Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Yes, that would be a success, just like this self-confessed sociopath is a success. Kind of.

Like @zago said, they've just learned another way to fool the suckers who believe in reform and blend in. Blending in is good but I wouldn't repose too much trust in it.
    A lot of sociopaths are outwardly successful. They aren't necessarily retarded nor have cognitive decline from an illness like schizophrenia. If anything, it actually makes them all the more dangerous because they don't care who they hurt or have to step on to get ahead.

I've read some statistics on psychopaths who are CEOs.

I also did a 25 page paper on serial killers for a college class where they were described as being "almost cookie cutter boring."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Also @senza tema

I began to read that confession of a sociopath and was so disgusted by her inner process that I couldn't even continue reading it without feeling angry and feeling like she has no right to walk around free among other human beings.

I'm not sure how much compassion we're "supposed to" show to sociopaths, but I believe the death penalty should exist specifically for them.

I do wonder if they are what our ancient ancestors used to consider people who were basically satan incarnate.

Besides, the nature of the crime is of no moral concern to me; I am interested only in winning the legal game.
    Isn't also comforting to know she's a Mormon Sunday school teacher?

Narcissistic and Sociopathic types are par excellence in playing the game to appear more normal than normal.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Maybe it's a ruse to attract a large pool of suckers and mess with them.

I actually thought of that.
    If they weren't true sociopaths before, they are now!

I just think the criteria is rather vague, if there is no delimiters around self-perception and awareness. At this point, what separates sociopaths from extreme assholes? I have no idea based on the description so far, yet one is a "mental illness" and the other just makes someone a jerk.

The attachment disorder kids I'm aware of actually come across with an obvious psychological impairment, not just seeming like "normal people" who happen to be real jerks.

EDIT: See, I finally started watching this video, and the first three minutes are pretty harrowing. Her behavior is remarkably calm and adult-like for a 6 year old, very matter of fact, and no real fear/hesitance and yet no urgency about her admitting how her parents lock her in her room so that she can't stab her family to death at night. That article in Psych Today just feels like it is trying waaaay too hard. This girl doesn't care whether she is a sociopath or not. She's just providing answers (so far) without a lot of weird underlying resonance; they're just basic details to her.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    I remember watching this many moons ago and thinking how afraid the child was, that she felt compelled to hurt others to numb her own pain. Completely detached from other people.

I just rewatched it and can pinpoint the part where i realised where she was at psychologically- in technicolour, it was how she described the birdlings, as the mother not wanting them if they had been touched and not coming back. This is so apparent to me in connection with how she felt about her own (birth) mother. And that she killed them seemed significant in that she thought them better off dead.

Of course this does not excuse (merely gives reason to) her behaviour and she absolutely needed to be away from her brother whom she was abusing. I do hope he also had therapy, familial abuse tends to work itself out in patterns.

I looked her up and found that she is an advocate of the therapy she received, aparently adopted by the woman running the project (in the vid).There sems to be some dissonance with weather this therapy is/can be successful...

Anyway, a more modern picture of Beth

I wonder how she reconciles it all, i can identify with having to forgive yourself in order to move on in life.

I wonder if she has had or will have her own children.

/tuppence (for now)
    I haven't watched the documentary yet, and find your comments really interesting. I hope the best for this woman.

There is something about her expression here that strikes me as a little odd. It might be partly the bright lights causing her pupils to be smaller than expected, but there is also something almost placid about her smile. I wonder about this therapy and what it is like for a person to go through it. They may still be neurologically atypical.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I haven't watched the documentary yet, and find your comments really interesting. I hope the best for this woman.

There is something about her expression here that strikes me as a little odd. It might be partly the bright lights causing her pupils to be smaller than expected, but there is also something almost placid about her smile. I wonder about this therapy and what it is like for a person to go through it. They may still be neurologically atypical.
    No her eyes also looked like that as a child, even more pronounced.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    No her eyes also looked like that as a child, even more pronounced.
    I just read the rest of the thread and find it interesting the different impressions. I think there is something off about her mentally. I teach music to students with special needs and this includes people with a variety of neuro-atypical issues from paranoid schizophrenia, autism, and various brain injuries. The only "normal" context I see faces like hers are in competitive environments where people hide a lot of themselves. There is something missing in her face. Once, I see the video I may feel the same as you do. I think you make an interesting observation about her equating Poe with serial killers as though she doesn't have an internalized sense of ethics.

So just out of interest, I asked HilbertSpace what he thought of her expression. I haven't told him any context yet. He first said she looked like a ghost, and I asked why. It was because he read some African ghost stories in which the ghost mouths became larger and larger. Then he said her smile seemed fake. I think other people should ask what people think of her face without sharing any context whatsoever.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't understand how she was rehabilitated when she was sent to the new home. What did her new home do for her that her adopted parents didn't? Her adopted parents seemed like good/caring people, and in the documentary it was said that that was the focus and key for the rehab home.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I started Googling, just to get cross-references, and realized that Beth's therapist has been in the news since then... as the recipient of a prison term and removal of her privileges to work with kids, for the case that triggered Candace's Law -- the girl where there was a "fatal rebirth" reenactment during therapy some years back. Ouch.

http://jl10ll.wordpress.com/2010/10/...ldren-of-rage/

Another link about Beth nowaday:
    http://www.childrenintherapy.org/pro...s/thomasb.html

My best friend's brother ended up adopting children and one of them ended up being a child with attachment disorders. It was bad enough that they eventually had to institutionalize him for a time, for focused treatment and also to protect their other kids. It was a heartbreaking decision for them to make. At last mention, the boy had improved a huge amount and was no longer institutionalized. I'll have to ask my friend how his nephew is doing.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I think other people should ask what people think of her face without sharing any context whatsoever.
    That would be pretty interesting, to see.

Also, as part of the control, don't show just HER face -- include 2-3 pics of other people who don't have the same problems. See if they still pick her out as weird in some way.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That would be pretty interesting, to see.

Also, as part of the control, don't just show her face -- include 2-3 pics of other people who don't have the same problems. See if they still pick her out as weird in some way.
    That would be a really interesting experiment to do. I wonder about the responses. It is difficult to get past a sense of context because knowing a little more does leave me with a woozy bad feeling looking at her face. Initially I saw a range of possibilities, but context makes me target towards the negative end of the possible spectrum.
    (from Blue Velvet)