User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default Socionics: Irrational vs Rational music

So I read on socionics.com that irrationals tend to have "softer" emotions, while rationals tend to have "sharper" emotions.

Picking out some intense music, I choose one of my LII 5w4 (MBTI INTP) brother's favorite songs, and compared it to my own SLE 8w7 (MBTI I/ESTP) favorite song. The difference is that of being stabbed with a hot knife (rational) versus entering a room that is sweltering. The rational intensity is more point focussed, while the Irrational intensity is more spread out. Let me know if you can hear what I hear.

LII 5w4 (Rational type)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG0q-MhzQ7I

SLE 8w7 (Irrational Type)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKVUDr1goPc

Essentially, the former song seems to only affect 1 point in my body, while the second song feels seems to affect my entire body.

Thoughts?

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    So I read on socionics.com that irrationals tend to have "softer" emotions, while rationals tend to have "sharper" emotions.

Picking out some intense music, I choose one of my LII 5w4 (MBTI INTP) brother's favorite songs, and compared it to my own SLE 8w7 (MBTI I/ESTP) favorite song. The difference is that of being stabbed with a hot knife (rational) versus entering a room that is sweltering. The rational intensity is more point focussed, while the Irrational intensity is more spread out. Let me know if you can hear what I hear.

LII 5w4 (Rational type)

Essentially, the former song seems to only affect 1 point in my body, while the second song feels seems to affect my entire body.

Thoughts?
    This is too right brained for the likes of me. lol I'm not sure what you're hearing, but the first song is not for a judger. There's no beginning, middle, or end. There's no climax, there's no point. Too many unresolved notes. There's clashing notes (Kind of like the noise you hear when you're playing the game New Vegas and the game tells you there's an enemy just by the disturbing music in the background) I kept waiting for something to happen and nothing did. And the notes just keep trying to bring about anticipation of some sort with no resolution.

I don't like the first song all it just gets louder. I'm ok with the second song. It moves, takes you somewhere and doesn't fuck with you.

Edit: I just got to the part with the words. This song is well worth the wait for the words. awesome
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

hmm, I didn't consider that certain songs wouldn't be percieved in the same way by others. I have a lot of ISFP examples too, such as this, it has a conventional song layout:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

hmm, I didn't consider that certain songs wouldn't be percieved in the same way by others. I have a lot of ISFP examples too, such as this, it has a conventional song layout:

Hmm. Yea this one doesn't seem to affect my whole body either. This is def. for ISFP's though.

Can you define sharper emotions better? Does that mean we feel them more deeply?

Music that affects my whole body is definitely sad music. I dunno about the word sharp. I think I like more raw music. Meaning the singer sounds like they're on the verge of tears like this guy :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufEejvMEP64

The background is happy sounding until you listen the voice/words

Also this is the best song to describe my inner world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdgFoHLwnk

This song is my all time favorite. ^

Or even this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsxfvwuCqxo

I'm happy when a song makes me cry. lmao weird I know.

The current theme other than sadness is that all these guys voices sound like they're about to choke up while singing. That to me is introverted feeling. And it's the only language I understand for emotions.

Freedom isn't free.
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    10w12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfNVfiqKBeM

I don't listen to cut ur wrist kinda emo stuff all the time tho. lol

Freedom isn't free.
    10w12

WALMART

Christian Woman is ISFP music? Interesting. Song does things for me, every last nuance.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

LII 5w4 (Rational type)

Thoughts?
    The first song I thought was boring and repetitive sounding. The second song I liked. I self-type as LII, a rational type but I'm kinda on the rational-irrational border anyway.

I'm skeptical of there being much type correlation with music preference.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

It doesn't work. EIIs often have very soft music tastes and emotions, despite being rational type.

I've been told by several socionists that socionics.com is a bad source of info. Half the articles there sound ill conceived and bizarre.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by sulfit View Post
    It doesn't work. EIIs often have very soft music tastes and emotions, despite being rational type.

I've been told by several socionists that socionics.com is a bad source of info. Half the articles there sound ill conceived and bizarre.
    Hmm... you're probably right about socionics.com. I was skeptical, but the "sharp emotions" really struck a nerve. Most of the women I've dated who I felt had "dark" emotions were rationals, and all too often have they told me that I"m "too innocent."

I think there's something to the hard/sharp thing. It doesn't seem to be an instinctual variant issue as far as I can tell, and it doesn't explain why. these "sharp" emotions are ones I used to describe as "dark" or "intense." I think I have my wording off.

EII's do have very "dark" emotions to me personally. Some of them are in music videos for sigur ros. They seem "dark" to me in the sense that they are painfully gloomy and dismal, in a depressing limbo kinda way. What one may find "hopeful and uplifting" in this song, I find to be horribly depressing. Its like, if you took a really depressed person, and caught them on a day where they were slightly less depressed than before... you have this song. lmao. ENFp's don't seem to generate these same emotions in me that EII's do.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

if anyone doesn't know the difference between Socionics rational and irrational types it's described here: http://www.socionics.us/theory/rat_irr.shtml

Hmm... you're probably right about socionics.com. I was skeptical, but the "sharp emotions" really struck a nerve. Most of the women I've dated who I felt had "dark" emotions were rationals, and all too often have they told me that I"m "too innocent."

I think there's something to the hard/sharp thing. It doesn't seem to be an instinctual variant issue as far as I can tell, and it doesn't explain why. these "sharp" emotions are ones I used to describe as "dark" or "intense." I think I have my wording off.

EII's do have very "dark" emotions to me personally. Some of them are in music videos for sigur ros. They seem "dark" to me in the sense that they are painfully gloomy and dismal, in a depressing limbo kinda way. What one may find "hopeful and uplifting" in this song, I find to be horribly depressing. Its like, if you took a really depressed person, and caught them on a day where they were slightly less depressed than before... you have this song. lmao. ENFp's don't seem to generate these same emotions in me that EII's do.
    "It doesn't seem to be an instinctual variant issue as far as I can tell" - That's not the case. These kind of sharp emotions can be due to both instinct variants and enneagram emotional reactive triad which is 4, 6, and 8.

I've dug up this article from 16types. Take a look what it's saying, that sx/sp and sx/so are prone to having "sharp" emotions:
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...inct-scrapheap

sx/sp: Intense, often a stab-in-the-chest sensation, leaving me in tears without knowing why. Fantastical but much more concentrated in a few inner images. Can be abstract, animating dead objects into their field of contemplation. Embodiment of another human, thing, or idea is common in their writings.

sx/soc: My impression of their writing is "fire-and-ice", as if one is to experience the extremes of heat and coldness at the same time. Often abstract, spilling one inner vision after another like a dream-sequence. Seems particularly in touch with the core meaning of life and death.
    Last edited by sulfit; 07-11-2013 at 08:12 PM.