Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    This woman put murderers and prostitutes in the same sentence, then proceeded to list Edgar Allen Poe along side Saddam Hussein.

What this says to me that her grasp of ethics is still weird and way out of proportion to reality even if she's managed to internalize good and bad.
    I understand what you are saying marm i just think it's out of context slightly to be making such a judgement. If you look closely, and remember it's a quote so we might be missing punctuation, and definately accuentutation and intonation, well anyway it's here...

"Then you’re moving along into your psychopaths and sociopaths. And you’ve got Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer. And like Edgar Allen Poe, Saddam Hussein…"

There is a full stop after Dahmer... she mentions Bundy and Dahmer in realtion to psychopaths and sociopaths imo.
    Then she goes on to mention Edgar Allen, uses a comma and then Sadam but it's unfinished so how can we know what she moves onto unless we actually watch the vid? She could continue with "...was a poet"... the point being we do not have this info. She could just as easily have said "unlike" and it was confused with "and like"... or as you have mentioned she really could be confused re:ethics. The child in the vid did not seem that way to me though.

EDIT: I also found this...

http://www.arc-aflc.com/Chosen%20Chi...Conference.htm

Aparently she is now a neonatal nurse, of course this link just tells us (suggests) what her job is and nothing about who she is.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Actually i have been looking into Nancy Thomas and attachment therapy, i really don't like it...AT ALL, it seems pretty fundamentalist Christian they advocate things like holding therapy. Oh Gosh, it seems more like another form of abuse.

Hmmm, am remembering something about this, this may have come up in a thread before.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Can I just say that this little girl was sent to Connell Watkins for the attachment therapy that supposedly cured her, if only partially?

The same Connell Watkins who later KILLED Candace Newmaker in an attempt to administer attachment therapy?

Attachment therapy is pretty much regarded with universal suspicion and dislike. One of the few people who received it and speak of it positively as adults is Beth Thomas. Her mother also apparently markets parenting methods that involve "isolation, deprivation, humiliation, and being non-communicative with the child" as a cure for not only Reactive Attachment Disorder "(actually Attachment Therapy’s unrecognized diagnosis Attachment Disorder), but also for Asperger’s, Tourette’s Syndrome, and those who have been “ritualistically abused” by satanic cults."

ASPERGER'S AND TOURETTE'S ARE NOT THE SAME AS SATANIC ABUSE. I don't know if that's actually what she says and does, but Beth's sense of priorities seems skewed and she could very well have picked that up from her mom. They work as a team.

Lots of fishy things here. I feel horribly for her and the pain she endured as a baby, but there's a lot here that seems dissonant to me. It also scares me that she's is now a pediatric nurse. I immediately thought of Dexter and that one sociopathic nurse he discovered administering overdoses to her patients (I don't just believe Beth does the same thing but that's where my mind went.)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Can I just say that this little girl was sent to Connell Watkins for the attachment therapy that supposedly cured her, if only partially?

The same Connell Watkins who later KILLED Candace Newmaker in an attempt to administer attachment therapy?

Attachment therapy is pretty much regarded with universal suspicion and dislike. The only person who received it and speaks of it positively as an adult is Beth Thomas.

Lots of fishy things here. I feel horribly for her and the pain she endured as a baby, but there's a lot here that seems dissonant to me. It also scares me that she's is now a pediatric nurse. I immediately thought of Dexter and that one sociopathic nurse he discovered administering overdoses to her patients (I don't believe Beth does the same thing but that's where my mind went.)
    Exactly where i was headding, dots be connecting. So the fishy thing is then... who is Beth really if this therapy has only ever caused more suffering? Is she hiding behind a mask of even more pain or has she managed to adapt on her own through the maddness.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Exactly where i was headding, dots be connecting. So the fishy thing is then... who is Beth really if this therapy has only ever caused more suffering? Is she hiding behind a mask of even more pain or has she managed to adapt on her own through the maddness.
    Honestly, she has the ability to do a lot more harm using this method and in her current position. I think it must be triggering, at least, if not more pernicious than that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm skeptical that the quotes on the site linked are accurate or complete. That site has a bias against the kind of therapy she was given as a child and now promotes as an adult. The first clue was how they refer to her as a "survivor" of attachment therapy. That is not a value-neutral term. I'd have to view the DVD myself to judge whether she's quoted accurately or not.

Having said that, I'm also skeptical about the kind of therapy she was given as a child. Her mother is not a licensed therapist. This "attachment therapy" uses many of the same terms and labels that mainstream psychotherapy uses so it's easy to mistake it for an accepted tool of mainstream psychotherapy, but it's not. These are the people who hold and squeeze children against their will and do "rebirthing" procedures that involve wrapping them tightly in blankets, including their faces and heads, which has killed at least one child that I know of.

Edit: senza tema posted while I was composing this and said all of the things that trouble me about this. The attachment therapy that this girl went through is very aggressive and puts the therapist in complete control of the child. I would not be extremely surprised if this has become a semi-acceptable way for her to continue the cycle of abuse that she was subjected to as a child, by physically dominating and emotionally breaking children who are brought to her mom's center for "treatment."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    As much as I'm opposed to this sort of therapy, it seems unreasonable to say it only ever causes suffering and then infer something from that. There are so many possibilities here.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I also just wanted to say that very end of the video is so rehearsed, the way she changes her answer to "Who did you hurt the most?" to "myself". They'd obviously been coaching that answer for a while. She's learned to speak their language. Does she actually believe it? I don't know.

I'm inclined to think not.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    As much as I'm opposed to this sort of therapy, it seems unreasonable to say it only ever causes suffering and then infer something from that. There are so many possibilities here.
    Not when Beth is the only adult who has received the therapy to advocate it. I think that speaks volumes. I inferred two possibilities anyway one at either end of a spectrum, of course theres the whole middle part (or even more extremes) to explore if you chose to.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I also just wanted to say that very end of the video is so rehearsed, the way she changes her answer to "Who did you hurt the most?" to herself. They'd obviously been coaching that answer for a while. She's learned to speak their language. Does she actually believe it? I don't know.

I'm inclined to think not.
    I'm with you on that, the bird thing though, that sticks with me. I had the feeling that this was a severely damaged child who could benefit from therapy. Weather she received 'good' (appropriate/beneficial) therapy or weather she was abused more i just don't know. I wonder who the male therapist who's voice we hear in the vid is?