User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    For the introverts who like or love crowds, do they energize you, or do you have specific limits on how much you can deal with? If they typically energize you, what is it that makes you identify as an introvert instead of extrovert? I think even extroverts tend to like some alone time, but too much drains them quickly and ultimately their source of inner charge comes from external stimulation.
    They do not energize me, I'll get drained if I'm in it too long. MY ENFJ husband gets more energized but even he has limits. BTW, did you go to Costco on a weekend or something?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vilku View Post
    UH, i love crowded places, because theres so much sensual stimulation to analyze all the peoples feelings!
    sure, i have my days when i couldnt bother, but i simply ignore others if thats my day.

and i think its more to do with social instinct than introversion. also in enneagram, wings can be divided into an extrodirected wing and introdirected wing, which i think is most likely the most important deciding factor of all.
    This does sound like the quintessential ENFJ response. I don't know you as a poster very well, but have you ever considered that type? I don't identify as an E/so, but I do have strong social needs. My rather extreme introverted approach solves the problem by marrying another extreme introvert, and having a few friends who are mostly online. Most of these friends have busy, overwhelmed lives themselves and so are not able to communicate very often, so I find enough of them to match my own social needs. i also teach one-on-one, so my work provides some social connection. I tend to look really deeply at each individual and how they process thought and emotion. This is why I can't deal with too many at once. It is an especially quiet life.

I know that @Lexicon and @fidelia are also INFJs who mentioned they are not bothered by crowds, but they have also mentioned some introverted needs to recharge. i do think they have stronger Fe than myself. I was just wondering about your response which might be in line with the other INFJs who don't mind crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    They do not energize me, I'll get drained if I'm in it too long. MY ENFJ husband gets more energized but even he has limits. BTW, did you go to Costco on a weekend or something?
    I can't remember when it was, but I was already pretty drained. It was a very large, bulk-hoard store which also feels really aggressive. I can do better if there isn't sensory overload and if the place is familiar and routine. It could be something besides just introversion, but I am consistently introverted, so I'm sure that's part of it.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I know that @Lexicon and @fidelia are also INFJs who mentioned they are not bothered by crowds, but they have also mentioned some introverted needs to recharge. i do think they have stronger Fe than myself.
    I dunno if it's my Fe per se, cuz I'm only comfortable around throngs of people when I've got something I'm more passionate about/interested in to focus on (like with my example of seeing musicians rock out or riding rollercoasters, ha). I don't look people in the eye, or speak to anyone (unless my INTP sidekick came with me; in which case I talk with her/we peoplewatch together), & if it's a situation where direct interaction (be it sustained eye contact, or speaking beyond having some service rendered) is more likely to occur, my tolerance level drops significantly. The latter scenario I often will simply take measures to avoid entirely, whenever possible. If it's unavoidable, I typically detach, in a way, & go somewhere else in my head. So in that respect, I'm not really in the crowd at all, if that makes sense.

I'll be going to a busy airport soon, come to think of it. Fortunately I'll have a cat to focus on/talk to, & a book, or laptop. I'll be somewhere in a corner, or by a wall when viable. I hate people behind me for extended periods. I bet that sounds paranoid, haha.

And don't get me started on the plane seating. Window or nothing. I can't do the sandwiched between 2 people thing. I get really tense.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I can't remember when it was, but I was already pretty drained. It was a very large, bulk-hoard store which also feels really aggressive. I can do better if there isn't sensory overload and if the place is familiar and routine. It could be something besides just introversion, but I am consistently introverted, so I'm sure that's part of it.
    Oh I know, I shop there regularly. I generally go on a weekday, Tuesdays in fact. They get more shipments that day than other days of the week. I never got a feeling of aggressiveness there, although they do push the free samples which causes traffic problems in the store. More than once I have wanted to approach management about this and suggest some better ideas, while keeping the samples somewhat near the actual products they are sampling.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    MBTI
    Enneagram
    0w0

This does sound like the quintessential ENFJ response. I don't know you as a poster very well, but have you ever considered that type? I don't identify as an E/so, but I do have strong social needs. My rather extreme introverted approach solves the problem by marrying another extreme introvert, and having a few friends who are mostly online. Most of these friends have busy, overwhelmed lives themselves and so are not able to communicate very often, so I find enough of them to match my own social needs. i also teach one-on-one, so my work provides some social connection. I tend to look really deeply at each individual and how they process thought and emotion. This is why I can't deal with too many at once. It is an especially quiet life.

I know that @Lexicon and @fidelia are also INFJs who mentioned they are not bothered by crowds, but they have also mentioned some introverted needs to recharge. i do think they have stronger Fe than myself. I was just wondering about your response which might be in line with the other INFJs who don't mind crowds.

not really, but now i have.
    i think im very expressive due being a 4w3 and sx so, and an fe. but when i communicate with enfj's, even my emotional expressivity fades in comparison.

ive also analyzed socionics dynamics, and it makes sense to me how i experience especially isfp's and intp's. with intp's im annoyed by the less healthy ones endless Ti tangents and using other people to leech information from. and isfp's i suppose, view me much the same way, that i must try hard to fill their standards, at which i somewhat succeed.

i think my interest on other people is just a sign of developing Se, i used to be very indifferent and prejudiceful of other fellas before.

if youre a 4w5 and sx sp, then thats pretty much as introverted as one can go.

although i too do prefer one on ones, thats my Sx, but i can do well in groups too, although it takes extra effort and doesnt allow for intense connection to others. i do can create an intense group atmosphere, but its not as personal.
    healthiness is all about appreciating other peoples inferior function. its like the sore spot no one ever notices, but we desperately wish they did, and if you focus on doing that, youll have many friends. and also learn to appreciate your own inferior function, others wont find it stupid if you show them how cool it is.

