forget it!" (Of course I have to get up, as the idea will be good, from me being so close to my unconscious.)

Infinite Bubble

Damn double post.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

"Fuck, what if I can't get to sleep? If I can't get to sleep in 22 minutes, I'll only get 5 hours! Adjust alarm clock accordingly? Tomorrow's going to blow so hard if I can't get to sleep tonight. I'm going to be jumpy and nauseous all day. Have to get to sleep. Running out of time..."
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Enneagram
    9w8

From the answers I'm seeing so far, it DOES look like different cognitive types deal with different issues in the wee hours of the night. I DO think, @Lady X, that our going to bed thoughts differ slightly in that there are not as many distractions and we are actually more aware of those thoughts and what they consist of, but as you say, this may totally depend upon the person and therefore, is that also indicative of type?

@Poimandres
    Haha you think all the time about deep meaning and purpose of humanity, the big questions, very nice!
    Thank you

What disturbes the crap out of me is my annoying as hell school life and all the bad junk still in my memory. During the day I really don't care, but when all the lights go out, it runs a rampage in my mind.
    I think that's because immediate distractions are minimized and our minds have time to start analyzing data and situations.

The mysteries of existence obviously are also a big focus for me, but those are more fun to consider, unlike my previous examples.
    Yeah, they're the ones that will drive a person to getting up out of bed and staying up until all hours of the night, trying to write it all down so it still makes since in the morning.

@whatever
    anymore it's something like "ooh, this looks interesting!" *click blue word on wikipedia* "oooh... wonder what this is?" *click blue word on wikipedia* rinse and repeat
    It sounds like this is much better than before.

@Infinite Bubble
    My thoughts whiz around manically at night, and that's great. So I go to bed as late as possible. Then of course, when it's time, they don't stop. Trying to stop thinking only makes me think about not thinking. The subjects are basically the same as in the day; science/people/music/future plans etc. Usually goes a bit like this:

"What about this, and this, and this?" (Usually related to science or psychology in some way.)
    "Tomorrow this would be a great idea! You should do this!" (Get excited about it, making relaxation for sleep even more difficult.)
    "Hang on, you better get up and write this down, or you'll forget it!" (Of course I have to get up, as the idea will be good, from me being so close to my unconscious.)
    There are times when I actually do that, too, especially if there's a problem that needs solving. Possible solutions will flood my head and prevent any type of sleep from happening which then will lead me to thinking about the bigger picture and where it all fits in and does it really matter and if so, why?

@Webslinger I've heard co-workers say similar things [not quite as colorfully] about what goes through their heads at night.

@human101 I may have to nickname you August Rush.
    Basically I hear music in everything, a door creaking looped repeatedly in my head until I fell asleep. I think something's wrong with me I never seem to actually think about anything, like I don't have an internal dialogue just see images and hear music.
    I don't know if you're familiar with who Barry Gibb is but he has written more songs in the last century than probably anyone but the Beetles. During an interview about ten years ago, he said the same thing, that he hears music in everything.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ah... never underestimate the lengths to which wiki-walks can extend... I've gone on the wiki-Appalachian trail when I've had work the next morning on way too many occasions

the battle hymn of the republic WAS atrocious though... that rhythm... how could ANYONE fall asleep with that rhythm in their head!

... of course another thing that I forgot to mention was the complete disgustingness of humanity that comes up when I'm trying to sleep and the boyfriend is happily snoring away beside me... people sweat in their sleep... what must mattresses contain? Oh my fucking god what do I sleep on every night?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett