26 81.25%
First 45678 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    They say that fascism is more efficient than democracy, but this is but special pleading.

And I believe that saying, you would be ten times better at your job if you didn't have a conscience, is also special pleading.
    It is my understanding that special pleading is a form of a double standard, whereas one party or side of the argument is subjected to rigorous standards of evaluation and another is not. The connection between sociopathy and fascism is tenuous at best, you can't infer that fascism is more efficient than democracy from the premise that psychopaths are more efficient than non-psychopaths.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Reason and Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    It is my understanding that special pleading is a form of a double standard, whereas one party or side of the argument is subjected to rigorous standards of evaluation and another should not be done. The connection between sociopathy and fascism is tenuous at best, you can't infer that fascism is more efficient than democracy from the premise that psychopaths are more efficient than non-psychopaths.
    This is true, but perhaps you are overlooking the guilt by association between fascism and sociopathy.

I freely admit association is not causation.

But consider, by associating fascism and sociopathy, I am making an emotional attack on your position.

And further consider, you have responded to my emotional attack with reason.

Can reason defeat emotion? Probably not, for emotion is fleet footed, will attack without rhyme or reason, and leave reason flat footed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Can reason defeat emotion? Probably not, for emotion is fleet footed, will attack without rhyme or reason, and leave reason flat footed.
    Reason does not need to defeat emotion; it needs only to ignore it.

I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Reason does not need to defeat emotion; it needs only to ignore it.

Both reason and emotion are tools of persuasion.

Nobody has a gun on Central, not even the Americans, so all we can do is persuade.

And to persuade we engage in conversation using reason, emotion and humour.

The romanticising of the psychopath by contemporary society is not simply because many of the overlords are psychopaths or behave that way but because the emotional turmoil of many in the present day makes the apparent lack of emotions, in particular guilt, enviable.

Since the society generates the social character and the social character reflects what society needs I would suspect there will be more of this kind of thing.

The challenge is instead not to be or not to be a psychopath but to be or not to be a human being and to challenge the structures which have perrenially obstructed and inhibited that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The romanticising of the psychopath by contemporary society is not simply because many of the overlords are psychopaths or behave that way but because the emotional turmoil of many in the present day makes the apparent lack of emotions, in particular guilt, enviable.

Since the society generates the social character and the social character reflects what society needs I would suspect there will be more of this kind of thing.

The challenge is instead not to be or not to be a psychopath but to be or not to be a human being and to challenge the structures which have perrenially obstructed and inhibited that.
    I couldn't agree more.

We live in a society that increasingly humiliates the vulnerable to control them.

And it works because the vulnerable internalise their humiliation, become disempowered, and so easy to control.

So we need more people like Lark, beating against the current, and challenging us to be a human being.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Both reason and emotion are tools of persuasion.
    Of the two, emotion is more easily ignored.

We live in a society that increasingly humiliates the vulnerable to control them.

And it works because the vulnerable internalise their humiliation, become disempowered, and so easy to control.
    Do we really have more humiliation of the vulnerable now than in past ages? Compared with just a few centuries ago, significantly fewer people are enslaved, women have more freedom, the world has fewer autocracies, literacy is much more widespread, etc. This doesn't excuse the oppression that remains, but indicates the practice is decreasing, not increasing.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Ginkgo

I voted yes, but only if I lived by a code of morality not governed by emotion.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I voted yes, but only if I lived by a code of morality not governed by emotion.
    Everyone knows psychopaths code of morality is governed by the Wheel.

03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Everyone knows psychopaths code of morality is governed by the Wheel.

How objective.