User Tag List

First 1234 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yeah I can relate to the sensory overload thing. I need to be in peaceful and quiet places to recharge- I just don't have to be alone. I'd be fine with one or two other people in a quiet place. But I think it's actually more natural and healthy to be in environments which are not overstimulating; it's another example of the modern world disconnecting us from what is most harmonious. Some people seem to thrive on stimulation, but it would still be more healthy for them to learn to deal with less of it. Like we are have become addicted to sugar, caffeine, and other stimulants- sensory over-stimulation is another drug.

I don't really have problems with them as I am a non-entity in their eyes; there is nobody to concern myself with and I need not put on a presentation. I am just one amongst many going about my day. All I need do is take note of those around me but that is no different than when I'm by myself at home.

As for sensory overload, I survive. I like it when it causes my mind to light up and suddenly my brain is connecting together twenty things at once. Even if the intuition is yet to speak to me and all I can hear is mental clutter I tend to believe that in time it will and that a well timed and well placed thought on my part will set off the whole show and I shall have new understanding in the bag.

I don't really have problems with them as I am a non-entity in their eyes; there is nobody to concern myself with and I need not put on a presentation. I am just one amongst many going about my day. All I need do is take note of those around me but that is no different than when I'm by myself at home.

As for sensory overload, I survive. I like it when it causes my mind to light up and suddenly my brain is connecting together twenty things at once. Even if the intuition is yet to speak to me and all I can hear is mental clutter I tend to believe that in time it will and that a well timed and well placed thought on my part will set off the whole show and I shall have new understanding in the bag.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Being around big giant hordes of people is largely equivalent to living in an insect hive.
    You cause just the slightest disruption in their 'natural order', and then they all go into a mad franzy!

MBTI
    MBTI
    Enneagram
    0w0

UH, i love crowded places, because theres so much sensual stimulation to analyze all the peoples feelings!
    sure, i have my days when i couldnt bother, but i simply ignore others if thats my day.

and i think its more to do with social instinct than introversion. also in enneagram, wings can be divided into an extrodirected wing and introdirected wing, which i think is most likely the most important deciding factor of all.
    healthiness is all about appreciating other peoples inferior function. its like the sore spot no one ever notices, but we desperately wish they did, and if you focus on doing that, youll have many friends. and also learn to appreciate your own inferior function, others wont find it stupid if you show them how cool it is.

INTJ 4w3 Sp Sx. (i dont believe in tritype. i do believe in learning traits from others.)

mistakes happen. expect them, and grow from them. look for them, and avoid them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't have a fear of crowds. The only thing I ever get is tired, that's more from fighting through the crowds or a lot of noise, lights, something like that but it really depends on what I'm there for. Sporting events, grocery stores, parades, amusement parks...all good.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I identify with the premise of the thread 100%. Crowds are very upsetting to me and overwhelming. I've never been to a sporting event or rock concert. I tend to avoid shopping as much as possible as well. If I went to a mega-crowd event I would probably have a melt-down. It is almost like I can feel too much electricity in a crowd and can almost feel something like electricity every time a person walks by.

This is an embarrassing anecdote, but I recently went to a Costco because we heard good things about them and were going to get a membership. The parking lot was full, there was only a door on one side of the building, so it was quite confusing. I went when it was really crowded, everyone had enormous shopping carts, the shelves were two-stories high, and everything looked different than the grocery store where I normally shop. I went through the register with just a couple of things only to find out I couldn't buy anything w/o a membership. I got really shaky all over, went back to my car, and felt like crying. It felt so disorienting and overwhelming. I realize this makes me a bit extreme on the introvert scale, but I already know myself to be that. So yeah, I don't like crowds.

@AntiheroComplex, could you add a poll to the thread?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

As long as I haven't been really stressed over a period of time, I don't mind [/feel neutral toward] crowds.
    (if I've been stressed/sick/etc then I'm drained/more sensitive to sensory overload- especially when it revolves around people)

I do dislike shopping, & it's much easier/quicker to do it when less customers are around. More peaceful. But generally it's not a matter of the humans themselves bothering me. @fia- COSTCO/warehouse stores are suffocating to me; F those places. I do tend to feel more overwhelmed by people in those settings, for whatever reason (maybe the floor-ceiling shelving?) & it's definitely not comfortable.

I dislike family gatherings- in part due to the crowding, & in part due to the artificiality/dysfunctionality bs of it. The combination triggers anxiety, so I make it a point not to attend consistently, so it's never expected of me ("oh that's just how she is"). I think that's the issue about crowds for me. When it's strangers, there's no implicit expectation that I have to engage others at all. I'm free to pretend they don't exist, if need be (to some extent, at least). I suppose this could apply to my passion for performing, as well, since I'm lost in what I'm doing. The rest of the world melts away. Unless it's friends/peers putting me on the spot to perform- it's too distracting/uncomfortable, plus it makes me feel like a trained monkey. That latter bit's probably got more to do w/intimacy issues, though.

In random crowds I can lurk in the shadows/corners & peoplewatch without seeming noticeably creepy, since there's so much happening, if I feel so inclined. Most of the time, if I'm in a crowd it's because there's something really cool happening (I'm at an amusement park, or a small cramped show venue to see bands I like, or I'm on a trip wandering a city). I almost don't notice the people around, in a way. Sensortard thing, I figure. Or maybe the Fe turns down to tune in to the fun/thrilling Se crap. Or it has nothing to do w/functions & I'm speculating for the hell of it.

After long periods of time not really socializing outside my house/dr offices, due to illness, I do notice it takes me some additional time to adjust to all the stuff going on around me (even when it's just hanging out 1:1 it feels like too much). I feel a bit more awkward, perhaps more prone to anxiety. But aside from that, crowds are just fine by me. If I happen to get overwhelmed, I may take a break further into my head, but still stick around. /shrug

Oh, & overall - having a couple escape routes is a must, if I want to feel more at ease in crowds.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    yupp

if i'm with more than several people but not in the middle of it, i freak and feel overwhelmed (and i mean middle of it in a metaphorical sense) when I don't know anyone that i can focus my attention on, i tend to panic
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

For the introverts who like or love crowds, do they energize you, or do you have specific limits on how much you can deal with? If they typically energize you, what is it that makes you identify as an introvert instead of extrovert? I think even extroverts tend to like some alone time, but too much drains them quickly and ultimately their source of inner charge comes from external stimulation.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)