INTJ 4w3 Sp Sx. (i dont believe in tritype. i do believe in learning traits from others.)

mistakes happen. expect them, and grow from them. look for them, and avoid them.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

For the introverts who like or love crowds, do they energize you, or do you have specific limits on how much you can deal with? If they typically energize you, what is it that makes you identify as an introvert instead of extrovert? I think even extroverts tend to like some alone time, but too much drains them quickly and ultimately their source of inner charge comes from external stimulation.
    Walking through crowds energizes me in the sense that I'm in adrenaline mode, but I get worn out after a few hours or so. So I guess a temporary energizing from internal stores - definitely not a net gain of energy.

I'm pretty sure I'm an introvert because if I pass my threshold for social interaction (usually no more than an hour or two in large groups, but it depends how intense the situation is), I get very anxious and uncomfortable and feel a rapidly growing need to escape.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I don't really have problems with them as I am a non-entity in their eyes; there is nobody to concern myself with and I need not put on a presentation. I am just one amongst many going about my day. All I need do is take note of those around me but that is no different than when I'm by myself at home.

As for sensory overload, I survive. I like it when it causes my mind to light up and suddenly my brain is connecting together twenty things at once. Even if the intuition is yet to speak to me and all I can hear is mental clutter I tend to believe that in time it will and that a well timed and well placed thought on my part will set off the whole show and I shall have new understanding in the bag.
    I came in here to say just that.

I like to people watch and kind of passively absorb an environment, but from a distance or in a detached way. As long as I am not expected to interact, then I'm generally okay. I used to live in this little downtown area & enjoyed sitting on my balcony to watch people pass by below & hear the music from the restaurants & bars in the distance. The stillness of a quiet countryside just increases my sense of alienation. I like to observe, but not participate so much.

I love loud music & bright lights & colors, but it has to be within the parameters of my taste or it can annoy me. It can be as if suddenly all the color & excitement of my inner world has finally come to life, and I enjoy the hyper-real, almost surreal feeling of it all.

I do reach my limit faster than many people. I'm ready to go home after a short while. The amount of time I can last in such a situation is extended if everything is taken down a few notches, or I have a quiet/still place to escape to here & there and interaction is not constant.

I do get that sense of loneliness when in crowd - that whole " I feel most alone when surrounded by other people". It's this realization of a disconnect from others even when they are physically close. This can depress me, which is why I don't do the crowd thing too often or for too long a time.

Yes, many limits, some described above; and a lot of it depends on my mood. I frequently choose to do grocery shopping at hours when the store is empty or I go equipped with headphones to block out the noise. A part of me likes "emotional voyeurism" of overhearing other people & gathering impressions of their interpersonal dynamics & individual psychologies, but I can also get very agitated from the emotional energy.

I can have a "flight" instinctual response when in the middle of a crowd & especially when expected to interact with it. It has taken some effort for me to stay after church to talk with people & not just immediately disappear because the crowd of people overwhelms me; I have a strong desire to leave a situation like that ASAP, to RUN to solitude. I used to arrive right before & leave right after, but of course I never got to know anyone that way.

For me, when I am in a crowd, I still tend to lapse into my inner world. The external goings-on are imagination fodder or a backdrop, but not my direct focus. This is why I don't like too much interaction with it - that demands my focus to be too outward. This is also why I often don't notice details but tend to experience things as a vague atmosphere, like I'm taking it in only half-conciously.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I like to observe, but not participate so much.
    Yes! This is the relevant distinction for me as well. As long as I have the ability to get away from the crowd when desired.
    -end of thread-

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Overstimulation is a good word for it. I used to love to go to concerts when I was younger but I haven’t gone to one in a long time, because at some point the kerfuffle of the crowd started outweighing the enjoyment I got out of them. I seem to be able to weather crowds much better if I’ve got someone with me to navigate (who either already knows their way around the place, or is the type who can instantly navigate brand new spaces)- because I rather like the role of silent observer sometimes if there’s someone else there to hide behind/follow around- otherwise crowds are unnerving to me because I have a very hard time thinking.

I have a couple of pictures of my ENP ex and I that personify the difference well. I only just noticed a year or so ago when going back through them. One is at home with a few friends, and the other one in a crowd. I’m bright eyed and couldn’t look happier in the former, while I look like I’m fighting off nausea in the latter (even though that particular crowd gathered to hear Thich Nhat Hanh speak- that’s almost as calm a crowd as it gets); yet it’s exactly the reverse for him. He looks like a kid in a candy store in a crowd, but miserable at home with just a few people. It’s just kinda funny because I never noticed the contrast in person, but it really shows up in pictures of us.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Pretty much with what @Red Herring said. I do like to sit on the sidelines and people watch, though. It can be like watching this vast complex dance and is fascinating to me.

I can get sensory overload pretty quickly. Too much information coming in and no way to shut it out. Overwhelming. However, I get urges to indulge in sensory overload, too. It was worse when I was younger.